What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb it may be late but thinking of you!
@PenguinMum my heart goes out to you for missing your son. I think here there will be many Zoom Christmas gatherings. Apparently huge Zoom Passover seders were made to work well, so that's something. Knowing he'll be alone is wrenching.
@maglil55 your rant is appreciated-- takes me out of our hideous politicized EVERYTHING going on here. When Ruth Bader Ginsberg(Supreme Court Justice known for her fight for women's rights down the decades) died recently, things became nearly unsalvageable. Our current man who would be king ... well, I will shut up!
@Annb I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your report. So sorry you will have to do the full prep! And glad your procedures were successful anyway!
@SlimLizzy ahhh now I understand re cat. I had the misconception that France would be year-round! I am sorry you'll lose him...
@Chook your poor mum! My mom had never cooked before she married either. My father was a saint, praising her every dish every blessed meal until the day he died. I grew up thinking that the only fish in the world was frozen haddock (YUK!) so I hated all fish until someone introduced me to salmon in college. She did make really good potatoes, baked, mashed, scalloped, roasted in the roast pan... her cookies were overdone until the day she stopped living independently. Her pies, OTOH.... Dad loved pie and she made many of them!
Lol @Antje77, I thought "Maartje" must be a diminutive for a "Martin" equivalent. Glad he's doing so well!
@annabell1 hugs for "starved eating" and the not feeling well!
@Rachox I am imagining you shepherding a large phd bar in shops...
@Sarbak I had the same reaction to the sprouts and blue cheese!
@MrsA2 they sound like good choices to me too! Sorry your body didn't like it. You probably only can have that meal on the third day of a waning moon in months that don't have an R in them....
Wed fudz:
Bfast avocado, pecans, 2 scrambled eggs (who used up the last boiled egg?!!!) and flax crisps/dilute soymilk.
Decided to go to work on no lunch and survived!
Supper cherry tomatoes, tin of sardines minus the water and half a sardine, which are being saved for the hideously constipated cat, to try to get some laxative into him. He threw up his entire breakfast, so in addition to being constipated, he doesn't have any arthritis med on board to make his life just a little easier.... poor poor baby. Spinach/hm dressing (had some on the sardines too-- very nice!), pecans, flax crisps etc
Good night all and good morning in a few hours!

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Work today was participating in a "taping" of the church service to be streamed/tv broadcast this Sunday. There was a discussion of keto afterwards-- the music minister is on it possibly for his cognition, and another minister has lost 55 lbs! My cellist is also doing it. She seems to have lost weight. Another, male, minister, has been ragged about how he should button his suit jacket when standing up, so he demonstrated how one shouldn't buy a new suit just before gaining one's covid-15..... and then a camera gopher came up and told him he had something in his hair, so would he please allow the gopher to mess with his heavily arranged hair. Maybe you had to be there, but I was thinking monkeys grooming each other, someone said he looked like Trump Junior, and the pianist joked "it's lice"! Which is kind of funny because this is going to be the first year ever that every child in this or that classroom doesn't come home with the dreaded letter......

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh ****.
I was going to sleep after a midnight snack of some pork scratchings and nuts in bed.

I used to have tame rats, and I know what it sounds like when they're eating.
I hear this sound right now, either upstairs or high up in the wall. And I do not have tame rats anymore...

I'll open the hatch to the attic tomorrow morning and I'll hope the cats will solve the problem, preferably when I'm not at home.

Reactions: maglil55

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I'm sure the Mediterranean diet is excellent for lots of people. Not so good for people who need to eat low carb/high fat meals. There must be many reasons why people have difficulty with carbs as well as diabetics so although the Mediterranean diet has much to recommend it, it's not suitable for everyone (those who advocate it often seem to forget, or not know, that).

I often wonder if the root cause of these dietary problems for so many of my generation in Britain was the wartime/post wartime diet which was available to us. From some years before my birth in 1945 to the end of rationing in 1953, the main foodstuffs available were root veg and starchy carbs. Even coffee was made from grains like barley, sometimes from dandelion root (Dad always called it "ersatz" and refused to drink it). The main source of protein was offal and it wasn't cheap ( each animal only has one heart, one liver, 2 kidneys and so on) and so it wasn't as cheap as it should have been, so a little was made to go a long way by being bulked out with starchy carbs. Dairy products were severely rationed (eg a tiny amount of butter to last a week). As rationing eased, what became available first? Sugar! Sweets! Rubbish chocolate! But we loved those things and became used to having them. As time went on, fast foods and treats became more commonplace until we arrived at the situation we find ourselves in - consuming sugary, starchy, fatty foods as the main part of our diet. It won't have led to diabetes in everyone, of course, but I do think it is a major factor.

My favourite Mediterranean ingredients are garlic and tomatoes. Those don't seem to do any damage, although they do, of course, contain sugar.
I was checking out michael mosley website he recommends a Mediterranean type of diet but tells people to avoid the pasta bread carbs which makes sense. @Annb hope all comes back ok for you polyps I have quite a few of them as well and the picolox is the worse part of the scopes somtehing I have to do every time I have a colonoscopy or an enema for the sigmoidscopy which I have to have every 6 months due to my UC/CROHNS the only good thing about having these is I get to have a sleep haha.

Reactions: DJC3

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
got up earlier than normal well 9.30am is early for me these days lol.... as usually been getting up after 11ish. haha.... but put a few loads of washing on last night so got up to hang them was a lovely spring day but the afternoon is still getting quite cold so wanted to get them to dry in time before the cool air hits them in the afternoon.

breakfast baked beans on sourdough baguette and black coffee. now have heartburn even though I take somac .... then went to bring the bins in and my next door neighbour heard me and came out for a chat as we hadn't seen each for a bit and when we talk we seem to chat for ever when we do chat so we stand out our front yards and chat for a few hours by then it was nearly 3pm so we both went on our way so I pulled down the clothes and was felling a bit peckerish so cut up some parsley tomatoes etc. to make a small batch of tabellah and had few spoonful's wrapped in cos lettuce and put the remaining in the fridge for another time maybe later tonight or for tomorrow Just watching the end of the Bold and the Beautiful and now the news is on was good to see they are starting to relax the restrictions between some state borders which is great news here down under. Just wish hings will settle down for other countries around the world. dinner will see how I am travelling after having a small snack this afternoon.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
24.09.2020 still trying to catch up.
You made me laugh out loud! 'Maurice' 's name is Maartje. But Maartje is definitely a feminine name in the Netherlands, which is a bit weird for a male cat like him (it always completely confuses everyone at the vets office, especially that time he was in to be neutered :hilarious:), so perhaps Maurice would suit him better! I'll try it out :)
Fairly sure it was predictive text that altered your cats name. But hey, if it amused you that's good.
@Annb So many health issues in your family. Are any resolved yet?
@DJC3 like the look of that croquetMonsieur and with winter coming will be needing something other than salad.
@maglil55 will be googling LC ginger cookie recipies. I do miss biscuits sometimes, more so now that there are always some in the house for MrSlim.
@MrsA2 There are tines when I feel like that too. Today am driving 11k to shop, same franchise different town, (opposite direction to yesterday's shops ) to buy the half dozen essential items unavailable yesterday. Would be great to find all I need in one shop. Or even one town.
@Mauriac you are being very hard on yourself. Caring gets more stressful the longer it goes on. The issues get more complicated and you too are becoming more fragile. It's not surprising you find it difficult sometimes. Try to imagine what you would say to someone else in your position. Am sure you would be kinder to them. I know I am my own fiercest critic.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 16.2. Off to the hospital at 10 to 7. Neil dropped me off but didn't go shopping - he usually goes on Thursday and thought there was no point today.

Given an enema - about half a pint of some liquid or other, which promptly disappeared never to return again - well, not fairly rapidly as they had hoped. They kept on popping in to ask "anything yet?" "nope". Eventually the locum surgeon (lovely man - a returned retiree I would think) came in to ask the same question. Negative answer. So he took the second person off the list to give me time and then came back - still nothing. He wondered why, with my history, he had only been asked to do a sigmoidoscopy, not a colonoscopy. Should I know (shrugging shoulders).

I thought they were just going to send me home, but a few minutes later he came back and said he would try. It was quite successful. Nothing to see in my stomach but 2 polyps in my colon removed and sent for biopsy. "Don't think you're getting away with it," Says jocular surgeon, "We'll give you a short break to get your breath back and then have you back in for the colonoscopy you should have had today. Finding the polyps makes that a certainty." That means Picolax. What must be, must be.

Had my egg salad after I woke up - didn't sleep during the procedure as I have done before, but had a really sound (drugged) sleep once back in my room. BG before eating 15.7.

Anyway - I'm home - just made it in the door when the enema finally worked - 3 hours late. Current BG 10.8.

Now what am I going to have to eat later (I'm actually already hungry)? Probably bacon and egg, no already had eggs. So probably bacon and chaffle.
So glad your procedures are over and done with. Now let's just look forward to all being well with the tests and a solution to what's going on with your BGs/insulin.
Any word on DIL/Granddaughter?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your Mum's pickled cucumber sound very much like the pickled gherkins that we used to be able to get in the chippy. I only ever had one, though my friends loved them. Far too vinegary. I preferred my chips just as they were - no salt, no vinegar and definitely no gherkin.

Biscuits - now that brings back a memory of going to a grocer's shop (was it Home and Colonial, or is that a different organisation. I'm sure it was Home and something) in the late 50's where they had boxes of biscuits with clear tops in front of the counter and you could buy half a pound of them, weighed out into a paper bag. Mum always bought half a pound of broken biscuits - that was a mixture of whatever had broken in the other boxes, so you never knew what you were getting. She also used to buy half a pound of mixed butter and margarine and the grocer mixed it from the big chunks of butter and margarine on the slab, using wooden butter pats. Around that time, we also stood in a huge queue to buy one banana, which she shared between my brother and myself. Ah yes, changed days.
And the days when many millions of families were not well off but there was always food on the table. A world of different priorities. Funny, I was thinking back to those times. Grandparents lived with us and it was commonplace. We played safely outside. We had holidays but not too far away and usually staying with relatives. We went places as a family, the beach, picnics, museums. Grandfather grew masses of fruit & veg in the back garden and everything was cooked from scratch. Simpler & happier times.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh ****.
I was going to sleep after a midnight snack of some pork scratchings and nuts in bed.

I used to have tame rats, and I know what it sounds like when they're eating.
I hear this sound right now, either upstairs or high up in the wall. And I do not have tame rats anymore...

I'll open the hatch to the attic tomorrow morning and I'll hope the cats will solve the problem, preferably when I'm not at home.
:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday - confusing! Bed 7.9 FBG 7.2. No idea why since I feel absolutely fine for a change. @Chook, I did laugh at your Mum's refund on the cookery course. Growing up in a household where both Granny & Mum were excellent cooks/bakers I had a very different experience. It did put me in mind of one of our journeys back from Australia. We'd been staying with SIL & Hubby and I'd been doing the cooking while they were at work. When we were due to leave MIL had said she'd start doing cabbage & potatoes for them again. She'd do most things under pressure with too much liquid. We arrived in Singapore to a text message which read "Dinner time, no food, come back!". @DJC3 & @shelley262 - just taken delivery of an order from DGF. Too slow to get the gingerbread so I will be checking out @zauberflote's gingerbread cookie recipe too @SlimLizzy.

B. TAG and reverted to nursery food - 2 boiled eggs mashed with butter and 2 GF seeded crackers.
L. 1 Dailylea triangle
D. Lamb gigot chop with mushrooms, veggie chips and mint sauce. Last of the Grahams Goodness with raspberries.

@zauberflote - the entire country has been penalised because she won't lockdown Glasgow/Lanarkshire properly. Most of the other regions have minimal positive cases and I read this morning that Glasgow's infection rate is 10 times what the rate was in Aberdeen when she locked them down without a second thought.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@zauberflote - okay.... I gotta ask.... how do you know your cat is constipated???

@Antje77 - I hope your cats are a bit more enthusiastic than my daughter's were. She had a mouse come in one summer's day and all four cats ran and hid. My dogs did the same when a bird flew in my kitchen window.

Up very early (for me) this morning.... my neighbour opposite has bought himself a 'project' VW campervan. He works nights and gets home at 6.30am. By 6.45 he was out in his drive doing something to it that involved loads of loud 'cccrrrrzzzzz' noises and occasional muffled swearing. Naughty me... I'm getting a great deal of satisfaction because the only plus of Covid is that couriers for other people aren't allowed to leave parcels with their neighbours - so the couriers with all the parts he buys on-line are having to hammer at his front door until he finally wakes up. Four deliveries yesterday. *smirk* (Pre-covid couriers would have knocked here for me to take them all in).

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers. (using the insulin I'm finding it interesting that I am very insulin resistant in the mornings)

Dinner: one of my empty the fridge cauliflower rice salads (cauliflower rice cooked with a little ghee) with leftover veg from the fridge - radish, cucumber, tomato, salad onions, a bit of red pepper and some lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, chipotle flakes and chopped coriander and parsley stirred in with some flaked smoked mackerel.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Antje77 oh dear. Just maybe it is mice?
@Chook I will answer that one over in the pets thread or it will put everyone off their meals for a week and get me booted off

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
24.09.2020 still trying to catch up.
Fairly sure it was predictive text that altered your cats name. But hey, if it amused you that's good.
@Annb So many health issues in your family. Are any resolved yet?
@DJC3 like the look of that croquetMonsieur and with winter coming will be needing something other than salad.
@maglil55 will be googling LC ginger cookie recipies. I do miss biscuits sometimes, more so now that there are always some in the house for MrSlim.
@MrsA2 There are tines when I feel like that too. Today am driving 11k to shop, same franchise different town, (opposite direction to yesterday's shops ) to buy the half dozen essential items unavailable yesterday. Would be great to find all I need in one shop. Or even one town.
@Mauriac you are being very hard on yourself. Caring gets more stressful the longer it goes on. The issues get more complicated and you too are becoming more fragile. It's not surprising you find it difficult sometimes. Try to imagine what you would say to someone else in your position. Am sure you would be kinder to them. I know I am my own fiercest critic.

DIL has an appointment in Inverness on Tuesday to check the lump she found.

Granddaughter is "on hold" in Aberdeen. Now that she is in a safe place, the medics want to keep the pregnancy going as long as possible and are treating her with a drug (don't know what it is) to help support blood flow to the baby. They are hoping to hold on until 36 weeks before going for the C-section. I gather she is not very happy, although she knows it has to be. Her partner has gone to Aberdeen to join her but is only allowed in for one hour a day and has had to take annual leave to be there, but only has a week available before going off pay. She's very bored and is not the most patient of people. They didn't expect complications when they decided to have a baby because she had already had 2 very easy pregnancies and births. I don't think there will be any more after this experience. Looking forward to a happy outcome sometime soon.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Chook Love that shellfish meal. We rarely have prawns now for two reasons, one MrSlim should not eat too many of them and two, they are so expensive over here.
@Annb Doctors appointment is good news. Am still trying to catch up on thread so she may have already been seen by now.
@zauberflote Original plan was at least four years in France, but Covid-9 changed that. MrSlim felt obliged to go back to work. And will probably be needed in the winter too.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your concern over our girls. We're hoping for a good outcome to all the health issues and happy news soon from Aberdeen.

BG last night down to 9.9. FBG today 9.5.
By 10.40 - just water, pills and a cup of tea. BG up to 15.8. Took 40 units of Fiasp and had a few spiced nuts.

Once again, been waiting for my cleaner to come. I have some chickpeas and spinach in the fridge - made last night (a kind of tapa) which I will have shortly with one of the very unsuccessful chaffles that I made yesterday (I experimented with ricotta instead of a harder cheese and then had to mess about with it a bit to try to get some kind of batter out of it). They are more like very thin blinis, but edible. I'll go ahead and have that now (1 pm). There's quite a lot of the chickpea mixture but I shan't have much - chickpeas are a bit heavy on the carbs for my liking, but I do like them, especially with spinach. Whether my digestive system does at present, I shall find out.

Neil bought some sausages for me this morning when he went to the shops, so that will be this evening's meal with some cabbage - roasted, I think, or maybe grilled.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 - I hope your cats are a bit more enthusiastic than my daughter's were. She had a mouse come in one summer's day and all four cats ran and hid.
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Now those are useless cats!
Mine have a history of catching rats so I have good hopes. Catching a rat isn't without danger for a cat though, so fingers crossed they won't be bitten and add to the vet bill.
@Antje77 oh dear. Just maybe it is mice?
Definitely not mice, the chewing was way too loud :(

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Disappointment at turning up at the butchers to buy lamb chops for lunch only to find he’s on holiday for a week has been more than compensated for by the most delicious crispy pieces of pork belly strips. Spotted some particularly fatty ones in Asda and wow, then turned out perfect - juicy and crispy in equal measure. Just added a bit of salt and chilli oil.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Chook Love that shellfish meal. We rarely have prawns now for two reasons, one MrSlim should not eat too many of them and two, they are so expensive over here.
@Annb Doctors appointment is good news. Am still trying to catch up on thread so she may have already been seen by now.
@zauberflote Original plan was at least four years in France, but Covid-9 changed that. MrSlim felt obliged to go back to work. And will probably be needed in the winter too.

Will you be coming (or should it be going) back with him if he is needed over here this winter?

I've been trying to remember where I heard of a cat being called Cat before - finally remembered - it was Holly Golightly's cat in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Reactions: maglil55