I've just found out I have diabetes at 23.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders, being a picky eater, anything green on my plate, except carrots.
Hi, I'm Georgina, I'm 23 years old and just found out that I have diabetes on the 2nd of October. Its took a while to have the courage to post on here since my doctor said this forum could help in the long run. I have yet to be diagnosed which type I have but it's looking like type 2, I don't blame them for the long wait, I understand why.

I just feel like the whole world has come crashing down on me, I've barely even started my life and to have this this condition to manage is just too overwhelming. I went into the GP for something not even related to diabetes and found out like that. I mean, why now? Why didn't I get it when I was a kid or teenager? The only support I have has just been from my family, which I am thankful for but I feel like I need more support from friends, if I had any.

Its been very tiring these past few weeks with hospital appointments and blood tests, injecting myself with Humalog and Levemir every day, stabbing my finger for glucose levels, I just can't even... I have so many questions and worries that I can't even think of currently. I guess I should just ask for now, where do I go from here?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Getting type 1 at 23 is not unusual. Nor is getting type 2 at this age. My diabetes nurse's youngest T2 patient is 9 years old (in NZ). Having a definite diagnosis of the type will be useful, so insist that the antibody tests get done. Results should be available in a few days. At this stage you need to rely on your medical team for a diagnosis and treatment guidance. When you know what you are dealing with, you will be able to ask and get input on specific questions.

Last edited:

Mykidssma

I was 47 years old when I was diagnosed I have type LADA (1.5) There r alot of sites in fb that u should join as well they can help for u not to feel so alone, and help answer ?s also itll help to no ur not alone remember what ever type u r isn't the same as everyone else just cause something helps/works for one person doesn't mean it'll work for u that I think was one of the hardest things I found cause I thought if ur the same type as me then what worked for u would work for me but that wasn't the case I listen to what ppl say and try things that worked for them and sometimes it would work (help) me and other times it wouldn't. Just remember that it's a very hard long road its something we have for the rest of our lives ull have good days and bad days but don't give up u will get through it

Reactions: DolpgirlAKAGina

Sophaxe17

Hi Georgina, I know exactly how you feel. I'm 24 years old and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last November. It feels like a kick in the teeth doesn't it, I'm taking medication everyday and they're telling me I'm never gonna lose weight and I'll be on medication for life.
I hope things start to get better for you. I've also recently been diagnosed with PCOS aswell and that is part of the reason why I have diabetes.
You can reverse it, and that's what I'm trying to do, its just so difficult because there is sugar in everything haha

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you do get tests for T1 ensure they do C-Peptide as well as GAD antibodies as viruses can cause T1. If you have excess weight then T2 is more likely than T1. Either way keeping the carbs down always helps. If you are a T2 with excess weight you may be able to come off insulin if you follow a low-carb diet which would result in weight and insulin resistance loss. Make sure you test often whilst on the insulin and changing diet

Reactions: DolpgirlAKAGina

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Georgina, and other newbies,
Firstly, there is all the support you should ever need right here.
Secondly, if you are Type2 then it isn't true that you will need to be on medication for life! Thousands of Type2's are controlling their Blood Glucose by using lifestyle alone - no medication required!

I got my Type2 under control by using a Low Carb High(er) traditional Fat way of eating (no calorie counting - so not a 'diet' as such). This was done without having to starve myself, my weight loss (BMI 26 to BMI 22 - so I am/was thin outside Fat Inside TOFI) came about purely form eating LCHF not meds, no additional exercise and no conscious cutting of calories. Just getting a BG meter and testing my meals to keep the BG spike (at 2hrs after first bite) to 2.0 mmol or less.

Hi Georgina,

I know exactly how you feel, I was diagnosed in July at 24. Felt like the whole world came crushing down on me and my life was over. I still haven’t had the courage to tell everyone in my life. Kind of feels like I’ve done it to myself.

This forum is great! So much advice and support and kindness. Take it one step at a time! I feel hopeful now, like I have the option to get my life under control. It’s kind of the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me because I have completely changed my eating and lost 18kg so far.

Keep going, keep your head up and use the forum. You are strong enough to deal with it.

Reactions: Je21

MarkHaZ123

You'll definitely need to know what type you are asap. I was been treated for type 2 but the doctor told me he believed I was type 1 but it was a waiting game. About 12 months later I just couldn't keep my bloods down below 15 so knew it had to be type 1. I went on insulin and within 2 months I'd brought my levels down to what they need to be and in the last 5 months I have reduced my HBA1C by 20 so I'm happy with that considering I don't stick to a strict diet.

You will learn what works and what doesnt. Not one person will say its easy and the effects it has on general day to day life is crazy but you will learn what works for you
I was 34 when I was diagnosed but only 35 when diagnosed type 1. Now a year later I still struggle with things especially with when I drink which is very rare

Any questions you have just ask them in the right sections on here and make sure people know the backround you have mentioned on here and they will always help, Iv learnt so much even just by reading others threads

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Georgina,

I know exactly how you feel, I was diagnosed in July at 24. Felt like the whole world came crushing down on me and my life was over. I still haven’t had the courage to tell everyone in my life. Kind of feels like I’ve done it to myself.

This forum is great! So much advice and support and kindness. Take it one step at a time! I feel hopeful now, like I have the option to get my life under control. It’s kind of the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me because I have completely changed my eating and lost 18kg so far.

Keep going, keep your head up and use the forum. You are strong enough to deal with it.
Congrats on the weight loss

Reactions: Hopefulremissioner