Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In Somerset where I live there haven’t been too many cases however now the holiday season has started and the tourists are coming down hopefully this will not change but ......

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is Brendan O Neil with a pathologist on the topic of how this has been handled:
The Cruel Negligence of the Lockdown with Dr John Lee

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In Somerset where I live there haven’t been too many cases however now the holiday season has started and the tourists are coming down hopefully this will not change but ......
My dad, stepmum plus the in laws have all been lockdown in Ilminster/North Curry.
The mother in law is very proud of your low case and death rates and believes it is due to the lack of public transport. I think you will be okay unless you go to Butlins in Minehead or Wooky Hole!

Reactions: Daphne917 and zand

lindisfel

Expert
I agree with Boris proscribing Spain again,
a badly behaved dog has been let off the lead and the country needs to bring it to heel again.
It looks like numbers are going to rise in the coming weeks and more restrictions are in the pipeline.
D.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a badly behaved dog has been let off the lead and the country needs to bring it to heel again.
It looks like numbers are going to rise in the coming weeks and more restrictions are in the pipeline.
D.

I seem to recall seeing this prediction being made in the past (beaches, protests).. so far not happened.. hospitalisations and deaths continue to reduce in numbers...

Reactions: Speedbird

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes. I think we are being prepared for further restrictions because we will never be able to get rid of this virus especially since it is seasonal and therefore when we don't have it the tropics and Southern hemisphere will. Please be aware of the huge cost of this fear both economically and in lives lost because the NHS became the National Covid Service.

Rather than bringing it to heel how about putting our very elderly or vulnerable somewhere safe it that is their choice, and not muzzle the rest of us and especially not our young. We need to learn to live with this and as dogs go its not the Rotweiller it is being made out to be.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yes. I think we are being prepared for further restrictions because we will never be able to get rid of this virus especially since it is seasonal and therefore when we don't have it the tropics and Southern hemisphere will. Please be aware of the huge cost of this fear both economically and in lives lost because the NHS became the National Covid Service.

Rather than bringing it to heel how about putting our very elderly or vulnerable somewhere safe it that is their choice, and not muzzle the rest of us and especially not our young. We need to learn to live with this and as dogs go its not the Rotweiller it is being made out to be.

Of course, terms like 'elderly' and 'young' are subjective. This virus is killing working age people in their 30's and 40's - not something that I recall happening with any seasonal virus during my lifetime. I am pushing 60 and so to me, these people are still young.

I agree that we need to learn to live with the virus, but if that means continuing with social distancing and even lockdown measures then so be it.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
D.
You are referring to the U.K. here, yes?

lindisfel

Expert
You are referring to the U.K. here, yes?
I think the measure with Spain is a two edge sword. By preventing travel to the clubbing scene in resorts, it may prevent a faster spread here and track and trace may still be able to cope, plus local lock downs and closing pubs.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
After listening to the News this am it certainly feels as if we losing our grip on keeping Cov19 in the box again.

Track and trace, instead of a game of "wack a mole", is more like one of those dreams when one can't get away and feel as if one is wading through treacle.

Is there a plan.... a strategy to get us through the next year/months to the vaccine being available?

I hope so, surely we are not going to let another 50,000 die!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
After listening to the News this am it certainly feels as if we losing our grip on keeping Cov19 in the box again.

Track and trace, instead of a game of "wack a mole", is more like one of those dreams when one can't get away and feel as if one is wading through treacle.

Is there a plan.... a strategy to get us through the next year/months to the vaccine being available?

I hope so, surely we are not going to let another 50,000 die!
With this current government? I suspect no plan at all. There is no clear strategy, just a combination of destroying the economy, and allowing many more to die of non-covid by cancelling all routine care

Lockdown but keep pubs open and encourage more mixing in restaurants by halving the price of food whilst telling us to lose weight

Totally not mixed messages!

Reactions: JRT

Max68

Interesting Case Study from the spread in an Ohio Church.

Attachments

• Covid Spread Case Study.png
    Covid Spread Case Study.png
    383.5 KB · Views: 278
Reactions: JRT

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From the latest report to U.K. Government.

An interesting current comparison of rates between age groups.
Younger age groups up to 5 times the rate for 70 yr olds.
Easy to see who are taking more care and greater precautions.
Also easy to see just how important those precautions are
The below 20yrs info. Is surprising but perhaps reflects infection from parents.
Does this not strongly suggest that restrictions should be targeted to age groups and that the over 50s should not need to endure higher restriction!

Rather surprising that the media have not yet picked up on this. ....

upload_2020-8-14_16-5-4.jpeg

Note this is symptomatic.
Source https://covid-assets.joinzoe.com/latest/covid_symptom_study_report.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Tannith

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does this not strongly suggest that restrictions should be targeted to age groups and that the over 50s should not need to endure higher restriction!
The restrictions are aimed at the most vulnerable to protect them from the consequences of the disease and from your figures it would seem to be broadly working.