Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's 21 in the book, which the film was based on.
Correct. however it was felt when casting, the leading film stars Michael York & Jenny Agutter, it was felt they couldn't "pull it off" with the age group. ;) Jenny was 24? York 10 years her senior..

May yours & @Max68 's "crystal" (thingy.) remain clear.. :)

Reactions: Max68

Max68

Correct. however it was felt when casting, the leading film stars Michael York & Jenny Agutter, it was felt they couldn't "pull it off" with the age group. ;) Jenny was 24? York 10 years her senior..

May yours & @Max68 's "crystal" (thingy.) remain clear.. :)

I'm sure Jenny could have got away with it. After all Olivia Newton John was 29 and Stockard Channing 33 when playing college kids in Grease! Think Travolta was youngest at 23! Anyway I digress from the subject matter, although Summer Nights and Your the One that I Want would have been different with masks, visors and social distancing!!! ;)

May all our crystals remain clear for some time! ;)

Reactions: hankjam and EllieM

Ceebee2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone, and to be honest, I asked the question in as few words as possible, in an effort to try to avoid any heightened emotion. Seems I failed this time around.

I too feel frustrated about some of the things being asked of us, in their futility and ineffectiveness. All I have tried to do is overlay a layer of practicality on all of these things.

Unfortunately, crime hasn't stopped with COVID around. Theoretically, of course, the criminals should be staying home, but in reality, they're out there doing their thing. In this village that includes breaking into homes to steal car keys to take cars away. I'm sure those burglars would claim they are trying to stay at a "social distance" from their victims. our village Facebook page posts a summary of the previous weeks activity by the police officers manning/dealing with the village. They don't seem to be twiddling their thumbs.[irony off ]

In Thailand, they have opened their borders a teeny- tiny chink, with incomers allowed from a very small number of countries - primarily China. Their quarantine arrangements involve the sort of thing you are advocating. It's not working too well, yet this is in a country where police compliance in this sort of thing is usually pretty high. (It happens to be very low in other circumstances, but that's a whole different moral and cultural debate.)

Wherever any of us sits on the spectrum, I think, without exception, people are frustrated and experiencing lockdown-burnout to a variable extent. I don't know what the answer to it is, but it feels like it's not going to be over any time soon.

Wishing every single one of us on this forum, and beyond the best of fortunes in this. Nobody wants to experience this, by all accounts, including your own.

I live in Thailand and take exception to your comment that Thai quarantine is not working too well. It is in fact working very well.
Anyone arriving in Thailand has to have 2 weeks pre booked in a hotel designated as state quarantine. They have to have covid free certification before being allowed on plane to fly here. They are tested on arrival and transported direct to their hotel. Once in hotel they are not allowed to leave there room for the two weeks. I think they might be allowed to leave room for a short period every day for excercise but still have to be within the hotel. During their stay they are tested twice, the last one near end of 2 weeks if clear they can leave and live as normal.
Since beginning of covid Thailand has had a total of 60 deaths from covid!
Most people coming are returning Thais although some foreigners are beginning to be allowed.
Also if at any point in quarantine they test positive, they don’t just isolate they go to hospital.
My sister in law and niece are currently ending quarantine after returning from Sweden.
The thing that is not doing well here is the tourist industry which has been dessimated as a result of foreign tourists being banned until very recently. They are just beginning to allow some form of tourism from low risk countries (definitely not from Europe)
As type 2 on insulin and stage 3 kidney disease I am very happy with how the Thais have handled things

Reactions: Picci

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Question @Ceebee2 who pays for that quarantine. I know when quarantined in Australia my neighbours son had to pick up the bill himself. This country would self combust if it was asked to do that.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just read something interesting it seems if you decide to go for a drive for any reason not permitted by the lock down rules and you have an accident then your insurance cover would likely be invalidated though this may vary depending on your insurance company so it is advisable to check with your insurance company what their rule is on this.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read something interesting it seems if you decide to go for a drive for any reason not permitted by the lock down rules and you have an accident then your insurance cover would likely be invalidated though this may vary depending on your insurance company so it is advisable to check with your insurance company what their rule is on this.
If you have just had an accident then it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use the excuse that you were testing your eyesight.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Question @Ceebee2 who pays for that quarantine. I know when quarantined in Australia my neighbours son had to pick up the bill himself. This country would self combust if it was asked to do that.
The visitor pays.
I have been looking onto it for a friend who usually overwinters in Thailand.
Although that's looking pretty unlikely this year.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you have just had an accident then it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use the excuse that you were testing your eyesight.

Probably not that is unless you have a mate called Boris.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Thailand and take exception to your comment that Thai quarantine is not working too well. It is in fact working very well.
Anyone arriving in Thailand has to have 2 weeks pre booked in a hotel designated as state quarantine. They have to have covid free certification before being allowed on plane to fly here. They are tested on arrival and transported direct to their hotel. Once in hotel they are not allowed to leave there room for the two weeks. I think they might be allowed to leave room for a short period every day for excercise but still have to be within the hotel. During their stay they are tested twice, the last one near end of 2 weeks if clear they can leave and live as normal.
Since beginning of covid Thailand has had a total of 60 deaths from covid!
Most people coming are returning Thais although some foreigners are beginning to be allowed.
Also if at any point in quarantine they test positive, they don’t just isolate they go to hospital.
My sister in law and niece are currently ending quarantine after returning from Sweden.
The thing that is not doing well here is the tourist industry which has been dessimated as a result of foreign tourists being banned until very recently. They are just beginning to allow some form of tourism from low risk countries (definitely not from Europe)
As type 2 on insulin and stage 3 kidney disease I am very happy with how the Thais have handled things

I agree that Thailand have few cases, which is similar in nearby Vietnam. I have interests in both countries - one where a family member is struggling to return and the other where a family member is, without a credible route home (that one is complicated, so won't elaborate).

The visa situations for both countries seem pretty complicated at the moment, and it would also appear to depend, in Thailand where the person intends to be, as well as the purpose of the trip) we have reluctantly shelved plans to visit this year, or in the early part of next, so have a UK winter in prospect, which we don't enjoy.

Reactions: Picci

Ceebee2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

The person travelling to Thailand has to have booking for quarantine paid before they are given permission to fly to Thailand. They will not be allowed on plane without authorisation from Thai embassy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All. This thread is about Covid. It mentions General Chat, but that is in relation to Covid, not anything else. There are now a number of posts which are derailing the thread.

Please bear that in mind. Any further derailing posts will be deleted.

Hi

Another reminder, please to stick to the topic of this thread. Some posts not meeting the criteria have been deleted for derailment.

Thanks.

Reactions: Picci and Max68

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The points raised seem obvious to me. I’m still wearing my FFP2 mask. I’m still the only person in school doing this. The primary school I work in has around 450 students together with around 65 staff members. The disinfectant being used is only antibacterial not antiviral. The school is cleaned once in the morning before anyone arrives and again in the evening.
LSAs wipe student’s tables down before lunch. No other cleaning happens during the school day.
No social distancing in bubbles. Hands are washed on arrival and before break and lunch. Hand gel is available and used by the children after break and lunch and many do bring their own gels in.
In my opinion, while some precautions are obviously being taken, this is not a Covid safe environment and I am not at all surprised that infections began to rise as soon as schools, colleges and universities returned in September.

klojar4467

Yes,on reading comment from Matt Hancock it made no sense whatsoever! Basically said yep high risk of infection but as good as shrugged shoulders. I think they are fighting a losing battle and indeed playing a reactive game of "whack a mole". To openly state the risk and admit they havent a solution or the solution would be disastrous for the economy is something they cant or wont do. They blunder on regardless hoping public follow suit
emoji848.png

Reactions: Jbicheno and JRT

lizzeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help. I work in a school teaching the reception class and obviously diabetic. I’m in school at the moment but need to have a risk assessment with regards to Coronavirus. Could anyone help as I’m trying to update the one my head sent me as hers is very generic and needs to be more specific for someone with diabetes. Thanks

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help. I work in a school teaching the reception class and obviously diabetic. I’m in school at the moment but need to have a risk assessment with regards to Coronavirus. Could anyone help as I’m trying to update the one my head sent me as hers is very generic and needs to be more specific for someone with diabetes. Thanks

Hi lizzeb, you should have a personal risk assessment which acknowledges your risk as a diabetic and what the school is doing about it.
Many on here know of my fight to wear a face mask, an FFP2 which offers me some protection. I work as an LSA in year 6 in a primary school. Currently I am awaiting my new risk assessment but as government guidelines have changed to allow them in classrooms in certain circumstances I’m wearing it anyway.
There is lots of advice online including templates. You could try your union website or Diabetes Uk website. I would share mine if I had it! Good luck.

Reactions: Max68 and JRT

lizzeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to hear about your difficulties during this current time. I will have a look on the Diabetes Uk for some more information. Would you mind sending me a copy of your risk assessment once you receive it please. Thanks

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
We have sent our U5, L6 and U6 year groups home this week. Three staff have tested positive and seven students. I'm relieved to be working from home even if I had to mark 100 entrance papers yesterday. I have been given 150 for Monday. Some papers have been in quarantine for a week. I'm still marking them on a plastic sheet, with gloves and a mask and wiping the area afterwards.

Reactions: Jbicheno