Managing exercise and insulin

Yes, inadequate insulin can impair performance. When I was younger I used ti inject and eat before exercise so I didn't run out of energy. The alternative is to become fat adapted. Takes some getting-used-to but that way we don't need insulin to fuel exercise. I now eat ketogenically and I don't eat before exercise.

Yeah good point! I've been slowly getting more "fat adapted" I'm up to the 2.5 hour mark now before I have to take any carbs on.... as I'm not on a pump I'm thinking the only real way to drag that out is reduce my basal further, but again that throws up the question; how far does one go with that until you are inhibiting more than you are helping...

Sadjers

Yes, inadequate insulin can impair performance. When I was younger I used ti inject and eat before exercise so I didn't run out of energy. The alternative is to become fat adapted. Takes some getting-used-to but that way we don't need insulin to fuel exercise. I now eat ketogenically and I don't eat before exercise.
I'm very interested in your ketogenic meal control. I tried the Atkins diet about 25 years ago but didn't have the knowledge or the internet to find out how to manage my diabetes and no doctorwas interested in helping me. I remember my need for insulin increasing which, at the time, I thought was very odd.
Any advice would be great.

Reactions: Duncan Lord

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi all, I keep hypoing after my daily 40 minute dog walk! This is the only execersize I am currently doing (other than housework) as I was only diagnosed a few week ago and just getting used to my body and insulin.

Any tips??

I cleaned the back garden yesterday and had a hypo!! I was 8 when I started

DickieBird

Hi all, I keep hypoing after my daily 40 minute dog walk! This is the only execersize I am currently doing (other than housework) as I was only diagnosed a few week ago and just getting used to my body and insulin.

Any tips??

I find that having a roll of fruit pastilles in my bag helps. If working or walking I find every 2 miles or about 20 mins 2 pastilles works

eshobabu

Circus that's basically my experience, any kind of serious exercise just makes you feel awful after a few minutes. It is really annoying to realise that it isn't even diabetes that is causing this, exactly the opposite, it's the TREATMENT for the diabetes which is causing this, not that we have any choice.

I usually take 0.5 to 1 unit with breakfast because I am trying to eat low (well no) carb and I have to admit some sort of carb content for the peppers and onions in a vegetable omelette or whatever it is. Probably half a unit is still too much but I would rather be low than high given the long term risks. Before running I have tried eating apples (14g each) and so on but either it isn't enough or it isn't fast enough. Sometimes if I am below 6 before bed I will eat a couple of crackers (5.3g each) and they go in far faster but I would be terrified of trying to do that as a way to fuel running because you'd end up at some scary number before you knew it.

It just doesn't seem like there's any way to have enough fuel on board to actually do a half hour run, without the drugs ruining it. That's probably about what I used to do, half an hour each way. The only backup plan I have is to just keep sipping glucose drinks as I go but that seems very easy to get wrong and end up damaging yourself. At the end of the day it feels like there are a lot of things you can in theory do with diabetes, you can eat big slices of chocolate cake and meals with chapatis and white rice and you can go running. While I wouldn't want to speak for anyone else, for me the risks of doing these things outweigh the reward. And I do not say that lightly.

You know, I felt this exact same way when my child was diagnosed 3 months ago. But with enough trial, I have found how much time of what activity will bring her down by how much. For example, we play a game where she jumps off the bed on to a cushion. I know if she does that for 10 minutes, she will drop by 50 mg/dl. And it's one of our fun things to do when we end up under-dozing, or if she does it I know to give her a 5 g snack, which I know will bring her up by 50. It's all math, and once you figure out numbers, it's not impossible. Again, things will change with hormones, puberty, growth, and even random days. But you have to keep in mind, we're so fortunate that we're in 2020 and facing this with CGMs, multiple insulins, much faster acting insulins, pumps, treatments, and as the years go on, it will continue to get better. Glass always half full!

Albert Sly

I never called myself a runner when I could just run whenever I wanted, I was just someone who went running, however I have been saying "I was a runner" quite a bit. Totally a case of not realising what you have until it is gone. It wasn't really about fitness (though I was fit), it was about head space and getting some time to think. I used to do it to process ideas like "should I make this big financial commitment" or "should I move into that flat" or "I have type 1 diabetes and that is horrifying." So I basically can't do the thing that I usually would do in order to deal with the problem and I didn't really know I was using it like that.

I have tried to go running, I have not been able to do it without feeling really bad. Right now as I sit here I feel like I am just getting over a bout of flu as I have for weeks, and if I run I can only go at half speed and one quarter distance and the feeling gets worse until I get the shakes and have to stop.

If I can only run if I do a bunch of preparation and mental arithmetic and risk feeling bad, then I will just be thinking about those things all the time and it will defeat the purpose of doing it. Looking back I realise that the purpose of running was to be free of day to day cares and spend some time going over things in my head, and if I can't do that then frankly it is totally pointless.

To end on something useful if not positive, anyone who suspects they have this disease needs to see a doctor absolutely immediately because part of my problem is ketoacidosis which has completely torn up any level of fitness I had. Do not delay, I could have had it for WAY less time and been WAY less damaged by it.

Albert Sly

Hi Susie. As a type 1 for many years(20+)and experienced many highs and lows, I was thinking that you should make enquiries about getting a FreeStyle Libre kit that is available on the NHS. It changed my life in enabling my better management of BG and helping also my Diabetic Team monitor my levels. Good luck and don't give up what can be at an uphill struggle a struggle at times to manage blood sugar levels.

Reactions: Juicyj and Bri79

Duncan Lord

Any tips??

Hello,
I was diagnosed at the end of March this year following a car accident. Blood glucose on entering hospital were off the meter at 29 or 30.
Originally I was type 2 and diagnosis changed to type 1 after blood tests for the antigens.
I’m 64 years young so it was a slight surprise, to say the least.
Was started on 1 Metformin tablet morning and night And 12 units in morning and 8 units in evening.
Once home and a couple of weeks passed, I started to exercise more but found, like yourself that to do any walk needed carbohydrates or Glucose levels fell quickly. I’m testing 7 times a day as want to get back my Class2 Bus License. I’m also trying to keep my BG above 5.0 to be in region for driving.
On doing my 5km walk up to the chemist and Dr’s my levels had dropped to just below 4.
Had meal and it was corrected. But seeing it made me put the two together.
Diabetes team cut insulin and doubled Metformin.
Then insulin levels cut twice more so that I’m now on 3 units in AM and 1 unit PM plus the Metformin morning and night.
My advice would be to test test and test and keep a diary of food exercise and blood sugars with the times And any comments about how you feel.
Yes a pain in the backside but it lets you piece together information not readily apparent.
What happened when? What happens if?
I know I’m still “young at this malarkey”, but I’m determined it is going to live with me rather than me live with it.
Good luck!
Duncan

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
I used to jog but to scared to till I get the insulin right for me and exercise after having hypo on acwalk scared me to much

Dianemacfaden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ugliness
A number of members have posted recently about sport and exercise and ways to manage blood glucose levels before/during/after the event, and as someone who rides a bike, swims regularly and since 2 months ago has started running twice a week (with the help of a libre sensor), i'd be keen to hear from others about what exercise you do, what achievements you've had, what tips you have for exercise/sport and just a general chat about how you manage it.

Personally I do it to stay well and fit as well as to challenge my t1 status and to prove that nothing can stop me from living a 'normal life, and each time I feel like slowing down or stopping I grit my teeth and keep going..

Hi
As a type 1 for 50 years and reasonably fit and well and now retired I go to classes at my local gym several times a week. I manage my levels using a Libre and find if I can go in with a level of 6 or above I can keep steady not too badly. If in doubt I might take 1 glucose tablet or something small like a dried prune just to prevent major dips. I do follow a low carb diet on the whole and find that helps too. Just keep going and experimenting and you will get there. Good luck.

Reactions: RobertJ

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
@Juicyj & @NicoleC1971
Hi girls, I am planning to go to a yoga class before teatime tonight. Do either of you have general experience of whether this type of exercise drastically lowers BG. For an active workout I tend to lower basal by 40%
Thanks

Doug88

A number of members have posted recently about sport and exercise and ways to manage blood glucose levels before/during/after the event, and as someone who rides a bike, swims regularly and since 2 months ago has started running twice a week (with the help of a libre sensor), i'd be keen to hear from others about what exercise you do, what achievements you've had, what tips you have for exercise/sport and just a general chat about how you manage it.

Personally I do it to stay well and fit as well as to challenge my t1 status and to prove that nothing can stop me from living a 'normal life, and each time I feel like slowing down or stopping I grit my teeth and keep going..

I do quiet a bit of different activities and have learned that for each I've had to experiment to find out what works best. Over time I've slowly built a insulin/carb protocol for each and when doing something different for the first time I generally take a best-guess and bring plenty extra carbs to cover any lows.

For me:
Running around 10k ish - temp basal at 10% for an hour scheduled 2 hrs before and then eating 20g before starting.
Cycling around an hour - temp basal at 20% for an hour scheduled 2 hrs before - no eating required before starting.
Gym - no temp basal - 10g carbs before starting

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
That's a good strategy @Doug88 - it is very much trial and error to start with but then you quickly get to know your thresholds and limits.

Personally I use the gym when dealing with stubborns highs as I find that when coasting in the teens, about 20-30 mins on either the rower, bike or just weights can kick that into touch, but otherwise I do the same and make sure I am above 8mmol/l before starting otherwise 10g of carb, or I have 10g carb at the end to stop me going into a hypo.

Running I prefer mornings as more insulin resistant then but always start above 7mmol/l if doing 5km then no action, for 10km or more then temp basal 1 hour before and 15-20g of carb before.

Cycling is still a tricky one, as i've almost ended up in a ditch few times now due to running low after an hour on the road bike altho regular glucose hits throughout seem to work best as well as temp basal, but have stayed off the bike recently as I find running and the gym my favourite and safest options ;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Juicyj & @NicoleC1971
Hi girls, I am planning to go to a yoga class before teatime tonight. Do either of you have general experience of whether this type of exercise drastically lowers BG. For an active workout I tend to lower basal by 40%
Thanks

My tip is to have around 15-20g of carb with no bolus and try starting the class with an aim to have your BG levels higher than 8/9 mmol/l, I would also drop your basal further too and an hour beforehand to ensure you have less bolus in your system. I prefer to run high for yoga as I find I also drain glucose really quickly when doing this.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
My tip is to have around 15-20g of carb with no bolus and try starting the class with an aim to have your BG levels higher than 8/9 mmol/l, I would also drop your basal further too and an hour beforehand to ensure you have less bolus in your system. I prefer to run high for yoga as I find I also drain glucose really quickly when doing this.
Thanks Juicy J appreciate your help. Will give it a go!

Reactions: Juicyj

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Juicyj & @NicoleC1971
Thanks
Hi and I hope you enjoy it.
Depends on the yoga. For example I do a class which is 'hot' thus making my insulin work faster but typically I would not need to lower as much as I would for Group Cycle. Yoga can be challenging but is bodyweight and static typically so may even push your blood sugars in the other way.
Bottom line is to be conservative until you know how you will respond!
Enjoy your class!

Reactions: Soplewis12

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi and I hope you enjoy it.
Depends on the yoga. For example I do a class which is 'hot' thus making my insulin work faster but typically I would not need to lower as much as I would for Group Cycle. Yoga can be challenging but is bodyweight and static typically so may even push your blood sugars in the other way.
Bottom line is to be conservative until you know how you will respond!
Enjoy your class!
Thanks for your help Nicole.

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting, this morning my BG was 14.8 so gave myself a couple of units, had small breakfast gave a further 4 units then decided I would go and have a long cycle ride, I started, got about 7 miles and did a BG reading, was very angry when it was 15.9 and in an upwardly direction so as I was cycling popped in 2
units and of course on the way home had to stop about 4 times as the BG came tumbling down even with lucozade and ginger snaps, just a rant but sometimes it does make me MAAAD.

Cheers all.