Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have every sympathy with people who feel isolated as shielders who may not want to go through that again. However, there are lots of people who where able to shield or self isolate at home in the first wave who are now expected to be at work in non-covid safe environments with little or no protection. From experience I can say that this also causes great anxiety, to the point of resigning their jobs, and this seems to have been totally forgotten.
I would love for these policy makers (hopefully a clinically vulnerable one) to swap jobs with me for a week then decide the right course of action.

Reactions: HSSS, Picci and JRT

JRT

I have every sympathy with people who feel isolated as shielders who may not want to go through that again. However, there are lots of people who where able to shield or self isolate at home in the first wave who are now expected to be at work in non-covid safe environments with little or no protection. From experience I can say that this also causes great anxiety, to the point of resigning their jobs, and this seems to have been totally forgotten.
I would love for these policy makers (hopefully a clinically vulnerable one) to swap jobs with me for a week then decide the right course of action.
As I scrolled down the article I was hoping to see a supportive comment from Diabetes UK. The government wont change anything until absolutely forced to ,and by then it will be to late. The only way things will improve is if the charities representing shielding/ high risk people have a hard hitting campaign highlighting issues,preferably with high profile celebrities. Even then with so many groups in society suffering I wouldnt assume massive public support . It may be the only way we benefit is from general social campaigns such as increasing benefits or a Universal Income. I have a feeling things will have to get a lot worse before that happens.
The best case scenario is that most people seem to want the schools to remain open. The interest shown by the public alongside teaching unions etc may force the government to spend money and time making schools safer. Again that doesnt help those putting themselves at risk now.

Max68

Totally and utterly agree. As you know that was my problem, along with a lot of others on here, and in the end I felt resigning was my only option. You feel totally isolated in your dilemma, and because we have never had a major pandemic before in our lifetimes Unions, Employers, GP's to be fair haven't got a clue what to do so just go by the guidance from the error strewn government,. Common sense seems to go out of the window and you end up left to your own devices. Must confess if it wasn't for the fabulous support of the wonderful people on here I might have gone mad!

What has been telling for me is no-one I know has been against my final decision. All friends totally agree with why I have done it. Colleagues totally understood it. The only one who was upset about it was my sister, but that was more to do with the fact that she believes that I do a great job in schools and thought it was such a shame I had to do what I did., However, with this continuing first wave, second wave, whatever you want to call it, she told me yesterday for the first time that she thinks I did the right thing!

As Jbicheno says I have an immense amount of sympathy who feel isolated as shielders. However once again we don't have the data on who these people are. Are they people who are retired, or work in vocations that are little risk? There will be plenty still in education, care and other key workers jobs who would almost certainly welcome it.

Tannith

BANNED
So diabetes and anyone who has flu jab is on there. The advice is "should be especially careful to follow the rules and minimise your contacts with others" However if you work in an education or care setting you will be fine as long as you wash your hands! Would be funny if it wasn't so ridiculous.
Advice is all very well. It's support that people need. Like compensation for not being able to go to work. And possibly re instating the food boxes for people who can't get supermarket deliveries. Minimising contact with others is what everyone, vulnerable or not, should be doing during lockdown anyway.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And possibly re instating the food boxes for people who can't get supermarket deliveries
Another option if you are vulnerable and live within 10 miles of a Morrisons supermarket is to telephone for a free Morrisons next day Doorstep delivery. Can't be ordered online. May arrive between 10 and 6. No minimum spend. Some of the publicity suggests that you have to order from a limited Morrisons list, but I have used it twice so far and have found I can order anything I like. Don't forget to specify if you don't want any substitutes. You will not be cross-examined as to exactly how strictly you are self-isolating.
https://my.morrisons.com/doorstep-deliveries/

Max68

Well interesting visit to the GP. Metatarsalgia is the foot pain diagnosis and referral to the physio and musculoskeletal clinic sometime probably in 2025!! The irony being it was probably caused by all the walking I did between March and September. How's that for the result of exercise! Body weight at 79kg thus giving me a BMI of 28.12 so lowest it's been since June 17. A drop of 4kg since July and probably all that walking and walking about when I was back at work so it's not dropping off at an alarming rate so he didn't seem over concerned. You know your mind is in a tizz when you worry about "losing" weight!

He then clarified that I had quit work and understood and incredibly offered me a fit note for the DWP if required. Amazingly he placed on it "risk factors for covid complications, diabetes, high BMI, health anxiety". Huh?! you couldn't get one of these from a GP a month ago mentioning anything about Covid!! Bizarrely however he ticked the "you may be fit for work taking into account the following advice - amended duties." So probably rendering the fit note fairly useless in many ways! Strange times indeed!

Reactions: Jbicheno and JRT
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Last night, watching the news, my local hospital's ICU department was shown. They are looking after a lot of covid patients already and I sat there taking it in and thought, what if...........what if I got covid, what if another person got covid, who is younger than me and they had limited ICU beds, would it be down to who gets the bed ? ie A 40 year old or a 62 year old? It has got me thinking very seriously about carrying on working or not. I'm not normally an anxious person or a worrier, I just get on with things, so lots to think about, but I don't know what to do ?
Also, a couple of of the children wont be in tomorrow, possibly Thursday too, as two of their teachers are off with one of them being tested for Covid, no result yet.

I was listening to the Taxi driver's BBC world service news this afternoon and the head of Belgium's ICU department was talking about covid, sounded so defeated, so drained, he said doctor's and nurses are working 7 days a week and are exhausted, but the adrenaline keeps them going and focused. Some of their children stay at the hospital, so when staff can go home for rest, they can get complete rest. A spokesperson from Liverpool's hospital said they have so many covid patients, no routine operations, all the op rooms are empty as they need the doctor's and nurses in ICU, covid is just exhausting so many things, somethings gotta give :(

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Another option if you are vulnerable and live within 10 miles of a Morrisons supermarket is to telephone for a free Morrisons next day Doorstep delivery. Can't be ordered online. May arrive between 10 and 6. No minimum spend. Some of the publicity suggests that you have to order from a limited Morrisons list, but I have used it twice so far and have found I can order anything I like. Don't forget to specify if you don't want any substitutes. You will not be cross-examined as to exactly how strictly you are self-isolating.
https://my.morrisons.com/doorstep-deliveries/

I live 2 minutes away from a Morrisons. Thanks for the info :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It has got me thinking very seriously about carrying on working or not. I'm not normally an anxious person or a worrier, I just get on with things, so lots to think about, but I don't know what to do ?
Your worries are IMO entirely legitimate. Don't just take it from me. I watch Dr Bernstein's videos every month. Not everyone here agrees with his VLC approach to managing diabetes, but I doubt if many could disagree that at 85 he is enormously experienced in both living with diabetes and treating numberless T1 and T2 diabetes patients. He advises very strongly that diabetics shelter and keep away from risk and hospitals. That is what he is doing. Please look after yourself!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well interesting visit to the GP. Metatarsalgia is the foot pain diagnosis and referral to the physio and musculoskeletal clinic sometime probably in 2025!!

I had an x ray last Friday, it's my heel area, back of heel, underneath my heel and my ankle has stiffened up, it's just the right foot. Should be getting a phone call today from GP, only an hour left now.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night, watching the news, my local hospital's ICU department was shown. They are looking after a lot of covid patients already and I sat there taking it in and thought, what if...........what if I got covid, what if another person got covid, who is younger than me and they had limited ICU beds, would it be down to who gets the bed ? ie A 40 year old or a 62 year old? It has got me thinking very seriously about carrying on working or not. I'm not normally an anxious person or a worrier, I just get on with things, so lots to think about, but I don't know what to do ?
Also, a couple of of the children wont be in tomorrow, possibly Thursday too, as two of their teachers are off with one of them being tested for Covid, no result yet.

I was listening to the Taxi driver's BBC world service news this afternoon and the head of Belgium's ICU department was talking about covid, sounded so defeated, so drained, he said doctor's and nurses are working 7 days a week and are exhausted, but the adrenaline keeps them going and focused. Some of their children stay at the hospital, so when staff can go home for rest, they can get complete rest. A spokesperson from Liverpool's hospital said they have so many covid patients, no routine operations, all the op rooms are empty as they need the doctor's and nurses in ICU, covid is just exhausting so many things, somethings gotta give :(
Yes, it's scary that someone of our age can be written off because of lack of ICU beds. I know you love your job, but ....please stay safe RRB

Reactions: Max68

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live 2 minutes away from a Morrisons. Thanks for the info :)
I do think Morrisons has behaved very well during the pandemic. In my store they keep improving their safety arrangements. I forgot to mention that when my Doorstep Deliveries arrived, the stuff was packed in stout paper carrier bags, for which I was not charged! Also, the woman on the telephone told me that with their "no minimum spend" policy, if someone wanted just a loaf of bread and a pint of milk, that was fine!!!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had an x ray last Friday, it's my heel area, back of heel, underneath my heel and my ankle has stiffened up, it's just the right foot. Should be getting a phone call today from GP, only an hour left now.
No fun, but maybe treasure this up as yet another health argument for staying at home!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have just been informed that the two children who are not in today, will not be in tomorrow either.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have just been informed that the two children who are not in today, will not be in tomorrow either.

I still don't know whether the teacher has tested positive or negative for covid, hoping to find out tomorrow.