What do centenarians around the world eat?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a book and several articles written by a man born in 1820 in a small East Lancashire village. He was a social historian and prolific collector of family tit bits from around his village and surrounding areas. He wrote throughout his life. He was in his late 90's when he died (having recently married his much, much younger housekeeper). He mentions a few times that if one can pass the measles stage without mishap, and survive childbirth, one tends to live to a ripe old age.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a book and several articles written by a man born in 1820 in a small East Lancashire village. He was a social historian and prolific collector of family tit bits from around his village and surrounding areas. He wrote throughout his life. He was in his late 90's when he died (having recently married his much, much younger housekeeper). He mentions a few times that if one can pass the measles stage without mishap, and survive childbirth, one tends to live to a ripe old age.

I have passed both measles stages, mumps, and chickenpox, and I will never have to worry about surviving childbirth! So hopefully I will continue on enjoying life for awhile. Something to look forward to on my 68th birthday! :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Deborah5832

My mother is 92 and has broken every dietary/health rule in the book. Smoked like a chimney for 50 years, drank like a fish for decades, lived on fast food and junk food, never exercised a day in her life, was overweight and had untreated higher blood pressure for years. No diabetes, no liver or kidney or heart disease
Oh I wish I had her genes. So much is the luck of the draw
My grandma almost made 100. Her favourite dish was onion pie and steeped peas. She also swore by a small glass of sherry daily.
M

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mother is 92 and has broken every dietary/health rule in the book. Smoked like a chimney for 50 years, drank like a fish for decades, lived on fast food and junk food, never exercised a day in her life, was overweight and had untreated higher blood pressure for years. No diabetes, no liver or kidney or heart disease
M

You do have her genes. :) Who knows, you may live to be 93 or more! :)

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

I wonder if that holds true for those older folk who are surviving covid 19... Maybe they are also the ones who got through measles and childbirth too.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
M

Makes me think we are all obsessing over diet unnecessarily because it seems there's a lot more that goes into who gets ill and why.
I heard an interview with one centenarian talking about what her secret to old age might be and all she said was something along the lines of "I don't hold grudges. People have hurt me many times in life. I just let go and move on." She was eating spaghetti and meatballs during the interview so she probably doesn't have diabetes either.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For semi-toothless old me, sausages and mince in various forms (burgers, meatballs) work well, most fish doesn't need a lot of serious chewing either, and chocolate is melt in the mouth, so no need for carby bread or porridge - ever!

My ancient mum's solution to any potential toothy problems was to have all her own teeth extracted :wacky::eek: when she was in her late 40s, and relied on dentures for the next 40+ years....

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
My aunt, who lived to 93, was slim and active, was persnickety-fussy about everything she ate; my husband’s s aunt, who lived to 92, was plump and did very little exercise, ate anything and everything she wanted. I still reckon it’s telomere length and genes, accidents and misadventures plus geographical and historical chances that affect lifespan.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Carbs are not damaging for those who are not diabetics. Just a dairy products are not damaging for those who have no lactose intolerance, or nuts are great for those without a nut allergy.

I wish we could get past the thinking that carbs are bad for everyone, at all times.

It's the amount of carbs that you eat, how frequently you eat them throughout the day, and if you mix them with fats. Factor in your genetics and sooner or later hyperinsulinemia wins out and hyperglycemia ensues.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the amount of carbs that you eat, how frequently you eat them throughout the day, and if you mix them with fats. Factor in your genetics and sooner or later hyperinsulinemia wins out and hyperglycemia ensues.
Most people, regardless of their carb intake, do not become type 2 diabetics. For the majority of people carbs are not harmful.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Most people, regardless of their carb intake, do not become type 2 diabetics. For the majority of people carbs are not harmful.

That's a rather broad sweeping absolute statement. I can't say I'd agree with it.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Yup there is a genetic lottery. It looks from the anecdotes that it is a small minority that can eat, drink, smoke, be overweight etc and have a long lifespan, maybe some of the 12% by US figures who are metabolically healthy in a sea of sewage (my opinion of SAD eating).

For the rest of us it might be prudent to not rely on luck and stack the cards more in our own favour.

Healthspan I feel is as important as lifespan I.e. being vibrant and active aka Norman Wisdom, Bruce Forsyth - note their physical performance levels in later life.

I would prefer to live to 85 walking in Wales, and drop dead, on no pills, walking aids, in and out of Doctors / hospitals, than 90 with the last 20 years vice versa.