Worst Foods for People With Diabetes

If you have diabetes, watching what you eat is one of the most important things you can do to stay healthy. "The basic goal of nutrition for people with diabetes is to avoid blood sugar spikes," says Gerald Bernstein, M.D., director of the diabetes management program at Friedman Diabetes Institute, Beth Israel Medical Center in New York. Candy and soda can be dangerous for diabetics because the body absorbs these simple sugars almost instantly. But all types of carbs need to be watched, and foods high in fat—particularly unhealthy fats—are problematic as well because people with diabetes are at very high risk of heart disease, says Sandy Andrews, RD, director of education for the William Sansum Diabetes Center in Santa Barbara, Calif.

• White rice
  • Blended coffees
  • Chinese food
  • Breakfast pastries
  • Fruit smoothies
  • Trail mix
  • Refined cereal
  • Fruit juice
  • Energy bars
  • Pasta Alfredo
  • French fries
  • Fatty meats

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Is there a point to these copy n paste statements you are making?

I agree with some of the above, but the info to avoid fatty meats is rubbish and so is the idea that brown versions of rice are somehow different to white. Your pancreas can't tell the difference.

This is rather outdated and somewhat misleading to poor advice.

Reactions: Evie-D

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there a point to these copy n paste statements you are making?

I agree with some of the above, but the info to avoid fatty meats is rubbish and so is the idea that brown versions of rice are somehow different to white. Your pancreas can't tell the difference.

This is rather outdated and somewhat misleading to poor advice.

I suspect because the poster does not subsequently engage and if I recall is posting mainly US-centric stuff, I would edge towards bot/low-level troller? I am not sure there is a genuine T2 Diabetes diagnosed person behind this account.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I suspect because the poster does not subsequently engage and if I recall is posting mainly US-centric stuff, I would edge towards bot/low-level troller? I am not sure there is a genuine T2 Diabetes diagnosed person behind this account.

I don't expect a reply either based on this and the previous post.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I especially like the bit about ‘blended coffees’, so presumably single-estate cat-poo coffee lovingly hand-polished and roasted in a wood-fired earthen kiln when the moon was full, would be ok?

Do you think this applies to whisky too? I do hope so... any excuse for another bottle of Ardbeg :cat:

Reactions: annie-p
M

Member496333

I especially like the bit about ‘blended coffees’, so presumably single-estate cat-poo coffee lovingly hand-polished and roasted in a wood-fired earthen kiln when the moon was full, would be ok?

Do you think this applies to whisky too? I do hope so... any excuse for another bottle of Ardbeg :cat:

To be fair I think perhaps blended coffee refers to that which is laced with all manner of sugars, syrups and posh sounding, exotic extras. I may of course be wrong. It's happened before :shifty:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have diabetes, watching what you eat is one of the most important things you can do to stay healthy. "The basic goal of nutrition for people with diabetes is to avoid blood sugar spikes," says Gerald Bernstein, M.D., director of the diabetes management program at Friedman Diabetes Institute, Beth Israel Medical Center in New York. Candy and soda can be dangerous for diabetics because the body absorbs these simple sugars almost instantly. But all types of carbs need to be watched, and foods high in fat—particularly unhealthy fats—are problematic as well because people with diabetes are at very high risk of heart disease, says Sandy Andrews, RD, director of education for the William Sansum Diabetes Center in Santa Barbara, Calif.

• White rice
  • Blended coffees
  • Chinese food
  • Breakfast pastries
  • Fruit smoothies
  • Trail mix
  • Refined cereal
  • Fruit juice
  • Energy bars
  • Pasta Alfredo
  • French fries
  • Fatty meats

We could slim that down to
  • rice
  • pastries
  • fruit (especially juice or smoothies)
  • cereal
  • pasta
  • potatoes
Better?

Reactions: Evie-D

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be fair I think perhaps blended coffee refers to that which is laced with all manner of sugars, syrups and posh sounding, exotic extras. I may of course be wrong. It's happened before :shifty:
Hah you could be right, but I’m gonna extrapolate to whisky anyway!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it is
Any 'real' sugar
any starch

Mind you - the sugar alcohols might not affect my blood glucose but oh boy do my gut flora and fauna have a party on it. I had some chewy bars with various polyols in them and I thought I was going to become Geography. Never again.