The signs

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thirst, peeing, recurring thrush and feeling too warm all the time.
Diagnosed at 39 (LADA type 1)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As this is your first post, I would like to ask you why you are asking this question. Are you a diabetic, or thinking you maight be?

Personally, I was 66, diagnosed Type 2 from a routine blood test with absolutely no symptoms at all.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi qhat were the first sign of your diabetes were you younger or older when you were diagnosed
I thought my T2 symptoms were related to my wonky thyroid and chronically low vitamin D, so I thought the extreme fatigue and muscle weakness, depression and brain fog were down to those things. I did find my urine to have a sweet smell, but as for frequency, I've always urinated frequently, so that didn't really trigger any thoughts either. I figured, well, I drink a lot, of course I pee a lot. (That is a "duh" thing now, looking back...) When I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease I googled possible causes, and diabetes was one of them. I borrowed our cat's meter, (Night was an insulin-dependant diabetic kitty), and that sealed the deal: rather than rule T2 out, it was most glaringly ruled in. So if you really want to know whether you are diabetic or no.... Get your blood checked out. If it's hard to see a doctor now, a pharmacy might help, or someone you know who has a meter. or you get one for yourself, and see how your blood sugars are faring. I was 36 when diagnosed, but likely to have been a T2 years before that.

All the best,
Jo

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fatigue, falling asleep all the time, contant thirst & urination.
Was 47 when diagnosed, modbidly obese & sedentary for years, classic fatty T2.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed with type 1 in my mid 30s when I presented myself at the GP due to excessive thirst, constant need to pee (except when I was asked for a urine test!), blurred vision, exhaustion and thrush.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi qhat were the first sign of your diabetes were you younger or older when you were diagnosed

I was at work, I was so thirsty I’ve never felt anything like it, drank 2 pints of milk, 3 litres of orange juice, so much water all one after the other trying to stop the thirst. I went home woke up in the morning and could barely see..saw the doctor that morning and sent to hospital with blood sugars of 21.. 38yrs old..

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dx'd T1 aged 21. Weight loss, incredible thirst, horrible boil things on my back and I would fall asleep anywhere. I was at a house party and fell asleep directly infront if some 3ft speakers thumping away - and I was designated driver! Strange thing was nobody thought I should see a doctor.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No symptoms at all at 60.
Only had the test because my elder sister was diagnosed and that put me into a higher risk category

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Age 32, had been to the doctors a few times due to recurring thrush, really dry skin and hair loss. Doctor finally agreed to a blood test which was to check iron levels and other stuff as I was very concerned about how much hair I was losing! Think we were both surprised when it came back with type 2. Blood sugars controlled now and symptoms have gone.

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thirsty all the time , Frequent urination , also very sweet smelling urine and stools .
That made me go get checked at my GPS , blood test came back at 90 HbA1c, type 2.
I was and still am 62 years old

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No symptoms.
As Shakespeare pointed out, old age, beer and sugar creep up on us.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
no symptoms diagnosed after medical for work.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed via a routine blood test. No symptoms that couldn’t be attributed to something else. Quite a shock... for me and my doctor!

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Extreme grumpiness, argumentative and lazy, once i got my sugar under control, I found my symptons didnt change at all, turns out they were in fact symptons of my personality.

Nah not really, for me it was extreme thirst

Reactions: Dudette1

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was 25 and pregnant, was picked up in 10 week blood test diet controlled.
Kept it at bay...gestational diabetes again at 30, insulin controlled at end, then told prediabetic although no symptoms. Told type 2 aged 33 after I went dr with sypmotlms go high blood sugars, tired, ill a lot, weeing etc. Worsening over the next couple years despite lifestyle and meds, at 36 told type 1 after positive antibodies and islet cells and on insulin.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Diagnosed age 8, preglucometers.. My T1 (diagnosed when she was at death's door) mother took me to the GP after I'd woken in the night for a drink of water two nights running. After being told that I might have to have a second blood test if the first one wasn't positive I naively thought that a positive result would be a good idea :).