1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

The signs

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by gus5959, Nov 17, 2020.

1. gus5959

gus5959 · Newbie

Hi qhat were the first sign of your diabetes were you younger or older when you were diagnosed

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thirst, peeing, recurring thrush and feeling too warm all the time.
    Diagnosed at 39 (LADA type 1)

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

As this is your first post, I would like to ask you why you are asking this question. Are you a diabetic, or thinking you maight be?

Personally, I was 66, diagnosed Type 2 from a routine blood test with absolutely no symptoms at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I thought my T2 symptoms were related to my wonky thyroid and chronically low vitamin D, so I thought the extreme fatigue and muscle weakness, depression and brain fog were down to those things. I did find my urine to have a sweet smell, but as for frequency, I've always urinated frequently, so that didn't really trigger any thoughts either. I figured, well, I drink a lot, of course I pee a lot. (That is a "duh" thing now, looking back...) When I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease I googled possible causes, and diabetes was one of them. I borrowed our cat's meter, (Night was an insulin-dependant diabetic kitty), and that sealed the deal: rather than rule T2 out, it was most glaringly ruled in. So if you really want to know whether you are diabetic or no.... Get your blood checked out. If it's hard to see a doctor now, a pharmacy might help, or someone you know who has a meter. or you get one for yourself, and see how your blood sugars are faring. I was 36 when diagnosed, but likely to have been a T2 years before that.

All the best,
    Jo

5. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fatigue, falling asleep all the time, contant thirst & urination.
    Was 47 when diagnosed, modbidly obese & sedentary for years, classic fatty T2.

6. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with type 1 in my mid 30s when I presented myself at the GP due to excessive thirst, constant need to pee (except when I was asked for a urine test!), blurred vision, exhaustion and thrush.

7. Dudette1

Dudette1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was at work, I was so thirsty I’ve never felt anything like it, drank 2 pints of milk, 3 litres of orange juice, so much water all one after the other trying to stop the thirst. I went home woke up in the morning and could barely see..saw the doctor that morning and sent to hospital with blood sugars of 21.. 38yrs old..

8. eventhorizon

eventhorizon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Dx'd T1 aged 21. Weight loss, incredible thirst, horrible boil things on my back and I would fall asleep anywhere. I was at a house party and fell asleep directly infront if some 3ft speakers thumping away - and I was designated driver! Strange thing was nobody thought I should see a doctor.

9. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No symptoms at all at 60.
    Only had the test because my elder sister was diagnosed and that put me into a higher risk category

10. OB87

OB87 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Age 32, had been to the doctors a few times due to recurring thrush, really dry skin and hair loss. Doctor finally agreed to a blood test which was to check iron levels and other stuff as I was very concerned about how much hair I was losing! Think we were both surprised when it came back with type 2. Blood sugars controlled now and symptoms have gone.

11. davd

davd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thirsty all the time , Frequent urination , also very sweet smelling urine and stools .
    That made me go get checked at my GPS , blood test came back at 90 HbA1c, type 2.
    I was and still am 62 years old

12. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

No symptoms.
    As Shakespeare pointed out, old age, beer and sugar creep up on us.

13. Bittern

Bittern Type 2 · Well-Known Member

no symptoms diagnosed after medical for work.

14. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Diagnosed via a routine blood test. No symptoms that couldn’t be attributed to something else. Quite a shock... for me and my doctor!

15. Fenn

Fenn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Extreme grumpiness, argumentative and lazy, once i got my sugar under control, I found my symptons didnt change at all, turns out they were in fact symptons of my personality.

Nah not really, for me it was extreme thirst

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rose22

Rose22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi I was 25 and pregnant, was picked up in 10 week blood test diet controlled.
    Kept it at bay...gestational diabetes again at 30, insulin controlled at end, then told prediabetic although no symptoms. Told type 2 aged 33 after I went dr with sypmotlms go high blood sugars, tired, ill a lot, weeing etc. Worsening over the next couple years despite lifestyle and meds, at 36 told type 1 after positive antibodies and islet cells and on insulin.

17. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Diagnosed age 8, preglucometers.. My T1 (diagnosed when she was at death's door) mother took me to the GP after I'd woken in the night for a drink of water two nights running. After being told that I might have to have a second blood test if the first one wasn't positive I naively thought that a positive result would be a good idea :).

18. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

Diagnosed at age 47 by a routine panel of blood tests. No symptoms at diagnosis.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook