High insulin requirements?

Serial45

Hi guys,

So I seem to have quite high insulin requirements for some reason.

I take around 38 units of levirmir per day. It's the fast acting I seem to need a lot of.
I've worked out that I roughly need 1 unit per 3 grams of carbs, but in the mornings I need more.

So this morning I needed 18 units of insulin for a 25g piece of sourdough bread. Here's my graph. I had this one hour after awaking. Had a cup of tea with it.

I read these stories aboutsome people only needing 1 unit per 10grams of carbs!

I'm just about to start using an omnipod pump and already feel like it won't hold enough insulin for 200 units over 3 days.

I changed insulin to fiasp about a year ago as novorapid was even worse.

Any help or assistance in how I can reduce this would be great.

I've given myself another 17 units of insulin about 12pm to bring my levels back in range and eaten 15g of carbs about 15 mins ago.

I'm not fat either I'm 75kg.
Thanks,
Adam
Screenshot_20201013-135912_xDrip%2B.jpg

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Patients who require >1 unit/kg/day are considered to have insulin resistance. Would this be you?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read these stories aboutsome people only needing 1 unit per 10grams of carbs!
Do note that whilst some may be on that, many are not, everyone is different, on a carb counting course I went on one person only needed 1 unit per 50 g carbs, I think I stared with my mouth wide open and blinked at that point, whereas one person needed 1unit per 2 g carbs, most in the group were between 1unit to 5carbs and 1 unit to 15 carbs.

I know since starting on a pump my carb ratio has changed slightly, but not by much, I went from 1unit for 5 carbs to 1unit for 6 carbs in the morning, and about the same change for the other times of the day as well.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've worked out that I roughly need 1 unit per 3 grams of carbs, b
I need 1 unit for 3g, more in the morning, though I think my insulin resistance may have gone down slightly recently. But I have a bmi of 29 so I could definitely do with losing some weight. I manage my weight and my insulin by low carbing, less than 100g per day....

No reason why a T1 can't have insulin resistance like a T2 unfortunately, it's just that your body is incapable of producing excess insulin to give you the typical T2's overproduction of insulin. Do you have any T2 members in your family?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... I've given myself another 17 units of insulin about 12pm to bring my levels back in range ...
Sounds like there may not be enough basal insulin action. Have you done basal testing overnight and in the morning? If there is a basal action shortfall, it looks like really large amounts of bolus insulin are required to cover meals at that time of the day.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I'm normally about 1 for 9 to 1 for 10 but I'm heavily active normally about 12000 steps a day plus heavy lifting

Weeks like this week when I'm off work I struggle more to in range

How accurate is the step count in that picture.. for me that would count as a slow day.. have you tried a brisk walk a little while after food just to see if that help?