Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Tannith

BANNED
Are there any over 70's working in a hospital?
A handful. A few consultants and quite a lot of volunteers, some of whom didn't leave following covid or so I've read.
PS I scored 15. Of course I don't work in a hospital so it's not a problem.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I’ve had appts with a marvellous consultant (gynae). She was definitely above ‘retirement age’ but one of the nurses told me she was in her 80s. Worked part time.
I have to say that she had a much better bedside manner than I have seen in consultants half her age, and I had utmost confidence in her treatment.

Hopefully she, and other ‘at risk’ staff are being appropriately protected, or have retired, but I’ve seen stories in the news about staff who have come out of retirement to help with Covid, and who have died after being infected - but that was earlier in the Pandemic. Hopefully everyone is better informed, and the risk factors are better understood now.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"Are there any over 70's working in a hospital?"

Judith my missus is 67 so not far short of 70.

JRT

I’ve had appts with a marvellous consultant (gynae). She was definitely above ‘retirement age’ but one of the nurses told me she was in her 80s. Worked part time.
I have to say that she had a much better bedside manner than I have seen in consultants half her age, and I had utmost confidence in her treatment.

Hopefully she, and other ‘at risk’ staff are being appropriately protected, or have retired, but I’ve seen stories in the news about staff who have come out of retirement to help with Covid, and who have died after being infected - but that was earlier in the Pandemic. Hopefully everyone is better informed, and the risk factors are better understood now.
I remember when the government asked for retired nurses and medical workers to come out of retirement and help. At the time it had been identified that anyone in receipt of flu jab was at risk. I dont know what the average retirement age of these people is,but I do remember thinking that it seemed a risky idea! I suppose if you retired at 50 and were not directly dealing with Covid patients it may have been fine.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH scored 10 and he wasn’t even advised to shield by his GP - he’s been back working since April and so far has been ok.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think the fantastic Diabetes Consultant I see, who was called back from retirement, is at or close to 70, and he’s been working on the wards too.
I’m a 6 myself. T1 for 50 years, and I’m extremely glad I can do my ‘part-time’ pension boosting job from home and with our younger daughter’s help for any necessary distanced visits.
I’m lucky. I’m very very grateful I don’t have to make a decision like @Max68 about whether to return o the classroom. If I do then I’d definitely wear a mask and visor, take my own hand sanitiser and challenge the management to sack me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I scored 6 and I am 53.

however, I do not feel that the scoring system used is adequate. As an example, are other causes of severe inflammation and raised markers than are mentioned, and (of course) there is no factoring in (and no practical way of factoring in) the benefits of good nutrition, especially vitamins D/K2 and even zinc.

Max68

I scored 4 and a half as a male at 52. Gave myself a half with a BMI in the yellow zone! Maybe I should wallop on another 3 or 4 with my smoking history!!

Tannith

BANNED
Germany's schools being affected and they have far more stringent guidelines than ours!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...n-germany-s-capital/ar-BB18dQVQ?ocid=msedgdhp
We have precious little left to protect us now. Most lockdown measures have been lifted, and the rest will go once the schools reopen in 10 days' time. Thank goodness for compulsory masks in public places and on public transport. Let's hope that applies to the schoolkids. Public transport will be much more crowded when the kids go back to school and their parents return to their jobs. Just about everyone you meet will be at higher risk of being infected than they were during lockdown. We are going to reduce the frequency of our supermarket deliveries to minimise contact with delivery drivers and packers. That will mean less fresh food (as it doesn't keep). Still mustn't complain, at least we don't work in schools!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Oh dear I scored in the 20's though being 70 bumped it up a bit surprised that smoking not even touched on.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We have precious little left to protect us now. Most lockdown measures have been lifted, and the rest will go once the schools reopen in 10 days' time. Thank goodness for compulsory masks in public places and on public transport. Let's hope that applies to the schoolkids. Public transport will be much more crowded when the kids go back to school and their parents return to their jobs. Just about everyone you meet will be at higher risk of being infected than they were during lockdown. We are going to reduce the frequency of our supermarket deliveries to minimise contact with delivery drivers and packers. That will mean less fresh food (as it doesn't keep). Still mustn't complain, at least we don't work in schools!
We wash all Packaged deliveries in washing up liquid, just a little water on the gloves to make the detergent flow, or quarantine for three days. Sadly, lots of fresh food’s plastic wrapped these days, but it helps with the lipid-breaking de-Covid process. Deliveries are dropped off so no close contact.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Our next door neighbours arrive back from a well-deserved holiday in France today (she’s a doc and knows how to be very very careful). The quarantine rules were declared the day after they left. She shopped for us during lockdown and we’re trying really really hard to persuade them to let us get them some fresh veg to supplement the Brexit store and the stuff they put in the freezer before they went. They don’t want us to shop for them and I hope it’s not because she knows things about the UK’s r rate that the rest of us don’t yet.

Reactions: porl69 and JRT

JRT

Our next door neighbours arrive back from a well-deserved holiday in France today (she’s a doc and knows how to be very very careful). The quarantine rules were declared the day after they left. She shopped for us during lockdown and we’re trying really really hard to persuade them to let us get them some fresh veg to supplement the Brexit store and the stuff they put in the freezer before they went. They don’t want us to shop for them and I hope it’s not because she knows things about the UK’s r rate that the rest of us don’t yet.
It's very strange at the moment. I have given up following news closely on a daily basis just checking in on few trustworthy sources.
I have noticed on Covid reporting app that for the past two or three days no record of new reported cases etc.
When I checked gov.uk earlier in the week it recommended high risk people minimize social contact. I'm sure it was incredibly vague for a while.
Of course I could be mistaken.
Things almost seem strangely quiet in comparison.
I will listen to independent Sage see what they say.
Meanwhile I'm remaining very cautious!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think they said they were reconfiguring the figures, or the app, or both @JRT. It’s all as clear as mud. Maybe there’s something else going on too, lots of even more strange stuff, like the Daily Fail photoshop and The Sun’s old photos. Are they a distraction to keep us away from something else? Bannon connections? Increase in r? It makes any decisions very difficult so like you, I look at Independent Sage.

Reactions: JRT

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear I scored in the 20's though being 70 bumped it up a bit surprised that smoking not even touched on.
Did you note that being over 70 gives you a score of >6 not just 6. I assume this matrix is to decide where people are safe to work in the hospital and they have divided the risk into 3 bands for simplicity. Interesting but not necessarily relevant to the general public, in fact it mentions that it shouldn't be applied to household members.