Statins and the nocibo effects

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A new study from imperial apparently found 90% of side effects of statins are psychosomatic when compared against sugar pills. The blame is laid on the media’s doorstep for scaring everyone against them.

Haven’t read the study, just saw the item on the bbc tonight. Wonder how much good the sugar did though ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Imperial again.. 100% in the pockets of vaccine and drug makers..

Reactions: HSSS

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I fought my doctor when she asked me to go on statins. My cholesterol was not too bad, but she was insistent so I gave in. I can honestly say I have experienced no side effects at all and my Cholesterol is now well in the normal range.
I take no medication for my T2 and have dropped my HBA1c from 53 to 40 and held it there for three years.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The placebo effect is very powerful. Especially with psycho active drugs. Like 40% of the placebo group reporting symptomatic relief during an anti-depressant trial, but there is a big placebo affect with all drugs. That users get adverse symptoms because they expect them is not surprising. I wonder how much placebo reduces heart attack risk....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It took me years to get over a few weeks of Atorvastatin and Metformin.
Swapping to a sugar pill after 4 months of statins would have given the same result, a slight reduction in the symptoms. It was 18 months before the pain in my lower left leg subsided, and it is over 3 years and I am still suddenly remembering things I lost back then - I just hope it continues to come back as I lost so much.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fought my doctor when she asked me to go on statins. My cholesterol was not too bad, but she was insistent so I gave in. I can honestly say I have experienced no side effects at all and my Cholesterol is now well in the normal range.
I take no medication for my T2 and have dropped my HBA1c from 53 to 40 and held it there for three years.

Why did you have to fight?.. I just say no thanks.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A new study from imperial apparently found 90% of side effects of statins are psychosomatic when compared against sugar pills. The blame is laid on the media’s doorstep for scaring everyone against them.

Haven’t read the study, just saw the item on the bbc tonight. Wonder how much good the sugar did though ?
Took me weeks to figure out why my rheumatism was flaring so much I didn't sleep anymore. The pain was horrific, and I kept looking to foods: what was triggering, while I was doing everything right?!

Couple of days off the statins, and it was over. The sugar tablets would've indeed posed a problem entirely of their own. ;)

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Why did you have to fight?.. I just say no thanks.
I did say no thanks, for two years. They kept raising it though. To be honest, I'm glad they did as the negatives have been zero and my cholesterol is a lot lower.

Reactions: peter-c and JudyLee

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi- how do you manage not to take medication. What is your diet like?

Thanks

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did say no thanks, for two years. They kept raising it though. To be honest, I'm glad they did as the negatives have been zero and my cholesterol is a lot lower.
May I ask what your cholesterol was then and what it is now?

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i took 80mg Atorvastatin after my first stroke. I had no problems for over a year, then developed leg pains so was switched to Simvastatin. shortly after i had a second stroke, probably coincidence but the vascular consultant went ape because i'd been switched. Ordered back on Atorvastatin and had no more leg pains since. I would like to stop taking them but given my medical history i'm wary of stopping.