1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Alien Aspie, Apr 24, 2019.

1. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Wow - that is some lighting. A fusion of northern lights meets the planet Arrakis during a storm. Love the trees - watch out crow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bloods 5.5 this morning, today is special.

Good Afternoon Fellow posters and painters.

Today is Tuesday August 11th and the year is 1992.
    A 39 yr old husband, father of 3 young boys is in the Queen Elizabeth hospital on the operating table undergoing a 7 hour liver transplant.
    This posting is not about him it's about the brave family of the mid twenty year old man from the north of England that died and his family who donated his organs saving many lives. Also it's about the skill of the medical staff, friends and family who helped the transplant recipient survive mentally and physically.
    The recipient can never ever repay the debt he owes the above brave, skilful mentioned people, he vowed as he left the hospital that he would try and live as normal life as possible, as an example to other transplant patients and an example that transplantation does work.
    Please sign up to be a donor if the unthinkable happens and do not forget to tell your family.
    Thank you.

Ps a high percentage of transplant patients are diabetic.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  3. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Fbg this morning was 3.9 according to the Libre had been down to 3.0 in the night that must have been when I woke up looking for the chocolate in my bedside cabinet.

Checked the new sensor against prickometer yesterday prickometer was 4.4 Libre 15 minutes later was 4.3 so pretty much in accordance with each other.

Yesterday we went for a walk around the local reservoir at Kingsmill thought I could walk part way then back to the car not so they have put a one way rule in place so people can keep their distance better as they shouldn't encounter people approaching from the other direction so had to walk the entire periphery of the reservoir .

But still encountered several people who were determined to walk in the opposite direction some of the signs had been vandalized and one thrown in the lake.

One couple I observed standing next to a sign requesting people not to throw bread into the lake as it can kill the wild life and they were throwing loads of bread to the birds then they walked off past a sign asking people to follow the one way system in the direction opposite to the arrow on the sign some people are just incomprehensible.

http://www.nottsviews.co.uk/kings_m...voir was originally,and was completed in 1839.

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #29643 JohnEGreen, Aug 11, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  4. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

I hope I haven't got this all wrong alf but I would think the young man's family would take some comfort his liver went to someone who cherished the gift and made us all aware of how precious it was. Have a great day and many more.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I remember your post about this from last year I find it touching how you honor his memory each year that passes.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Muddy Cyclist

Muddy Cyclist Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A very special day indeed, a humbling remembrance post.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Muddy Cyclist

Similar situation here in Staffordshire countryside locations, plus litter, where have all these people with this awful attitude come from?

• Hug Hug x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Muddy Cyclist

Phantastical! Like this imaginative piece, bold colours, well drawn.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  9. Muddy Cyclist

Thank you.

Great photo I bet the ride down that steep decline was exhilarating.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ianpspurs

Amazing juxtaposition between @alf_Josiah's post and these two. As @dunelm says,they live amongst us and always have. Perhaps they had treated foreign shores that way but COVID has kept them home. Always staggered me how McDonald's packaging and abandoned clothing turned up in very isolated Fenland spots.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Muddy Cyclist

After yesterday @lindisfel mentioning tree roots and @geefull trying some Plein Air sketching and I mentioning Charcoal. I had the urge to go for a walk over Lord Wolseley's Estates to find some exposed Oak Tree roots I know with a view to sketching them in Charcoal. These are both A4 done with Willow Charcoal sticks, took 10 minutes each which is a good job because it was muggy hot.
    IMG_3642.JPG IMG_3641.JPG
    I have also started a watercolour but only the base so far as it seems to be taking ages to dry in this humidity.

Edit... just looked at packets with Chacoal Sticks in, one was 2s 9d and the other 2s 3d goes to show how long I have had them and how little use I give them :)

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ianpspurs

Very much I like those pieces - thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you @Muddy Cyclist
    :)

• Friendly Friendly x 5
  14. gennepher

I love both these charcoal sketches, and the boldness of the charcoal @Muddy Cyclist

It is a bit of a shock when you see the old money price stickers still on things...

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gennepher

Thank you very much @dunelm

However, the black cat is a bit miffed you missed him
    :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Muddy Cyclist

Thank you. Now I have found my charcoal I plan to do more, especially at the bargain price of 2/9. :)

@gennepher Thank you for comments on my Charcoal sketches. I just used the stick flat letting the pressure go from hard to soft and wonderful things just happen, no real skill on my part other than holding the stick.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
  17. dunelm

Thanks for sharing. I have been on the donor register for a few years and hope that parts of my miserable body may be of some use in the future.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  18. dunelm

Still work very well, lovely charcoal sketches

• Friendly Friendly x 5
  19. dunelm

Black cats who climb trees.....

• Funny Funny x 5
  20. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good evening all :)

4.5 this morning

a day at home doing catch up of a few things that were on the 'to do' list (some have been long term residents :hilarious:). A fairly muggy day with a heavy haar for most of the day. mr gee and I went out for a walk in the brief spell of brighter weather we got about 4 o'clock this afternoon and just made it home before the rain arrived :D

@gennepher 's thunder arrived to entertain us over our evening meal, quite unusual in that not only did it rumble but we got noises like lots of firecrackers going off in the distance too. mr gee thinks that it was quite a high level of electrical discharge ;) currently looking out of one window the sky is black and looking out of the other the sun is shining :)

the bread maker is chuntering away to itself on the worktop making a small loaf for mr gee so I expect to do my artwork accompanied by the scent of fresh bread ;)

A couple of new covid cases reported in the Highland area today, inevitable that the cases will rise with so many people out and about and moving between areas now I suppose.

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@alf_Josiah - a very thought provoking post, I'm glad you're here and agree that the best tribute must be a life well lived.

@ianpspurs - thanks for the info. I presume the 'kettle' is one of those soup dragon specials ;)

@gennepher - lovely art again, very striking (no pun intended :angelic:)
    I agree, on first aquaintance I'm a bit underwhelmed with the Derwent 'Graphitint' pencils, possibly why I managed to win them on ebay :hilarious:

@dunelm - once again a pleasing piece of work, I especially like the central trees :)

@Muddy Cyclist - I like your circle of trees though it didn't turn out quite as planned/expected, the glowing light gives them real scale and presence. thanks for the suggestion re the charcoal or softer pencil. I do have a 4B pencil and will give that a go. Two strong sketches today :joyful:

art bit -

like @dunelm I'm feeling it's a learning experience to try things inspired by other artists, this one is after an image by an artist @gennepher mentioned - John Blockley
    @9x6 painted with the 'white nights' and I had another bash at using the resist.

upload_2020-8-11_19-48-27.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook