Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The counter argument is that people were being reported of dying from COVID who actually died of other issues but just happened to test positive.

Where there are incredibly ill people with other conditions, you cannot always prove it was the cause or even a contributory factor. It’s not that simple

so arguably the figures they were previously presenting were manipulated to show that it was more severe

statistics easily bent to sell a narrative
That's my point. Neither method works.

Max68

I actually feel sorry for the Unions as this is all totally new or (novel!) so they just don't really know what to request or do as there is no precedent for it. My rep said the teachers could strike but they do realise the importance of getting the schools open and provide the education. Like you say though there isn't any real support for the vulnerable groups.

Not sure I'll be much use to be honest as I am supporting anxious children and yet will be anxious myself so probably won't be able to do my job properly as I'll be desperately trying to keep myself safe. I'll wear a mask, and maybe even a visor. I'll eat a banana for lunch as you don't have to touch the thing you are eating and I will social distance so will just support by being in the classroom but won't be helping any with their work at close quarters. I'll be in at 8.30 rather than 8 and will leave on the dot rather than help out elsewhere. Sounds harsh but I'll do what I need to do to lower my risks. If the school has a problem with that then so be it.

So many masks and visors out there it's difficult to choose,. I know the medical ones are one use only and cost a fortune so if anyone has any good ideas I'd appreciate it if you can PM me. Thanks,

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I actually feel sorry for the Unions as this is all totally new or (novel!) so they just don't really know what to request or do as there is no precedent for it. My rep said the teachers could strike but they do realise the importance of getting the schools open and provide the education. Like you say though there isn't any real support for the vulnerable groups.

Not sure I'll be much use to be honest as I am supporting anxious children and yet will be anxious myself so probably won't be able to do my job properly as I'll be desperately trying to keep myself safe. I'll wear a mask, and maybe even a visor. I'll eat a banana for lunch as you don't have to touch the thing you are eating and I will social distance so will just support by being in the classroom but won't be helping any with their work at close quarters. I'll be in at 8.30 rather than 8 and will leave on the dot rather than help out elsewhere. Sounds harsh but I'll do what I need to do to lower my risks. If the school has a problem with that then so be it.

So many masks and visors out there it's difficult to choose,. I know the medical ones are one use only and cost a fortune so if anyone has any good ideas I'd appreciate it if you can PM me. Thanks,

This is a useful study. They recommend N95 masks, which I find comfortable. Also, googles or face shields.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t the government advise not to use n95 except if you are medical staff?

That was way back at the beginning of the pandemic when PPE was in short supply.

If you can source n95 masks via a route that doesn’t deny a healthcareworker from using it, then go for it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the N95 is the FFP2? Problem is they cost a small fortune and 'd probably need to wear at least two a day and they are not reusable. The school or Government won't pay for them!

A kind soul on here suggested these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089NQP52J/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A13UCTAPNAI9O3&psc=1

I bought the FFP2 fluid resistant medical/surgical quality ones from somewhere. They weren't terribly expensive and we find them comfortable. I originally found them on Google but have lost the link now. What you may find useful are Microsafe 70% Alcohol Skin & Surface Moist Wipes . They come in small sachets and can be used not only to wipe your hands but mainly I use them for cutlery and crockery when eating out, and when visiting toilets for touching door handles with, toilet flushing mechanisms, or anything else you may have to touch. Easy to carry several sachets in your pockets.

Reactions: Max68

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Is the N95 is the FFP2? Problem is they cost a small fortune and 'd probably need to wear at least two a day and they are not reusable. The school or Government won't pay for them!

A kind soul on here suggested these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089NQP52J/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A13UCTAPNAI9O3&psc=1
I buy the N95 for £2 at my local pharmacy and the Pharmacist recommends wearing them for 10 days x 12 hours. He and his staff wear them and wipe down with disinfectant gel after work also. I haven't tried this as I haven't worn one for a total of 12 hours yet.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy the N95 for £2 at my local pharmacy and the Pharmacist recommends wearing them for 10 days x 12 hours. He and his staff wear them and wipe down with disinfectant gel after work also. I haven't tried this as I haven't worn one for a total of 12 hours yet.
I heard health workers at the worst of the shortages were doing similar, or placing inside paper bags for 2 or 3 days before reusing them once possible virus has degraded over time. I think they do last longer than the blue II2 ones and can be stored and used until the cumulative useable time has passed. But I’d double check that before doing it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't own any of these myself, but I was so impressed by the apparently robust nature of the thing that made me ask the lady wearing it. She confirmed it to be comfortable and robust.

https://lockwood-packaging-ltd.myshopify.com/

Reactions: HSSS, ert and Max68

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The poll has now closed result:
39% think it safe
60% think it unsafe
1% unsure.
A significant number, that needs addressing with further safety measures not threats of fines and criminality!

I also saw articles in the “i” last night finally asking about the associated risks to teachers and families not just the generally low risk pupils, and others talking about long covid in people with non serious covid initially (often young people). The press are finally asking about the inconsistency of guidelines within school compared to all other venues and the Virus’ miraculous and convenient ability to wait at the school gates before spreading widely amongst rampaging teens after school in the streets, beaches and shops

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Reactions: Max68

Max68

The poll has now closed result:
39% think it safe
60% think it unsafe
1% unsure.

I think the one per cent unsure was Boris voting!!

Honestly, the cast of Rainbow could do a better job of running the country!

Thanks all for the messages and suggestions, it's most appreciated. Never in a million years did I ever think I would be on an Internet Forum asking others what face masks may keep me safer at work!! I'm also going to be wearing some red ruby slippers to work and click the heels three times at 4pm!!

Max68

See South Korea has closed down schools again due to a surge in cases and the Koreans have managed this pandemic remarkably well. Why do we not learn from what's happening elsewhere until it's too late? This Government has not performed one proactive decision.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
An Academy Head has instigated masks in corridors, he said that without good guidance from the govt he was going to make his own decisions.

Max68

An Academy Head has instigated masks in corridors, he said that without good guidance from the govt he was going to make his own decisions.

As they all should. I'm staggered school Head's haven't just made a decision and made masks mandatory. I assume most of them can read so therefore would be able to read about what's happening in South Korea and the US. If the Government questions it the reply you give is to make schools as safe as possible by mandatory masks. Head's cannot get into trouble from the Government for protecting pupils and staff surely.

Reactions: Tannith