Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, nothing to do with yesterday as it would be too quick, but just rang my absence line at work as I have had a pretty uncomfortable sleepless night with what I can only call an awful metallic taste in my mouth.

Of course popped onto Google and both Coronavirus and Diabetes came up so will probably ring 111 and see what they say. Great,,,, not!!!
Sleeplessness, stress and angst plus hanging on the 111 line whilst Dr Google confirms your worst fears are going to shoot sugars up. Have a nice cup of tea, switch off the news channels and retire to the sofa with the hope of drifting off in the midst of Pointless....

Reactions: Picci and HSSS

Max68

Sleeplessness, stress and angst plus hanging on the 111 line whilst Dr Google confirms your worst fears are going to shoot sugars up. Have a nice cup of tea, switch off the news channels and retire to the sofa with the hope of drifting off in the midst of Pointless....

Will coffee and a fag do?! In all seriousness I think it shows how confusing all of this is. Ordinarily I wouldn't bat an eyelid and put it down to that rather bitter apple I had last night because for some reason I couldn't be bothered to eat anything else. Loss of appetite anyone>! I'll annoy work but I'd probably annoy work even more if it did turn out to be the dreaded Covid and by going in whilst wondering I'd be no better than the folks that don't wear masks and handle every apple in the supermarket!!

Reactions: Picci and JRT

Max68

Well 111 rang. To start with she didn't seem concerned but then changed tack and said as I was diabetic then in her opinion I should book a test. So managed to book a test locally at 11.30 today.

Reactions: Picci and JRT

Max68

Well had the test done. Oh what joy with masked foreign gentlemen with difficult accents barking instructions to a deaf person through a closed car window!! Must have misheard because when I dropped my trousers I got a funny look!! Kidding obviously! Hope I waggled the stick long enough as don't fancy that again but in all fairness it wasn't too bad.

The taste has dissipated to a large extent and no other symptoms, in fact I feel pretty good, so hopefully it's nothing. Work irritated me a bit saying I needed to get a test quickly because they are short of staff. Not surprised in a pandemic and if that's their attitude I'm glad I'm leaving. Eight days left and if it comes back negative I'm not taking any more chances.

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After my doctor writing a letter to my school requesting I be allowed to wear a mask I found out today the local authority have declined this request. This on the day we have found out a member of staff has tested positive for Covid. So stressed and anxious. I have put a request in to have an appointment with occupational health. Perhaps they can help. I just can’t understand why primary schools are the only indoor places where masks are actively discouraged.

Reactions: Gibson01 and Picci

Tannith

BANNED
Well had the test done. Oh what joy with masked foreign gentlemen with difficult accents barking instructions to a deaf person through a closed car window!! Must have misheard because when I dropped my trousers I got a funny look!! Kidding obviously! Hope I waggled the stick long enough as don't fancy that again but in all fairness it wasn't too bad.

The taste has dissipated to a large extent and no other symptoms, in fact I feel pretty good, so hopefully it's nothing. Work irritated me a bit saying I needed to get a test quickly because they are short of staff. Not surprised in a pandemic and if that's their attitude I'm glad I'm leaving. Eight days left and if it comes back negative I'm not taking any more chances.
NHS Covid-19 app: Why are some teachers being told not to use it?
"I have received a message from a teacher in north-west England who wants to remain anonymous.

Triggered alerts

This person downloaded the app on the day it was released and then, last Monday, tested positive for coronavirus.

As the test had been booked through the app, it then triggered alerts telling three colleagues at the school to go into isolation.

But then, according to the teacher, the secondary school's business manager told the three people involved to ignore the messages and delete the app if they felt they had not been within 2m (6ft) for at least 15 minutes."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54465356

SMIAH

First education is essential but in a first world could we have done some education via remotely. Could we have not hold on to opening schools for at least this winter so we can get everything else in shape to manage it more effectively. My personal opinion is yes we can but it’s all to do with those making decisions have had the virus and survived so they’re not bothered anymore with those who haven’t had it yet. A very selfish attitude. I worked in school until start of lockdown in March and then realised after Bojo came back alive that he talks about pressing the brake but What he means is the accelerator pedal, so I took the decision and quite to buckle in for the second wave in winter which is upon us now. Oh boy I’m glad I made that choice because I have been sleeping stress free since July. Here is the issue, Herd Immunity plan was never off the table, they were pressured into it but school opening in September was a blessing in disguise for Bojo and his Cummings. School is the only work place where you are not allowed face masks. It’s discouraged actively. Covid app is now discouraged. 30 children in a room mixing 6 hours a day 5 days a week is pretty much 30 households mixing then 100 in a bubble are mixing during break and lunch time and after school on the way home. All school staff know that. Plus we al know children exhale forcefully when talking!! A school is the worst place for anyone vulnerable to Covid. So school is the true driver for this second wave but media and scientific advisors are hush hush about it, just talking about no risks to children but never mention that they are a potential carrier to and out of schools to homes. Schools is the engine of herd immunity driver.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
NHS Covid-19 app: Why are some teachers being told not to use it?
"I have received a message from a teacher in north-west England who wants to remain anonymous.

Triggered alerts

This person downloaded the app on the day it was released and then, last Monday, tested positive for coronavirus.

As the test had been booked through the app, it then triggered alerts telling three colleagues at the school to go into isolation.

But then, according to the teacher, the secondary school's business manager told the three people involved to ignore the messages and delete the app if they felt they had not been within 2m (6ft) for at least 15 minutes."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54465356

Fascinating, there's probably still that whole "thang" about students disrupting class with devices. The classic "phone confiscation ?" Get it back at the end of the day.

Maybe a vigilant teacher with a wary eye on the situation breaches the whole dognatic institutionalised blanket pre COVID aproach & an unwillingness to move in these unprecedented times. Sorta "lead by example, not joining the smokers round the bike sheds..?"

Same in other professions written in the same report in the link. (Quoted below.)

"Earlier this week, both the pharmaceuticals company GlaxoSmithKline and a Hull-based fuel supplier told staff the app should be switched off at work - both said it was unnecessary in their "Covid-secure" workplaces."

I've worked in environments banning phones. (So no "heart breaker" on that score.)
But I'm not a "phone fiddler." However, i do use it as a CGM set up on silent rattle alert & an at a glance at my BG status. Which is happily overlooked as "reasonable adjustments in the work place" when I explain the tech. One manager even said, "say no more. My daughter is diabetic.."

So, why is this "NHS covid app" not comming under the same view in the eyes of the employers reported?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
A school is the worst place for anyone vulnerable to Covid.

I have two friends who are teachers, one in Glasgow and one in Tunbridge Wells, I'm also aware of what's going on in the school that my neighbour's children go to.

It's difficult to explain why the school of my friend just outside Glasgow (Junior) has had to send 2 classes home because of Covid, yet the school of my friend in Tunbridge (Junior) seems to be very lucky. My neighbour's children go to a senior school which is much bigger than the two junior schools and also has no Covid, so far. I wonder if this is because of the overall infection rates in different parts of the country.

Reactions: Petershilly

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say, whilst community infection rates do have some effect, there is nowhere in England with no infection. I live in an area with moderate infection rates and yesterday heard of 4 people who had tested positive. One of the people, as I have said, was in the primary school where I work. We should not feel complacent that ‘it won’t happen to us’. We all need to take care and look after ourselves. What worries me is in schools, the precautions we take everywhere else are forbidden.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
My family are all in various stages of covid illness and recovery. My daughter and niece (who livves with us atm) have returned to school this morning. They were last at school on 11 September. They are teeangers and have taken a long time to get well again.
My son was largely asymptomatic and didn't get ill, he is 12. He's full of energy and it's lovely to hear him running up the stairs.
Both of the schools have had to close down year 13. There have been cases in year 7 and 10 and amongst staff which have lead to contacts having to self isolate. My sister's school bubble is shut down at the moment too.

I have only heard of cases in secondary schools and sixth forms, nothing in primary schools in my area.

Our experience of Covid symptoms was varied. My son had a fleeting low grade fever one evening and that was it. Three of us coughed a lot from day 1. Three of us had nausea, sore throat, headache from day 1. Three of us had loss or change of taste in the 2nd week. One of us had fever on and off for weeks. We all had fatigue, sore throat and headache. At least 2 of us had stomach and bowel discomfort and IBS symptoms. None of us had trouble breathing thank goodness. We all had fever at some points. Two of us have had weeks in bed and barely moved. We are all now showing signs of recovery.

Keep safe x

Max68

First education is essential but in a first world could we have done some education via remotely. Could we have not hold on to opening schools for at least this winter so we can get everything else in shape to manage it more effectively. My personal opinion is yes we can but it’s all to do with those making decisions have had the virus and survived so they’re not bothered anymore with those who haven’t had it yet. A very selfish attitude. I worked in school until start of lockdown in March and then realised after Bojo came back alive that he talks about pressing the brake but What he means is the accelerator pedal, so I took the decision and quite to buckle in for the second wave in winter which is upon us now. Oh boy I’m glad I made that choice because I have been sleeping stress free since July. Here is the issue, Herd Immunity plan was never off the table, they were pressured into it but school opening in September was a blessing in disguise for Bojo and his Cummings. School is the only work place where you are not allowed face masks. It’s discouraged actively. Covid app is now discouraged. 30 children in a room mixing 6 hours a day 5 days a week is pretty much 30 households mixing then 100 in a bubble are mixing during break and lunch time and after school on the way home. All school staff know that. Plus we al know children exhale forcefully when talking!! A school is the worst place for anyone vulnerable to Covid. So school is the true driver for this second wave but media and scientific advisors are hush hush about it, just talking about no risks to children but never mention that they are a potential carrier to and out of schools to homes. Schools is the engine of herd immunity driver.

The thing is the Government bringing schools back is "absolutely nothing" about education, it is so parents can go back to work pure and simple. If it was about education then the government would have concentrated more on education "prior" to the pandemic but schools have been the subject of cuts, selling off playing fields to developers etc for ages. Same as the governments heralding of various key workers like the NHS. Absolute poppycock considering key worker vocations such as the NHS have been hammered financially by the government for years. Quite ironic really how suddenly they are relying heavily on those who they forget about.

Max68

After my doctor writing a letter to my school requesting I be allowed to wear a mask I found out today the local authority have declined this request. This on the day we have found out a member of staff has tested positive for Covid. So stressed and anxious. I have put a request in to have an appointment with occupational health. Perhaps they can help. I just can’t understand why primary schools are the only indoor places where masks are actively discouraged.

You need to contact your Union, if you have one, asap and get their advice on this. You also require an Individual Risk Assessment which your Union will also be able to help with. If I were you I would also just wear a face covering yourself if you want to as you are safeguarding yourself.

Whilst schools are set at a lower bar they still have to do an Individual Risk Assessment on whoever asks for one and then lay out the correct protocols for that individual or further down the road there could be tribunals from people who have left work voluntarily or walked out of the door.

My decision to leave my school was nothing down to protective guidelines, but the fact that I didn't feel those guidelines went far enough for me. The school to be fair have done most things that they need to considering the guidelines, such as allowing me to wear face coverings. However if you are being declined something by your school or local authority which an Individual Risk Assessment suggests you require they could be breaking the rules.

You really need to contact your Union asap.

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Max68 for your advice. I have emailed my union again this morning and am awaiting their contact.
I have followed your plight through your emails and while your situation is slightly different to my own, I can see a lot of similarities.
I am still baffled why the government and my LA are so against the wearing of face masks in primary schools particularly if the wearer is a vulnerable person and wearing an FFP2 face mask which does offer the wearer protection. The argument that this will somehow upset others does not resonate with me as children now see face masks in many everyday situations. I do understand some with learning disabilities might not understand but the children I work with may ask why I am wearing it. As I’m not ashamed to tell them I am diabetic and need to-as I did with my visor-and those that did ask accepted that.
My stress and anxiety levels are sky high and I feel like I’m banging my head against a wall because of the lack of any logic in the authorities argument.
I fear, eventually, my only option will be to resign as in your case. A grossly unfair situation to find yourself in when all you are asking for is the same protection as every other indoor environment.

Reactions: Picci

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I just can’t understand why primary schools are the only indoor places where masks are actively discouraged.

It must depend on the school because we have a local school supplying 2 masks and a face shield to every teacher and then leaving it up to them to work out the practicality. Obviously, actual teaching is not practical and 2mdistance should be maintained. Other times this particular school considers it practical for teachers to take precautions.

Max68

Thank you Max68 for your advice. I have emailed my union again this morning and am awaiting their contact.
I have followed your plight through your emails and while your situation is slightly different to my own, I can see a lot of similarities.
I am still baffled why the government and my LA are so against the wearing of face masks in primary schools particularly if the wearer is a vulnerable person and wearing an FFP2 face mask which does offer the wearer protection. The argument that this will somehow upset others does not resonate with me as children now see face masks in many everyday situations. I do understand some with learning disabilities might not understand but the children I work with may ask why I am wearing it. As I’m not ashamed to tell them I am diabetic and need to-as I did with my visor-and those that did ask accepted that.
My stress and anxiety levels are sky high and I feel like I’m banging my head against a wall because of the lack of any logic in the authorities argument.
I fear, eventually, my only option will be to resign as in your case. A grossly unfair situation to find yourself in when all you are asking for is the same protection as every other indoor environment.

I would call your Union rather than email as they can be delayed in getting back to you. I would call and be proactive and insist that they help as after all I suspect you pay a premium to be a member.

I don't want to overload you with information as it's down to your Union to do that but two pieces of guidance I have found for you.

From the Joint Union Coronavirus Checklist for Schools.

"Legal obligations on risk assessment for individuals The DfE guidance documents emphasise that employers must comply with health and safety law, which requires them to undertake risk assessments and put in place proportionate control measures and keep them under review. This includes assessing the individual circumstances for each employee before requiring them to attend the workplace. These circumstances include the individual’s own health conditions, alongside any other circumstances which place them at higher risk for other reasons. The degree to which individuals are at risk is affected by their underlying health and also very significantly by age, ethnicity, sex, and other circumstances described in this guidance."

Advice from a Union, not mine, but possibly yours. I have replaced the Union name with just "union" in case it goes against what I can place on here with regard to individual companies etc.

"The “Union” believes that, while the DfE advice remains in place, any students or members of staff who choose to wear a face covering for purposes of personal or collective reassurance should be permitted to do so. The “Union” expects schools and colleges to respect this reasonable position. This reflects the Health and Safety Executive’s advice that if staff choose to wear face coverings, this should be supported by employers. Should any head teacher seek to prevent the wearing of face coverings, the “Union” will support members who wish to secure a reversal of that position."

You have rights in this situation. My resignation is slightly different as to be fair my school did everything within the guidelines to keep me safe with regard to those guidelines. It was my decision that those guidelines don't go far enough, but that's not a criticism of the school, merely the guidelines themselves. For instance if you worked in a shop the Government would now be telling you that you have to wear a mask, whether you want to or not, but schools are different. Why you may ask? It doesn't make sense does it? No it doesn't BUT as I have said before, and these aren't my words but my Unions, the bar for a level of safety in schools is set lower than other businesses purely and simply because if they were set higher schools wouldn't be able to open.

It's something to discuss with your Union but IMO you could wear a mask if you choose. It's for your own safety, "and" others safety. If you got disciplined for that I suspect you could go to Tribunal. Again IMO what Tribunal is going to decide against an employee who has made a decision safety wise for themselves and others when the employer themselves has placed them and others at risk with their policy?!

Obviously no guarantees but you do need to speak to your Union as soon as possible.

Max68

I do understand some with learning disabilities might not understand but the children I work with may ask why I am wearing it. As I’m not ashamed to tell them I am diabetic and need to-as I did with my visor-and those that did ask accepted that.

I find children, especially those with disabilities are remarkably accepting of anyone who is "different". I have a lad at school who keeps telling me we don't live in Chernobyl due to my mask and visor combination! I told him I am diabetic so am vulnerable and he totally understood but he will still shout out why I am wearing a gas mask, which is great because humour takes away so much negativity.

I also find that my hearing difficulties help to talk to students who are struggling. If they see me with a hearing aid I am different, and far from perfect and I find that some kids talk to you easier because you are not the 30 year old , prime condition headmaster!!

I'm still living off the fact that one of the students thought I was in my forties the other day!! His mum emailed me to thank me for talking to him as it had helped. He wasn't sure of my name but told his mum I was a very old teacher with a hearing aid!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Tannith

BANNED
So the Govt is going to tell those who are shielding to stay at home more, and to shop at quieter times. Thanks Boris, I never thought of that!