It's all going wrong for me.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just back from the diabetes nurse. My diabetes has got much worse, my blood pressure is high, I have a UTI, blood in my urine and my cholesterol is be not good. I was doing well before I got covid. So a list of new meds to take, and a lot to take in. I am wibbling. I have managed for 9 years without meds, and now my body has thrown in the towel. I am now googling rimipril and empagliflozin, as these are the meds my DN recommends. I can't take Metformin. Anyone with experience of these please feel free to share your experiences.

Reactions: rads41

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just back from the diabetes nurse. My diabetes has got much worse, my blood pressure is high, I have a UTI, blood in my urine and my cholesterol is be not good. I was doing well before I got covid. So a list of new meds to take, and a lot to take in. I am wibbling. I have managed for 9 years without meds, and now my body has thrown in the towel. I am now googling rimipril and empagliflozin, as these are the meds my DN recommends. I can't take Metformin. Anyone with experience of these please feel free to share your experiences.

Oh dear Lucy, you have really had a wretched couple of years, but you battle on. I'm so sorry life continues to abuse you.

I don't have personal experience of either of those meds, but the "flozins" work by making you wee out sugar. One of the potential side-effects can be thrush. Personally, whilst there's a certain amount of chicken and egg involved, in your shoes I'd want any existing UTI gone before starting something designed to make my wee sweet.

I truly wish you a better roll of the dice sometime soon.

Reactions: Cloobie

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so sorry things are so rough again for you, @lucylocket61 .
No advice from me, just chipping in to send you a hug.

686187dc00268ccf0fdf9e6614f05ccb.jpg

Reactions: Robbity and MrsA2

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh bless you @lucylocket61 - I’m so sorry you are suffering but you have been through such a lot with Covid etc. Please don’t look at it as a fail because that’s the last thing it is but see it as tools to get you well, I know we all strive to be medication free but sometimes it just isn’t possible and we shouldn’t feel bad about that. Hopefully you will start to feel better soon and get back to your usual self.

be kind to yourself and do what it needs to get well, sending you hugs () and much love x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's rough but I hope you will remember where you're trying to get back to and if you need some pharma help in the meantime then so what? The emhpaglitflozin is going to help you pee out some sugar and is one of the better and pricier diabetes drugs with an occasional side effect of ...UTI so worth asking why they chose this one for you at this point. Ramipril is a standard blood pressure one which is pretty commonly prescribed. Haven't taken the former as a type 1 but do have to take a bp pill to help my kidneys and it does make me feel like a failure but then that's pretty irrational if I want to do some damage limitation!

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ramipril can give you a very annoying cough wh.ich, at this moment, is something you don't want.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry your struggling :(

Wait till youve been through ALL the meds, then you will really know failure lol

empagliflozin Is or at least was for me a terrific drug, really helped

Pril meds just lower bp, nothing to worry about there

Hope your get some answers/help/better soon, Best wishes

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ramipril can give you a very annoying cough wh.ich, at this moment, is something you don't want.
I agree, it did this to me and I asked to change to a different tablet.

Well you're braver than me. I haven't been for my HbA1c and other bloods as I fear the results will be bad.

Hugs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear of the problems you are facing @lucylocket61 x
I am on quite a few meds for various conditions, I often think with my nursing background I am less resistant to taking drugs, but I do research them first and don’t just blindly take them.
I take only Metformin for my diabetes so can’t help you with the empagliflozin but I am on Ramipril and have been for years without a problem (albeit a smaller dose than I was on). The commonest side effect that I know of is, as already mentioned is a cough.
I sincerely hope things will look up for you very soon x

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the fact you have a UTi shows how run down you still are, and will be having an effect on your sugars too.
None of this is your fault, and you will get better again. Patience and time
Can't be any help with the meds, sorry

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the fact you have a UTi shows how run down you still are, and will be having an effect on your sugars too.
None of this is your fault, and you will get better again. Patience and time
Can't be any help with the meds, sorry
I agree. My feeling is that things will improve again.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to read your news. I hope over the next couple of days and some deep breaths you'll be able to work your way through them.
I wish you well.

Cloobie

I’m sorry you’re going through all this. I’m on empagliflozin and it gave me a uti as it makes your kidneys filter the sugar into your urine to be passed out of the body. So if you’ve already got a uti then it will thrive on the sugar bacteria loves sugar. You may also get thrush. Hope you feel better soon

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hope you see improvement soon. Certainly a tough time for you. Good luck!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to send over a hug, as I can't help. Know you're being thought about warmly, and I hope you'll feel better soon.
Love,
Jo

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude

I took empagliflozin or jardiance is an easier word for me to pronounce. It made me feel a bit spaced out and dizzy but after a a week no side effects. I was exercising, it did lower my bloods quite rapidly and I did have some hypos. Keep monitoring and carry some sweets.. I have not taken ramipril so can’t advise on this.
Wishing you well x

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Dapagliflozin (Forxiga) for about 6 years, in combination with other drugs. My advise, drink, drink and drink some more. Touch wood I've not had thrush since I was put on it, but I drink between 3-5 litres a day. At 1st you think that you'll never be away from the loo, but your body gets used to being more hydrated and it does get better.