What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal and @DCUKMod you both make moo grob I think? Do you boil the pork for an hour before drying and air frying? And do you chill in the fridge overnight or fry straight after boiling and patting dry?

No. I did the first time, but have stopped. Just chop the pork belly into pieces, salt/oil and air fry.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@SlimLizzy I hope Errant’s tum settles down. That Echo Falls wine sounds terrible good for you insisting on the red.
Today I had airfried chicken drumsticks for lunch then a dollop of lazy mousse
Dinner was mixed grill - lamb chop, 1 chipolata small slice calves liver and some very pretty posh mushrooms fried in butter. About a tablespoon of Gk yog. View attachment 45937
Too right the Echo Falls so called wine was indeed terrible, tasted like watery Ribena. I cant think of anyone who would like it, except Mum, am not offering it to her. The so called wine will be bin job.

Reactions: DJC3

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Late posting or very early -- depending on how look at it.

@maglil55 -- Thanks for the welcome back and hugs for the erratic blood sugars, stress and gall bladder pain.
@DJC3 -- When will you get the results of your blood test? As to the rhubarb cheesecake -- yes, I adapted the recipe of a New York cheesecake (baked recipe) to make it low carb. The base is made of erythritol, butter and almond flour (melt erythritol in a pan, turn off heat, add butter, when melted add almond flour until the right consistency). The top is made of 5 eggs, 300g cream cheese, half a cup of erythritol (or less), lemon zest and vanilla. Just did baked the rhubarb in the oven before and added it to the mixture.
@mojo37 -- Keeping my fingers crossed for going low carb next year.
@Rachox -- Good luck with your blood test, I am sure your results will be great (as always).
@OzBlossom -- Hugs for the heat (don't know how you do it without air conditioning) and the awful fires last year. This must have been a nightmare.
@AlisaFrost -- Welcome to the thread.

Didn't post for a couple of day, so will just report on today's food ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with h/m mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A serving of baba ghanoush.

Dinner: Two thin slices of ribeye (cooked sous vide and fried), cauliflower risotto (added some canned truffle), sauerkraut with creme fraiche and caraway seeds. 20g of 88% chocolate. Some red wine. Still hungry, so had a large chunk of cheese later at night.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal and @DCUKMod you both make moo grob I think? Do you boil the pork for an hour before drying and air frying? And do you chill in the fridge overnight or fry straight after boiling and patting dry?

Depends - if I do the boiling part, I lob it in the IP, and hit the Meat setting, but if I do that, I tend to do them a batch, as slices, then freeze what isn't going to be consumed there and then, in individual-ish portions. Sometimes I'll chop and season the slices before freezing - chillie and oil, lemon pepper, garlic oil with salt, Tandoori - then ready to go when defrosted.

If I want something quick, then I'll just go straight from raw to AF.

It works either way. The Thais boil, then deep fry, but deep frying is never, ever going to be a feature in this house. (The vat of hot oil terrifies me)

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. I did the first time, but have stopped. Just chop the pork belly into pieces, salt/oil and air fry.

Thanks I had a feeling you didn’t bother with that bit. Good to know it still works ok.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Late posting or very early -- depending on how look at it.

@maglil55 -- Thanks for the welcome back and hugs for the erratic blood sugars, stress and gall bladder pain.
@DJC3 -- When will you get the results of your blood test? As to the rhubarb cheesecake -- yes, I adapted the recipe of a New York cheesecake (baked recipe) to make it low carb. The base is made of erythritol, butter and almond flour (melt erythritol in a pan, turn off heat, add butter, when melted add almond flour until the right consistency). The top is made of 5 eggs, 300g cream cheese, half a cup of erythritol (or less), lemon zest and vanilla. Just did baked the rhubarb in the oven before and added it to the mixture.
@mojo37 -- Keeping my fingers crossed for going low carb next year.
@Rachox -- Good luck with your blood test, I am sure your results will be great (as always).
@OzBlossom -- Hugs for the heat (don't know how you do it without air conditioning) and the awful fires last year. This must have been a nightmare.
@AlisaFrost -- Welcome to the thread.

Didn't post for a couple of day, so will just report on today's food ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with h/m mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A serving of baba ghanoush.

Dinner: Two thin slices of ribeye (cooked sous vide and fried), cauliflower risotto (added some canned truffle), sauerkraut with creme fraiche and caraway seeds. 20g of 88% chocolate. Some red wine. Still hungry, so had a large chunk of cheese later at night.

Thanks for the cheesecake recipe. I love NY cheesecake.
Blood results back ( thanks for asking) - HbA1c up to 39 which is disappointing ( 36 last time) but thankfully still non-D. I’m really happy with lipid panel though - all results and ratios in ‘ideal’ category so no irritating statin conversation to come.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends - if I do the boiling part, I lob it in the IP, and hit the Meat setting, but if I do that, I tend to do them a batch, as slices, then freeze what isn't going to be consumed there and then, in individual-ish portions. Sometimes I'll chop and season the slices before freezing - chillie and oil, lemon pepper, garlic oil with salt, Tandoori - then ready to go when defrosted.

If I want something quick, then I'll just go straight from raw to AF.

It works either way. The Thais boil, then deep fry, but deep frying is never, ever going to be a feature in this house. (The vat of hot oil terrifies me)

Thanks I did wonder about the IP for the first part - how long on neat setting? I wouldn’t ever consider deep frying either. Chip pans used to be far and away the commonest cause of house fires - apparently nowadays it’s scented candles and tea lights! ( people get ‘relaxed’ and nod off and forget them)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the cheesecake recipe. I love NY cheesecake.
Blood results back ( thanks for asking) - HbA1c up to 39 which is disappointing ( 36 last time) but thankfully still non-D. I’m really happy with lipid panel though - all results and ratios in ‘ideal’ category so no irritating statin conversation to come.
Sir Cliff must be booming out in C Towers - non D, lipids good. (I can't get vexed about Statins) Mmm cheesecake. Must be Fenland Cheesecake for me:angelic:. Unbaked, flaxseed, butter and stevia base with cream cheese and cream atop. Ah, memories.

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo37

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I did wonder about the IP for the first part - how long on neat setting? I wouldn’t ever consider deep frying either. Chip pans used to be far and away the commonest cause of house fires - apparently nowadays it’s scented candles and tea lights! ( people get ‘relaxed’ and nod off and forget them)

The default on the Meat button is 35 minutes, I think, but, bearing in mind there'll be more cooking "later" in the AF, I'd be happy with anything from 25-30. I just make it up as I go along. :cool:

MrB's late wife was very badly burned by hot fat, eons ago, so there is a totally united front on the "no, not never, ever vats of fat" stance in this hacienda.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast CWC and usual nut granola, this batch made without sweetener while in Norwich.
Lunch one slice toast with half an avocado and some smoked salmon. Three cherry tomatoes and few little gem lettuce leaves cup of tea.
Dinner hunters chicken without the BBQ sauce. Few potatoes and some cauliflower reheated and crisped in oven. Carrots and french beans, glass of wine.
Ate the low calorie jelly, with cream. Probably 20g carbs, more wine
Then later several spoonfuls of peanut butter. Maybe I should not watch Masterchef? It's definitely better to think about something other than food in the evening.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sir Cliff must be booming out in C Towers - non D, lipids good. (I can't get vexed about Statins) Mmm cheesecake. Must be Fenland Cheesecake for me:angelic:. Unbaked, flaxseed, butter and stevia base with cream cheese and cream atop. Ah, memories.

Thanks - I think. Not sure what Cliff has to do with it though - he’s not my cup of TWAM

Reactions: ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The default on the Meat button is 35 minutes, I think, but, bearing in mind there'll be more cooking "later" in the AF, I'd be happy with anything from 25-30. I just make it up as I go along. :cool:

MrB's late wife was very badly burned by hot fat, eons ago, so there is a totally united front on the "no, not never, ever vats of fat" stance in this hacienda.

Thanks, I approve of a vague recipe. One more question though - do you cook on the IP trivet with a cup of water underneath, or submerge in water?

Reactions: Antje77

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I approve of a vague recipe. One more question though - do you cook on the IP trivet with a cup of water underneath, or submerge in water?

I've done it both ways. Even in the short space of it, it does create some stock. If you don't fancy it, I bet Dennis would be around your ankles, expressing his interest.

(Yes, I do sort of make it up as I go along. :) )

Reactions: Antje77 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done it both ways. Even in the short space of it, it does create some stock. If you don't fancy it, I bet Dennis would be around your ankles, expressing his interest.

(Yes, I do sort of make it up as I go along. :) )

Great thanks for that. You’re right; I don’t think I’d fancy the stock but he would think it was his birthday and Christmas all in one. I’m off to put it on now. I’ll try half in the IP and half airfried from raw. See which we prefer. I did do the boil for an hour system once but I don’t think it added anything to the belly pork in terms of enjoyment really

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Done for today ( hopefully) so food as follows:
Lunch- ham and eggs with a slice of toasted SLC bread.
Dinner- air fried pork belly. I think I preferred the pre treated ( IP) bits. The fat seemed to render better, the meat was less chewy and the crackling was crispier. Followed by about 30g cheese and red wine ( it’s Friday after all)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Sir Cliff = Congratulations. Sorry about that. Also hugs for those awoken by Thunder Snow. B= TWAMIS: Dockey: CWCCS and dinky pkt cheddar cheesies: Lunch: Tea and BLT - SLC roll: EM: Super salmon and avo salad. Vits: Menu should have been a pleasure but my huge trust issues with this WOE mean I never feel relaxed about menus. After 5.5 yrs this should be getting easier not harder, If I were talking to someone else I would say that was an ok menu for carbs and cals but I never feel that way.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trying to get back on track.
@maglil55 am possbly further behind than you, last posts I read 30/11, missed a few days posting as well.
Breakfast. CWC, nut granola.
Late morning CWC
Lunch, one slice toast. Morrison's soy and linseed bread, 16g carbs, half a mashed avocado, small portion of smoked salmon, three cherry tomatoes and a little gem lettuce heart. Cup of tea.
2 cups Lemon tea in the afternoon.
Dinner, ready meal curry from Morrison's. About 12g carbs, cauliflower rice, carrots and French beans. Glass of echo falls summer berries rosé. 5%alcohol, is MrSlim hinting? It was disgustingly sweet and after attempting to modify flavour with diet tonic threw it away. Had glass of red instead.
Managed to resist temptation for late night snack.
Bedtime more lemon and ginger tea.
Errant is a bit off today, retired straight back to bed after breakfast and didn't emerge until late afternoon. He is wanting a lot of lap time and being very vocal about it. Am wondering if he has had reaction to flea treatment, or was the fishhead he had yesterday just too much food?
Can remember him having upset stomach after a very big meal once before. Perhaps he will be back to normal tomorrow.
You can get odd pictures in your head if your mind tells you Errant is Mr Slim!!. Thankfully I worked out Errant is Chat. Must have missed it in the 200 plus posts I was getting through.

Reactions: zauberflote

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Haven’t quite finished eating for the day - air fried pork belly is still air frying and so will be dinner. May give the pre-treating in the IP a go next time given your success @DJC3
Lunch was carnivore pizza topped with pepperoni and chorizo.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Sir Cliff = Congratulations. Sorry about that. Also hugs for those awoken by Thunder Snow. B= TWAMIS: Dockey: CWCCS and dinky pkt cheddar cheesies: Lunch: Tea and BLT - SLC roll: EM: Super salmon and avo salad. Vits: Menu should have been a pleasure but my huge trust issues with this WOE mean I never feel relaxed about menus. After 5.5 yrs this should be getting easier not harder, If I were talking to someone else I would say that was an ok menu for carbs and cals but I never feel that way.

Ah! Thank you. I was thinking mistletoe and wine!

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice looking mushrooms! Where from?
@DJC3 I've seen them in Supermarkets as well but usually in separate packs since I've bouth them for a cauliflower rice mushroom risotto. Tesco in their Finest range have an exotic mushroom mix and Morrison in The Best range do a woodland mushroom mix.

Reactions: DJC3