Type 2 no testing machine or anything!

nmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cannot exercise, walk far, balance problems!
type 2 for 4 and a half years and no nothing, no tests, no machine to test with!
South wales do not issue you with a machine, on 1 tablet a day and that is it!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
type 2 for 4 and a half years and no nothing, no tests, no machine to test with!

More or less the same everywhere in the UK. Are you able to purchase one at all?, they really are a godsend. x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Presumably the NHS have been giving you annual hba1c tests?

Unfortunately (possibly/probably as a cost cutting measure) the NHS does not supply blood testing machines to T2s unless/until they progress to insulin boosting medications.

Of course, unless you go low carb and/or test to see how your diet affects your blood sugar, you are likely to progress to medication that enables that meter.....

philosophy47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No annual test for me here in Norfolk. An online chat was promised after they cancelled appointment after appointment with no explanations given. Did that telephone chat occur? No! Due to Covid I expect, but I am fed up waiting for someone to give me a few minutes of their time. With reluctance, I am now doing the best I can with info online and hoping it is reliable. It has been 2 years now without any input from the NHS, bless them.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That's disgracefull imo.

You can order a blood glucose monitor online, test strips are what cost the most, but you really need one.

Red signature link below has some great dietary advice if you need it.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m afraid that if you are expecting anything other than the bare minimum of assistance from the NHS then you will be sorely disappointed. You should be getting your annual foot and sight checks, and HbA1c at least annually. Other than that you are on your own and responsible for your own health and financing your own equipment.

On the plus side, you are here, there is loads advice, assistance and moral support and ultimately it all comes down to you and what you are prepared to do, anyway. So take a look around and and see if you can commit to some self-help in the form of dietary changes - you really can make huge improvements with no medical assistance at all and the people here will help and support you as much as you need.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Had to buy my own in Singapore too, first thing I did, hard to fix what you can’t measure

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to buy my own in Australia- I considered it an investment in my health. Yes the strips are the real cost but for me not as much as the cost of not controlling my blood sugar levels.
I still get my blood tests several times a year but my doctor doesn't really consider them necessary now- she says my levels are well controlled- she is not more worried about my mental health and cholesterol.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't get much guidance here in the Netherlands either, and yeah... I fund my own meters and strips as well. But haven't you been checked at least once a year? You are entitled to eye checks (retinopathy test), feet checks, HbA1c's, etc etc.... I think you might've slipped through the cracks of your surgery. And if not, and this is how they treat all their T2's, they're a really $%^&* surgery. Might want to make a case out of it with the practice manager.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a Navii glucose monitor from Home Health the strips are one of the cheapest on the market Customer service is good ,and they used to give a free meter when you bought 5 boxes of strips .Just look for Home Health on line and check it out
Carol

Reactions: JohnEGreen