Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Max68

Well I received a reply from my chasing up letter to my MP.

"Thank you for your email, I am currently awaiting a reply from DHSC and also sent an urgent enquiry directly to the Minister for Prevention, Public Health and Primary Care, Jo Churchill MP. I am still awaiting their reply.

The latest Government guidelines remain the same as when I last spoke to you regarding clinically vulnerable and extremely vulnerable groups returning to schools in September. I hope the latest announcements regarding the wearing of face masks have provided some reassurance to you.

As I said previously, when I receive a response from DHSC or the relevant Minister, I will be back in touch as soon as possible.

Kind regards,"

I have replied to her stating that as I work in an SEN school where masks do not have to be mandated it leaves me with no reassurance at all!!

Max68

Interesting that Glasgow is moving into lockdown measures again after cases rise. The rise a couple of weeks after schools returned and yet family gatherings seem to be taking the blame?! Not sure if politicians are blind, plain stupid or just don't give a monkeys as long as schools are open!!

It's like they are seemingly oblivious to the possible comparisons to the Spanish Flu epidemic of 100 years ago. Cases fell, deaths went down so things opened up and yet the second wave hit harder than the first. The human race never seems to learn!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting that Glasgow is moving into lockdown measures again after cases rise. The rise a couple of weeks after schools returned and yet family gatherings seem to be taking the blame?! Not sure if politicians are blind, plain stupid or just don't give a monkeys as long as schools are open!!

It's like they are seemingly oblivious to the possible comparisons to the Spanish Flu epidemic of 100 years ago. Cases fell, deaths went down so things opened up and yet the second wave hit harder than the first. The human race never seems to learn!
We learn. They know what they are doing. This is not through ignorance or stupidity. This is deliberately choosing to put the economy before people.

Max68

We learn. They know what they are doing. This is not through ignorance or stupidity. This is deliberately choosing to put the economy before people.

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I heard about the plans to hike fuel duty. Bad enough thinking you might be risking your life going to the workplace but it looks like it will cost you extra to do it!!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I heard about the plans to hike fuel duty. Bad enough thinking you might be risking your life going to the workplace but it looks like it will cost you extra to do it!!
it already has for london, as they raised the congestion charge etc about 6 weeks ago.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New Interesting that Glasgow is moving into lockdown measures again after cases rise. The rise a couple of weeks after schools returned and yet family gatherings seem to be taking the blame?! Not sure if politicians are blind, plain stupid or just don't give a monkeys as long as schools are open!!
Or it could be as Nicola Sturgeon says that hardly any children were involved.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or it could be as Nicola Sturgeon says that hardly any children were involved.
Involved in what way? The children, and any adults they know didn't come into contact with any of those recently infected?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Involved in what way? The children, and any adults they know didn't come into contact with any of those recently infected?
Make of it what you will but this is what the BBC News website reports.....

Ms Sturgeon said the reopening of schools had not been responsible for what had happened.
She said a "very small number" of school-age children had tested positive for the virus, and that this had mostly been driven by community transmission.

Max68

Some positive and hopeful news regarding masks being a possible benefit to the wearer. I'll also post this in the masks thread. Well worth a watch.

Tannith

BANNED
Some positive and hopeful news regarding masks being a possible benefit to the wearer. I'll also post this in the masks thread. Well worth a watch.

As one of the lucky ones who don't have to go to work (retired) I have been thinking about what other measures I might take to protect myself from the next wave which I think will inevitably follow the return of children to school and some of their parents to work. I am going to reduce my supermarket deliveries. Also pay greater attention to safety measures which might prevent me having an accident which might necessitate a hospital or healthcare visit. Eg falls, or a cut in the garden requiring a tetanus jab. I shall also never bring raw chicken into the house. It just isn't worth the risk of the infections it carries in a time of pandemic.

Reactions: Fairygodmother
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I haven't heard anything from my county council regarding my return to my school fun. We had 3 children, in a 7 seater taxi, so I can't see that continuing even with PPE. There may be another run with maybe just 1 child, with social distancing in place and masks, travelling in a large seater mini bus ? Some of these SEN children are classed as vulnerable and I am happy to return, even if it was for just a couple of days a week.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Max68

Well I'm back tomorrow even though I haven't received back my Individual Risk Assessment although looking at the School Covid Risk Assessment I'm not too hopeful. All it really states about staff is "for the vast majority of children and staff, coronavirus (COVID-19) will not cause serious illness." Let's hope I'm one of the majority!!

Start off with two training days and I am on the Team Teach Group! Decided I'm going literally put myself first as I've no other options and I'm going to bypass the bacon rolls in the morning and BBQ at the end and just observe the Team Teach. Just emailed the Teacher in charge and said I won't be doing the practical as it involves contact with others. Might not go down well but at this stage to be honest I don't give a monkeys!!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Preliminary study coming out States that Heparin wraps itself around covid 19 spiked protein and leads to its destruction.
Not tried in life.
Already known to have some antiviral properties as well as well known anticoagulant.
D.

https://www.healio.com/news/hematol...um=email&utm_campaign=news&m_bt=2929176551620
I suppose you could use the rat killer warfarin as a diy if you knew the doses. It’s a dangerous idea though, so don’t try this at home!

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrcardio.2017.172

Tannith

BANNED
Well I'm back tomorrow even though I haven't received back my Individual Risk Assessment although looking at the School Covid Risk Assessment I'm not too hopeful. All it really states about staff is "for the vast majority of children and staff, coronavirus (COVID-19) will not cause serious illness." Let's hope I'm one of the majority!!

Start off with two training days and I am on the Team Teach Group! Decided I'm going literally put myself first as I've no other options and I'm going to bypass the bacon rolls in the morning and BBQ at the end and just observe the Team Teach. Just emailed the Teacher in charge and said I won't be doing the practical as it involves contact with others. Might not go down well but at this stage to be honest I don't give a monkeys!!
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...re-data-support-covid-19-aerosol-transmission
The findings support previous studies that concluded that COVID-19 is mostly likely spread by aerosols rather than large respiratory droplets or contaminated surfaces, the researchers said. Such studies have documented airborne spread in semi-enclosed environments such as a choir practice in Washington state and a restaurant in Guangzhou, China.

Tannith

BANNED
I haven't heard anything from my county council regarding my return to my school fun. We had 3 children, in a 7 seater taxi, so I can't see that continuing even with PPE. There may be another run with maybe just 1 child, with social distancing in place and masks, travelling in a large seater mini bus ? Some of these SEN children are classed as vulnerable and I am happy to return, even if it was for just a couple of days a week.
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...-experts-ignoring-airborne-covid-spread-risky
"There is every reason to expect that SARS-CoV-2 behaves similarly, and that transmission via airborne microdroplets is an important pathway," they wrote. "Viral RNA associated with droplets smaller than 5 μm has been detected in air, and the virus has been shown to survive equally well, if not better, in aerosols compared to droplets on a surface."

While current guidance from many international and national agencies recommends handwashing, physical distancing, and droplet precautions, most, including the WHO, don't recognize airborne transmission other than through aerosol-generating procedures, such as intubations, conducted in healthcare settings. The authors said they want the organization to redefine airborne transmission to include the inhalation of microscopic respiratory droplets close to the infectious source.

CIDRAP Director Michael Osterholm, PhD, MPH, agrees that the WHO needs to concede that viruses such as COVID-19 can spread via the airborne route. "We are long overdue for the WHO to confront the blind spot it has had for accepting the critical importance of airborne transmission of respiratory pathogens such as influenza and SARS-CoV-2," he said.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
An interesting theory @lucylocket61, it certainly brings symptoms under one causal roof.