Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi all

I have been injecting for around a month now and I just can’t seem to not nip myself a little and draw a tiny bit of blood, then I end up with a tiny little red mark for a while. I mean it’s useful because I know where I have previously injected. But it would be nice to have a clear stomach again! This issue does not tend to happen at any other injection sites only my stomach. It is also important to note that it doesn’t continue to bleed, it is almost like I am just nicking myself with the needle on the way in rather than it just being a nice clean injection and I am doing it almost on every occasion.

I use 4mm needles. Does anyone else tend to nick themselves with the needle? Is this common or do I need to tell my nurse and seek some advice. I just feel I’m not very good at injecting and keep marking myself. If this is common then that’s fine, but if no one else experiences this and there is a way I can improve my technique it would be nice to know!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I quite often draw a bit of blood in both stomach and thigh. It's quite normal as you never know when you are going to 'nick' a vein when going in.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm covered in little bruises around my stomach. I have to do the most blubbery bit I can but I still catch little blood vessels.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Choosehappy do you pinch your flesh when you inject?
It used to be the advice and then, as the needles got smaller, the advice went out of fashion.
However, some of us found that it is still useful to pinch to avoid things like bruises.
Could be worthwhile trying if you don't already.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
@Choosehappy do you pinch your flesh when you inject?
It used to be the advice and then, as the needles got smaller, the advice went out of fashion.
However, some of us found that it is still useful to pinch to avoid things like bruises.
Could be worthwhile trying if you don't already.
Hi thank you all for your response, okay so atleast I know it’s not just me! Thought I’d ask on here to confirm, I don’t mind marks if they are normal and not of concern, especially when I need my insulin either way!!
The nurse told me not to pinch, but I will give it a try and see how I get on, I’ll update you. I do have sensitive/thin skin and bruise really easy as it is so we shall see if it makes a difference

Thanks again for writing back guys!!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thank you all for your response, okay so atleast I know it’s not just me! Thought I’d ask on here to confirm, I don’t mind marks if they are normal and not of concern, especially when I need my insulin either way!!
The nurse told me not to pinch, but I will give it a try and see how I get on, I’ll update you. I do have sensitive/thin skin and bruise really easy as it is so we shall see if it makes a difference

Thanks again for writing back guys!!

Hi there, do you change the needle EVERY SINGLE TIME. If not, you should do. Some people can get away with using the needle a few times (or even more) but on a course we were told you MUST change the needle for every jab as they blunt very easily, even after one use. I don't always practice what I preach if I'm in a rush or out and about BUT after using a needle for a whole day I do notice a few marks. When changing to a new one it slides in like butter. x

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi there, do you change the needle EVERY SINGLE TIME. If not, you should do. Some people can get away with using the needle a few times (or even more) but on a course we were told you MUST change the needle for every jab as they blunt very easily, even after one use. I don't always practice what I preach if I'm in a rush or out and about BUT after using a needle for a whole day I do notice a few marks. When changing to a new one it slides in like butter. x
Hi yea I do always change the needle I inject with, I tried pinching skin earlier and didn’t nick myself so I’m going to keep doing this and see if the good results continue! Thank you for writing back! X

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... I use 4mm needles. ...
I use longer needles. They can still draw blood but don't leave such big marks. Absorption is better. I also give half of my shots into the butt. Lots of adipose tissue there and very few nerve endings. So painless and doesn't get marked. It is a good idea to rotate injection sites. I use the butt, 'love handles' and stomach. The butt is the least accessible but the most comfortable.

Technician87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great deal really...I'm easy!!
I use longer needles. They can still draw blood but don't leave such big marks. Absorption is better. I also give half of my shots into the butt. Lots of adipose tissue there and very few nerve endings. So painless and doesn't get marked. It is a good idea to rotate injection sites. I use the butt, 'love handles' and stomach. The butt is the least accessible but the most comfortable.

I've been looking at my love handle bits and thinking they've deffo got enough chubbiness to inject in to haha but my nurse said stomach, butt, thighs and arms so I haven't!! I will now though!!!