What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Got to bed very late and didn't sleep much, also skipped the exercise, so a bit higher than normal for me at 5.2.

@hankjam -- Good to see you posting on here. Welcome to the thread.
@Chook -- Some brilliant fasting numbers. When did you start on low-cal real foods way of eating?
@mojo37 and @PenguinMum -- Hugs for the higher than desired blood sugars.
@nutribolt -- As you are not on any diabetes-related medication, extending the fast to 48 hours shouldn't be a problem. Your liver should help out with some glucose if blood sugars drop too low.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello all,

Got to bed very late and didn't sleep much, also skipped the exercise, so a bit higher than normal for me at 5.2.

@hankjam -- Good to see you posting on here. Welcome to the thread.
@Chook -- Some brilliant fasting numbers. When did you start on low-cal real foods way of eating?
@mojo37 and @PenguinMum -- Hugs for the higher than desired blood sugars.
@nutribolt -- As you are not on any diabetes-related medication, extending the fast to 48 hours shouldn't be a problem. Your liver should help out with some glucose if blood sugars drop too low.

Hi Ziggy - :) about 10 weeks ago - it took nearly 3 weeks for my FBG to get down to the 5s and it still goes up if I eat after 4.30 or more than 800 calories a day. I also had to stop the Metformin (it's definitely not a good idea to take Metformin when on a low calorie diet).

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 today - i think the dull, grey miserable day with sleet I've got here is worse than either snow or rain. :meh:. Even the dogs don't want to go out in it!
Must be bad if the dog's don't want to go into it

Reactions: Ymdawd

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nine o'clock of a grey gloomy day

except for the 7.5 on my meter!
t113035.gif

notepadplusplus

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
4.7 :)

Apologies for going missing for a week! Had a ton of university deadlines, but that is all over now. Now I've just got to revise for the exams.

Fasting BGs were higher than my normal average (I hit 5.4 as the highest) the past week, but I put that down to burning the candle at both ends trying to meet deadlines

Have a good weekend!

Valsal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was 4.2 mmol/l @ 5.00am when I my five month old daughter decided the day had begun and at 8.00am 2 hours post breakfast (low-carb bread with poached egg) was 5.6 mmol/l
Hi. Just wondered if you could give details of low-carb bread. Thanks Salval

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
GREAT NEWS: My MD called me with my current blood work results and congratulated me on having a great HbA1c. She was quite impressed (so am I!) Darn, I forgot to ask her for it again so I could write it down..

HN2020

This morning 4.3
Just joined and this is a good idea as I’ve only really been working properly on getting the levels right for last few months so handy to see what’s a good level and other people’s experiences and so on. I’ve been pretty strict on the carbs for three months to get this under control, making my own bread and restricting intake of carb foods in general. I find it hard to eliminate carbs (definitely can’t do the keto!) but I’m finding if stick with the bread plus a small amount potato and whatever veg I’m ok. Morning now in 4s, was seeing 6s and often much higher only three months ago so have it under control.
it stays down now despite Christmas!

HN2020

Im usually around the 8 mark. Frustrating as I go to bed with much less, dawn phenom etc.. yawn. Im not even a carb monkey so its all very tedious, what are you folks eating that get 5/6?
Often higher readings for me in morning too, best levels seem to be 4-6 hours lost eating.
I was plus 7 round three months ago also (had readings round 9-11 at worst I measured - could have been worse as was neglecting it and not measuring). I’ve been Keeping to a low GI diet for last three months. No rice (unless maybe whole grain or one of the healthy grain alternatives, cauliflower rice is actually goodtoo) no pasta, small amount of potato (sweet potato is slightly better than normal). Lowest carb bread I can find (using a multi seed spelt mix at moment around 37g/100g to which I add nuts and seeds). No sugary anything basically. No processed foods, no breakfast cereals, juices, soups; certainly no refined products like white flour based or “low fat” stuff (all this a lot easier with COVID and working from home). If I am buying sauces, lazy food or whatever I check the carbs and sugars. Levels in morning now down round 4-5. And keeping steady even if break out. Had a Thai takeout with fried potatoes other night and next morning 5.3 which is acceptable I think. Once I got the levels steady I find the occasional bad choice doesn’t hurt too much. Good luck!