What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Nick99.9

Hello mates,
At a couple of the other forums I've frequented there was a thread like this one where we all sorta checked in each day, with our first cup of coffee or tea, and reported our fasting or waking blood glucose level and some short comment about whether we're ok with it or if not - why not?...

It worked well as a sort of 'first thread to check' each morning and post to.

I'll start.

This morning was a 5.6mmol for me. That's about normal for me

What about you?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, very very new to this. Just been diagnosed, all a bit shocking. I’ve bought a sinocare monitor. Took this morning after fasting 9 hours. It was 8.5. Took again, different finger and it was 7.2 . Do you think I need a new or more accurate blood glucose monitor?

Hi,

It is quite usual to get discrepancies in readings within a minute or so from separate sites.

I can take your post & give it it's own topic if you wish. To avoid confusing this topic.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning which was the middle choice for three tests. Average of the 3 would be 5.3 but I wont be pedantic. Have a good day everyone I intend to even if it is raining outside;).

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm impressed with these numbers @Pipp, any tips to pass on?
I lost some weight recently with very low carb, and around 1000 calories a day. Also shifted ‘eating window’ to earlier, having previously missed breakfast. Finish eating by 7:30 pm, and breakfast around 8:0am. No snacks. Walking a bit more, as missing gym and swim. Cut out cream, nuts, and I am eating less cheese. :(.
However, yesterdays walk through forest has resulted in the resident insects feasting on me, despite my efforts to put them off with citronella spray. They have dined on the back of my hands. (Yes all this handwashing meant I provided clean, fresh food for the pesky midges) . I have huge itchy lumps on hands and a BG of 7.2 this morning. :banghead::banghead:

Reactions: DJC3

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hello all,

@JohnEGreen -- Hugs for the 3.2 and not feeling great.
@DJC3 -- It's frustrating, isn't it? Sometimes, there just isn't any rhyme or reason to it. Hope the rest of the day will be better for you.
@Nick99.9 -- Welcome to the thread.

Fasting bloods were 4.8 for me today.
Had some breakfast coffee and a slice of buttered toast now up to 4.3 so feeling a bit better.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost some weight recently with very low carb, and around 1000 calories a day. Also shifted ‘eating window’ to earlier, having previously missed breakfast. Finish eating by 7:30 pm, and breakfast around 8:0am. No snacks. Walking a bit more, as missing gym and swim. Cut out cream, nuts, and I am eating less cheese. :(.
However, yesterdays walk through forest has resulted in the resident insects feasting on me, despite my efforts to put them off with citronella spray. They have dined on the back of my hands. (Yes all this handwashing meant I provided clean, fresh food for the pesky midges) . I have huge itchy lumps on hands and a BG of 7.2 this morning. :banghead::banghead:

Sorry to hear about the itchy lumps and the higher BG, but at least you know the reason for the uplift and the levels will come down again.:)

I was interested as I too am trying to adjust my diet to lower my cholesterol whilst still keeping my bloods in order - just not too sure which way to go - as a try out I too have dropped the cream and reduced cheese - and eggs as well (although the dietician said eggs were ok). My primary fat is now extra virgin olive oil but a spoonful of Olive Oil (Yuck!) is just not the same as a slice of butter for staving off hunger. I'm trying to add a lot more fibre, as I wasn't having much before so I've introduced things like flaxseeds, chia and other seeds as well as eating lots of nuts. I am also bingeing on fish and I'm starting to look like an avocado. Quite restrictive but hope it does some good, I have purchased some cholesterol test strips to see.

I did wonder if you were trying the Newcastle diet again, as I think you mentioned a while ago that you were considering this. Its good to see your series of low results best I think have seen you post so I say again well done!

Reactions: DJC3