Glucose after burger & chips!

Doireallyneedanams

Hi all.

I have a question for type 2 diabetics, preferably diet controlled, if I may!

If you were to eat the following, what glucose reading would you expect to see at the 1&!2 hour mark? Obviously I know you can’t give me an exact figure but a rough idea would be helpful.

120g carb in the form of:
- Full portion of sweet potato fries
- Battered chicken breast fillet burger in white sesame bun
- A couple deep fried mac & cheese fingers

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No one can give you an answer as we all process carbs differently, I don't think many would even want to see what it would spike to, I know I certainly wouldn't.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Just guesses if say starting from 5.5:
1 hour: 7.5 - 8.0
2 hour: 8.5 - 9.0

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think a reply to this would be a bit like

If I had wheels I'd be a bus.

Very few diet controlled T2s manage to eat a meal like that, most are on less than 120g a day. T2s can eat that sort of thing, but generally only if they adopt the medicated route (drugs culminating in large quantities of insulin).

Having said all that, some people go into remission by losing weight and can temporarily tolerate that sort of diet - it's just that it tends to drive them back out of remission.

And having said all that, everyone's body is different, so no doubt some people can cope with it.

Doireallyneedanams

I think a reply to this would be a bit like

If I had wheels I'd be a bus.

Very few diet controlled T2s manage to eat a meal like that, most are on less than 120g a day. T2s can eat that sort of thing, but generally only if they adopt the medicated route (drugs culminating in large quantities of insulin).

Having said all that, some people go into remission by losing weight and can temporarily tolerate that sort of diet - it's just that it tends to drive them back out of remission.

And having said all that, everyone's body is different, so no doubt some people can cope with it.
I understand. I’ve just been reading a lot on diabetes as I have siblings with type 2. I had suspected gestational and after this exact meal saw 8.4, which seemed crazy at the time (and was the reason for my diagnosis, despite no OGTT) - yet the other day my healthy partner had a 55g sugar energy drink, asked me to test him out of curiosity and he, too, saw 8.4. I know it’s different depending on fats etc but this theory that non diabetics will never spike above 7.8 is beginning to seem farcical, so I’m curious what a true diabetic would see after this type of meal.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I just had a burger yesterday, I should have tested lol.
But I didn’t eat the bun, and I only had three onion rings.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even as an insulin dependant Type 1 I would never eat such a meal

Doireallyneedanams

Even as an insulin dependant Type 1 I would never eat such a meal

Interestingly my best friend has been type 1 since she was 10 and eats like this regularly. I was under the impression you could do so as you would inject, unlike type 2. Saying that, I have been on trips to the hospital with her a fair few times.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it’s different depending on fats etc but this theory that non diabetics will never spike above 7.8 is beginning to seem farcical, so I’m curious what a true diabetic would see after this type of meal.

I've posted this before but the is a non-diabetic low carb doctor who wore a cgm & experimented.
This was his McDonalds experience.
https://twitter.com/DocRunner1/status/1163803780179271681
ECaz846UwAQpGTG

Deeper in the replies a pharmacist posted the CGM profile of one of his non-diabetic staff who did the same.
https://twitter.com/grahamsphillips/status/1163842842353160192

ECbM5AHWsAAW5yj

So yes, CGM's have thrown the 7.8 rule out the window.
That's why I reckon once wearables are able to give accurate real time glucose readings it will be a bad time to buy shares in processed food companies.

Doireallyneedanams

I've posted this before but the is a non-diabetic low carb doctor who wore a cgm & experimented.
This was his McDonalds experience.
https://twitter.com/DocRunner1/status/1163803780179271681
ECaz846UwAQpGTG

Deeper in the replies a pharmacist posted the CGM profile of one of his non-diabetic staff who did the same.
https://twitter.com/grahamsphillips/status/1163842842353160192

ECbM5AHWsAAW5yj

So yes, CGM's have thrown the 7.8 rule out the window.
That's why I reckon once wearables are able to give accurate real time glucose readings it will be a bad time to buy shares in processed food companies.
Wow - that is interesting but he hit 12.3 after McDonald’s. Isn’t any read over 11 a diagnosis of diabetes in the UK? I knew non diabetics could easily hit 8-9 but 12...

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interestingly my best friend has been type 1 since she was 10 and eats like this regularly. I was under the impression you could do so as you would inject, unlike type 2. Saying that, I have been on trips to the hospital with her a fair few times.
I suffered an eating disorder after I was diagnosed which I still haven't fully recovered from, people chose to do what they want but bolus timing (when you inject your insulin) plays a big part in controlling spikes in BG, there is so much to take into account in timing this, site used, time of day, fat and protein content in the meal so it isn't just all about carbs, spikes can do damage as well so best to the limit them and iron them out but the fat content in this Type of meal could cause a delayed spike after the insulin has finished working so not worth it xx

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I do love a good burger, thankfully there’s a Carl’s Jr. near me that sells a burger wrapped in lettuce. I usually get a side salad and tea

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow - that is interesting but he hit 12.3 after McDonald’s. Isn’t any read over 11 a diagnosis of diabetes in the UK? I knew non diabetics could easily hit 8-9 but 12...

There was a CGM experiment conducted on 57 healthy young Stanford University Students where they ate 3 test meals.
Many of them blew through 200 (11.1) on a single bowl of cornflakes.
https://www.futurity.org/blood-sugar-levels-glucose-1823122/

These are the 57 glycemic responses annoyingly overlaid on a single graph for each item they ate.

pbio-2005143-s004-jpg.39701

Perhaps we should be easier on ourselves when we see a high number.

Doireallyneedanams

There was a CGM experiment conducted on 57 healthy young Stanford University Students where they ate 3 test meals.

These are the 57 glycemic responses annoyingly overlaid on a single graph for each item they ate.

This is SO confusing. Where do you draw the line then? My a1c in pregnancy was 33, regardless of this I was told I had gestational diabetes due to a read of 8.4 after the above meal. I didn’t have any symptoms, nor was my pregnancy symptomatic of GD (no glucose in urine, baby average size, babies sugars perfect at birth etc) - yet I was put under an immeasurable amount of stress with this diagnosis as I didn’t know what it would mean for my birth and baby. Now, I’m not convinced I had it. Baby was born tiny with excess loose skin, I suspect from my sudden change to a low carb diet that was not necessary and starved baby of what it needed. It would suggest my body was handling carbohydrates fine in the first instance.

i find it appalling. GD can lead to inductions, c-sections, all sorts for something that might not even exist. The diabetic dietician I was seeing during my pregnancy even said to me there just isn’t even research into what non diabetic pregnant women’s glucose does, so much so that she herself was pregnant and said she was going to experiment with one of the monitors mentioned above to see what actually happens.

even worse, due to Covid hospitals are now “diagnosing” gestational diabetes with an Hba1c (threshold being 40 I believe) to avoid long stays in hospital performing an OGTT.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

I have a question for type 2 diabetics, preferably diet controlled, if I may!

If you were to eat the following, what glucose reading would you expect to see at the 1&!2 hour mark? Obviously I know you can’t give me an exact figure but a rough idea would be helpful.

120g carb in the form of:
- Full portion of sweet potato fries
- Battered chicken breast fillet burger in white sesame bun
- A couple deep fried mac & cheese fingers
It's different fro everyone, but I'd be seeing double digits, even with my slightly improved insulin sensitivity. Not good. It'd make me ill. One responds better to it than the other, but for me... That seems like straight-up poison. That said.... I have gone to Five Guys, McD's and Burger King etc, and just ordered burgers without the buns. (And before going carnivore, I'd have them add whatever low carb options were available. At 5 Guys it'd be a feast, with mushrooms, onions, lettuce, tomato, bacon and whatnot. I've also ordered a stack of 5 burger patties over at McD's. Got some strange looks, but it was good! :))

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is SO confusing. Where do you draw the line then? My a1c in pregnancy was 33, regardless of this I was told I had gestational diabetes due to a read of 8.4 after the above meal. I didn’t have any symptoms, nor was my pregnancy symptomatic of GD (no glucose in urine, baby average size, babies sugars perfect at birth etc) - yet I was put under an immeasurable amount of stress with this diagnosis as I didn’t know what it would mean for my birth and baby. Now, I’m not convinced I had it. Baby was born tiny with excess loose skin, I suspect from my sudden change to a low carb diet that was not necessary and starved baby of what it needed. It would suggest my body was handling carbohydrates fine in the first instance.

i find it appalling. GD can lead to inductions, c-sections, all sorts for something that might not even exist. The diabetic dietician I was seeing during my pregnancy even said to me there just isn’t even research into what non diabetic pregnant women’s glucose does, so much so that she herself was pregnant and said she was going to experiment with one of the monitors mentioned above to see what actually happens.

even worse, due to Covid hospitals are now “diagnosing” gestational diabetes with an Hba1c (threshold being 40 I believe) to avoid long stays in hospital performing an OGTT.

It's an evolving science & we're the generation that's pretty much the guinea pigs.
The only solid data they had on the non-diabetic population pre cgm's has come from the OGTT.
Which saw the average person start around 5 mmol/L go up to 7 or 8 then back down to 5 at the 2 hour matk.
It never considered the real world dynamic of eating where you could graze over a starter, main course, desert & beer over 90 mins.
The complexity of protein, fats, carbs, alcohol all ariving in different quantities over an extended time frame was impossible to standardise against a general population.
Much easier to rely on the data from 75g pure glucose chugged back in under 3 mins.

I'm afraid you have been the victim of the old fashioned data they have to hand, FBG, Hba1c & random.
Your random shouldn't have even raised an eyebrow but they don't know any better.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Or maybe we should simply avoid the foods that cause them?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my sudden change to a low carb diet that was not necessary and starved baby of what it needed

Sorry but this is misleading nonsense..

Plenty of low carbers get pregnant and have "normal" babies .. in fact it seems there are many women who become pregnant after changing their diet to low carb when previously they couldn't.