1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

It's all going wrong for me.

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by lucylocket61, Dec 9, 2020.

1. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am just back from the diabetes nurse. My diabetes has got much worse, my blood pressure is high, I have a UTI, blood in my urine and my cholesterol is be not good. I was doing well before I got covid. So a list of new meds to take, and a lot to take in. I am wibbling. I have managed for 9 years without meds, and now my body has thrown in the towel. I am now googling rimipril and empagliflozin, as these are the meds my DN recommends. I can't take Metformin. Anyone with experience of these please feel free to share your experiences.

• Hug Hug x 35
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Oh dear Lucy, you have really had a wretched couple of years, but you battle on. I'm so sorry life continues to abuse you.

I don't have personal experience of either of those meds, but the "flozins" work by making you wee out sugar. One of the potential side-effects can be thrush. Personally, whilst there's a certain amount of chicken and egg involved, in your shoes I'd want any existing UTI gone before starting something designed to make my wee sweet.

I truly wish you a better roll of the dice sometime soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm so sorry things are so rough again for you, @lucylocket61 .
    No advice from me, just chipping in to send you a hug.

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh bless you @lucylocket61 - I’m so sorry you are suffering but you have been through such a lot with Covid etc. Please don’t look at it as a fail because that’s the last thing it is but see it as tools to get you well, I know we all strive to be medication free but sometimes it just isn’t possible and we shouldn’t feel bad about that. Hopefully you will start to feel better soon and get back to your usual self.

be kind to yourself and do what it needs to get well, sending you hugs () and much love x

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's rough but I hope you will remember where you're trying to get back to and if you need some pharma help in the meantime then so what? The emhpaglitflozin is going to help you pee out some sugar and is one of the better and pricier diabetes drugs with an occasional side effect of ...UTI so worth asking why they chose this one for you at this point. Ramipril is a standard blood pressure one which is pretty commonly prescribed. Haven't taken the former as a type 1 but do have to take a bp pill to help my kidneys and it does make me feel like a failure but then that's pretty irrational if I want to do some damage limitation!

6. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Ramipril can give you a very annoying cough wh.ich, at this moment, is something you don't want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fenn

Fenn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry your struggling :(

Wait till youve been through ALL the meds, then you will really know failure lol

empagliflozin Is or at least was for me a terrific drug, really helped

Pril meds just lower bp, nothing to worry about there

Hope your get some answers/help/better soon, Best wishes

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I agree, it did this to me and I asked to change to a different tablet.

Well you're braver than me. I haven't been for my HbA1c and other bloods as I fear the results will be bad.

Hugs.

• Hug Hug x 5
  9. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear of the problems you are facing @lucylocket61 x
    I am on quite a few meds for various conditions, I often think with my nursing background I am less resistant to taking drugs, but I do research them first and don’t just blindly take them.
    I take only Metformin for my diabetes so can’t help you with the empagliflozin but I am on Ramipril and have been for years without a problem (albeit a smaller dose than I was on). The commonest side effect that I know of is, as already mentioned is a cough.
    I sincerely hope things will look up for you very soon x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

the fact you have a UTi shows how run down you still are, and will be having an effect on your sugars too.
    None of this is your fault, and you will get better again. Patience and time
    Can't be any help with the meds, sorry

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I agree. My feeling is that things will improve again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Sorry to read your news. I hope over the next couple of days and some deep breaths you'll be able to work your way through them.
    I wish you well.

13. Cloobie

Cloobie · Member

I’m sorry you’re going through all this. I’m on empagliflozin and it gave me a uti as it makes your kidneys filter the sugar into your urine to be passed out of the body. So if you’ve already got a uti then it will thrive on the sugar bacteria loves sugar. You may also get thrush. Hope you feel better soon

14. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

15. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@lucylocket61 so sorry to read all of this. Sending thoughts and best wishes.

16. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Hope you see improvement soon. Certainly a tough time for you. Good luck!

17. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Just wanted to send over a hug, as I can't help. Know you're being thought about warmly, and I hope you'll feel better soon.
    Love,
    Jo

18. Dudette1

Dudette1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I took empagliflozin or jardiance is an easier word for me to pronounce. It made me feel a bit spaced out and dizzy but after a a week no side effects. I was exercising, it did lower my bloods quite rapidly and I did have some hypos. Keep monitoring and carry some sweets.. I have not taken ramipril so can’t advise on this.
    Wishing you well x

19. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been on Dapagliflozin (Forxiga) for about 6 years, in combination with other drugs. My advise, drink, drink and drink some more. Touch wood I've not had thrush since I was put on it, but I drink between 3-5 litres a day. At 1st you think that you'll never be away from the loo, but your body gets used to being more hydrated and it does get better.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your support. It helps a lot.

Meanwhile, can someone point my to the picture of the fifty shades of diabetes please? I can't find it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook