Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning all. Stay well, please, @LooperCat. I’m hoping your tiredness and highs are due to a subtle undercurrent of extra anxiety with your man child isolating, lockdown, early rising and hopes that you get to the end of the course without too many extra obstacles. May it all resolve well for you.
Stay well too @Japes!
Grandsons are back at school, though the younger one’s already exhausted and gone into ‘bambino’ mode. It’s the family term for the poor little boy’s dramatic tired, hangry, and in this case no doubt worried reactions. Son-in-law’s exhausted by work and trying to keep the workplace functioning and Covid free. Older daughter’s just waiting for more year groups to have to isolate.
Your damp patch is intriguing @Marie 2, like the significant detail in a 1930s film where the stars are clothed in glamorous robes and the set is full of moody lighting.
Here in retirement land the sun’s shining but it’s getting chillier. I see Lidl have lined wellies in the middle aisle this week so I’m off to see if I can nab some: my last pair have developed a hole. If I get new ones then we can safely bet on a dry winter down here! I’m also going to visit a garden centre in the hope they still have a few fish for the pond. There are five who’ve been there long enough to become big and set in their ways. They remind me of boring middle aged members of a club; if we’re going to be spending more time at home in the coming months then I think interesting social pond events are required.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning everyone,
BG sort of behaving which is surprising considering I'm eating tomatoes every day, there's a glut. Photos of 2 dishes on T1 food. I also had a sneaky brandy snap yesterday which did nothing to BG and made me smile. As a child, I used to get them when the fair was in town.
Lined wellies sound useful @Fairygodmother, a welly with a hole is of no use but I think I'll stick with my old ones and thermal socks.
Off into Oxford for a Thai lunch later

Reactions: hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh brandy snaps, I used to love them. We learned to make them in cookery at school. Magic - from a sticky featureless sludgy paste time a crisp and holey tube.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB Also have a glut of fabulous tomatoes. Sister in law via FaceTime from Toronto advised freezing. Which she has done previously. Just freeze whole and then use in cooking. Now have 4 bags in freezer. Often use fresh for cooking.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, late on parade, my sister and brother in law came over fora few days, including my birthday yesterday, and have now left. Feels very empty without them, but we had a really great time and the weather was perfect for going out - socially distanced, btw.

@LooperCat and @Japes, please take care, I've just retired and count myself very forunate to be able to decide who I mix with. Kudos to you and everyone else doing jobs where you have no choice but to take risks.

I'm now off to do some much-needed mowing; lovely day in Somerset, even with a brisk wind. Good for grass cutting. Have a good day all.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB Also have a glut of fabulous tomatoes. Sister in law via FaceTime from Toronto advised freezing. Which she has done previously. Just freeze whole and then use in cooking. Now have 4 bags in freezer. Often use fresh for cooking.
@becca59 I freeze them too but the fresh ones are just so lovely. To be honest, I'm not sure they affect BG that badly.
@hh1 I don't have grass but love the smell. I was listening to Ramblings on Radio 4 about the Somerset levels, Sweet Track, Green Down and Niland Hill. It sounded brilliant walking country
Thai food is clearly very naughty, hidden sugar and underestimated hugely. BG bad Yummy though.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm doing my best to be safe, honest! Once out of work, I'm not going near people any more than I can help. In fact, I'm probably more likely to get run over by the burgeoning infestation of e-scooters and bikes on pavements. I decided I was safer taking my chances on the bus home for two evenings this week.

Diabetes is behaving beautifully for the moment and I've had the first "Snap" moment with this year's student with T1. (Matching numbers at break time yesterday.) Not got a name for this one yet...

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, late on parade, my sister and brother in law came over fora few days, including my birthday yesterday, and have now left. Feels very empty without them, but we had a really great time and the weather was perfect for going out - socially distanced, btw.

@LooperCat and @Japes, please take care, I've just retired and count myself very forunate to be able to decide who I mix with. Kudos to you and everyone else doing jobs where you have no choice but to take risks.

I'm now off to do some much-needed mowing; lovely day in Somerset, even with a brisk wind. Good for grass cutting. Have a good day all.
Belated birthday wishes hh1 x

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @karen8967 :)

@SueJB I'm east of the levels, but do go over that way sometimes. If I go to Glastonbury, one of my favourite routes to get there takes me across the edge of the levels, and the view all the way is of flat grassland (prone to flooding) with cattle, lots of streams, and Glastonbury Tor rising straight ahead. Fantastic.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@hh1
Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There are now 6 new little fish in the pond, a mixed lot of yellow, orange, yellow and white, and one that’s a bit of everything. They seem very very tiny compared to the 5 who’ve been living in the pond for three years. They’re my birthday present to myself, so neighbourhood cats lay off!
And I got the wellies, bright yellow ones: I’ll be easy to spot if I ever go a over t in the veg bed.
Bloods 5.2 on waking, a bit up after a bit of homemade damson jam on toast at breakfast though. Even though I made it myself, I have no real idea of the jam’s carb content, so it’s guess and correct jam.
Have a good weekend everyone.

Reactions: hh1

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are now 6 new little fish in the pond, a mixed lot of yellow, orange, yellow and white, and one that’s a bit of everything. They seem very very tiny compared to the 5 who’ve been living in the pond for three years. They’re my birthday present to myself, so neighbourhood cats lay off!
And I got the wellies, bright yellow ones: I’ll be easy to spot if I ever go a over t in the veg bed.
Bloods 5.2 on waking, a bit up after a bit of homemade damson jam on toast at breakfast though. Even though I made it myself, I have no real idea of the jam’s carb content, so it’s guess and correct jam.
Have a good weekend everyone.
happy birthday fairygodmother xx

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Fairygodmother
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy
Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday!Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday!Happy Birthday!

Last edited:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy Birthday @Fairygodmother and belated Happy Birthday @hh1 !

I have decided on the way forwards - silence on public transport. It will reduce my stress levels no end anyway, but also means I'm not sitting in the cross-fire of un-masked household groups/bubbles yelling arrant nonsense at one another the length of the bus for the 10 or so minutes this was subjected to me today. I'd've got off the bus and got on the next one, but there's no telling if that would've been any better on a Saturday lunchtime.