Tea with milk vs coffee with cream

Cfaria20

Hi I'm new here joined sunday and have really liked the support already from my 1st post
I'm just getting used to my new diet and changes
I dont know my numbers yet as awaiting the written report getting it today and doing my hba1c and full blood count tomorrow.

But I saw a post here where tea vs coffee was discussed and I cant find it now so since I'm doing my weekly shopping can some one explain the difference
I drink pg or black tea with Simi skimmed milk now no sugar since got diagnosed last week
but saw a post that said coffee with cream is better but what kind of cream?

Cfaria20

Thank you

Do you know why coffee with double cream is better than tea with milk?
I would have thought milk is healthier than double cream

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you

Fewer carbohydrates in cream more fat which provides more satiety (feeling fuller for longer).
You can of course have tea with cream too.

Edit to add you need a lot less cream too so even fewer carbs.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you

It's nothing to do with the coffee or tea but if you are restricting carbs then cream has less carbs than milk. In order to know if the difference is significant then you would need to know:
Your daily limit of carbs
Number of cups a day
How much milk in each cup
Whole milk has slightly less carbs than skimmed milk.
Personally I have coffee with semi-skimmed milk, I don't like tea and cream spoils the taste of coffee in my opinion.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm new here joined sunday and have really liked the support already from my 1st post
I dont know my numbers yet as awaiting the written report getting it today and doing my hba1c and full blood count tomorrow.

But I saw a post here where tea vs coffee was discussed and I cant find it now so since I'm doing my weekly shopping can some one explain the difference
I drink pg or black tea with Simi skimmed milk now no sugar since got diagnosed last week
Can i blow your mind and say you could also have coffee with butter? ;) (It's actually remarkably good!)

Reactions: hankjam

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Milk does dire things to my BG, it’s a bit of a personal kryptonite - everyone has different responses to things! Cream does not, for the reasons already stated.

Once you have a monitor you can check how things affect you personally.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Black coffee, green tea, tisanes no milk no cream, no problem.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I felt the same when I was first diagnosed. Having cream in coffee and tea instead of skimmed milk (in my case). I enjoy both with cream now.

You may find more info here, it's a great site and I find the visuals really help.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/dairy#carb-counts

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt the same when I was first diagnosed. Having cream in coffee and tea instead of skimmed milk (in my case). I enjoy both with cream now.

You may find more info here, it's a great site and I find the visuals really help.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/dairy#carb-counts
A very good article but I would point out that the graphic shows carbs per 100g for most dairy products but per cup (250g) for milk. Also note that this is a cup full of milk not a cup of tea that might only have 40g of milk with 2g of carbs.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I use coconut cream, only because I love coconut

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Gone black for both coffee and tea.
For the taste, rather than the small amount of carbs involved.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can also try lemon in your tea (It's nice cold in the summer) just don't buy the instant one. Normal tea & a squirt of jif. Or one of the plant "milks" just make sure that they're the unsweetened ones ( I know you can't milk and Almond !:D)

Cfaria20

Can i blow your mind and say you could also have coffee with butter? ;) (It's actually remarkably good!)

Lol never thought of that and only yesterday did I find out I can have butter in my diet again as going for a low carb high fat diet
Even though doc said no more butter or fats due to my high cholesterol level

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol never thought of that and only yesterday did I find out I can have butter in my diet again as going for a low carb high fat diet
Sounds like your doctor knows little about blood cholesterol then..

Cfaria20

Sounds like your doctor knows little about blood cholesterol then..
I just posted a post on my results and at the end I said how the doc was unhelpful
He told me I didnt need a meter as its reversible at the mo as I'm not on medication I should eat healthy but when I asked how he just said healthy food geez and that I should lose weight when 8 asked how much he wasnt sure just said to do bit of excersis and that should help and not lose too much in one go
I have 3 kids and I do few days of volunteering not sitting down so not like I'm sitting down on my ass all day clearly a bit of excersis not helping so need but more than that

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just posted a post on my results and at the end I said how the doc was unhelpful
He told me I didnt need a meter as its reversible at the mo as I'm not on medication I should eat healthy but when I asked how he just said healthy food geez and that I should lose weight when 8 asked how much he wasnt sure just said to do bit of excersis and that should help and not lose too much in one go
I have 3 kids and I do few days of volunteering not sitting down so not like I'm sitting down on my ass all day clearly a bit of excersis not helping so need but more than that

Unfortunately many of us found exactly the same thing. Doctors are pretty useless on the whole.
Do you happen to have the full lipid panel that he thought was bad?

Edit to add have replied on your other thread re cholesterol results.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I heard the same. Then I reversed my diabetes doing he exact opposite of what I was told, and my cholesterol's fine now too. (Thank heavens, because statins... Yikes).

Stick with this gang, we'll see you right. :)