My blood sugar 1 hour after pancakes was 218. Prediabetes?

Kpop7

So I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia about two years ago and I’ve had a lot of blood sugar spikes but nothing like this. I had a cup of black coffee and two larger sized pancakes. I wanted to treat myself. An hour after I felt shaky so I thought I was low. I took my blood sugar and it was 218. And hour after that(the two hour Mark) my blood sugar was 156. When I ate dinner that was a meat pie, broccoli and sweet potato my sugar was in the 90s, so what gives? Could it not be prediabetes or type 2 and could just be reactive hypoglycemia? I’ll get blood wrk done soon.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia about two years ago and I’ve had a lot of blood sugar spikes but nothing like this. I had a cup of black coffee and two larger sized pancakes. I wanted to treat myself. An hour after I felt shaky so I thought I was low. I took my blood sugar and it was 218. And hour after that(the two hour Mark) my blood sugar was 156. When I ate dinner that was a meat pie, broccoli and sweet potato my sugar was in the 90s, so what gives? Could it not be prediabetes or type 2 and could just be reactive hypoglycemia? I’ll get blood wrk done soon.

Hi how are feeling?
If I have my conversion right, I have before diagnosis and once at a doctors had numbers that high and maybe even higher.
If it is RH, then the figures are typical.
As a pancake is made of wheat flour, which is 100% carbs, then that is far too much.
The spike is caused by having very little insulin response.
What time gap between the two meals?

Because if it i is RH, I take after the meat pie (pastry) and sweet potato(starch) is foods again that I can't eat, that your blood glucose was in normal levels after two hours. Obviously depending on portion size and other ingredients your level was on the way back down. For example, you probably spiked between half hour and an hour then your insulin response took over and lowered your levels down to normal.
I go hypo between three hours and four hours depending on the amount of carbs and how much I have eaten.

Get your bloods done, I did get misdiagnosed with T2 before my true diagnosis.
And if you have eaten before the blood is taken that will distort the results, if you have RH, as your fasting levels and Hba1c levels should be in normal range.

Hope that helps.

Keep safe.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I want to treat myself, I have steak or salmon with mushrooms sweet pepper and whatever else is in the fridge, with sugar free trifle to follow and then coffee with cream.
Pancakes would really not figure.

Kpop7

Thank you for your response! I didn’t check before. I just checked an hour after eating becuase I actually thought I had low blood sugar. I felt Kindof sick so I was shocked by the number. I’m going to start testing more and I’m going to get my A1C done tomorrow! I’ll definitely keep y’all updated. Thank you for ur help!

Kpop7

K
Hi how are feeling?
If I have my conversion right, I have before diagnosis and once at a doctors had numbers that high and maybe even higher.
As a pancake is made of wheat flour, which is 100% carbs, then that is far too much.

Because if it i is RH, I take after the meat pie (pastry) and sweet potato(starch) is foods again that I can't eat, that your blood glucose was in normal levels after two hours. Obviously depending on portion size and other ingredients your level was on the way back down. For example, you probably spiked between half hour and an hour then your insulin response took over and lowered your levels down to normal.
I go hypo between three hours and four hours depending on the amount of carbs and how much I have eaten.

And if you have eaten before the blood is taken that will distort the results, if you have RH, as your fasting levels and Hba1c levels should be in normal range.

Hope that helps.

Keep safefeeling
Hi @Kpop7,

This guide has a section on diagnosing diabetes that gives an indication of what sugar levels to expect, my partner had a few high readings, he is not diabetic, and when I asked the doctor about it she told me non diabetic people can have the odd high that might be caused by stress, illness, or just an unusual response. There is a lot more protein, fat and fibre in the dinner you describe, which would reduce any spike in your blood sugar levels, as compared to just pancakes which are largely carbohydrate - you didn't mention if you had any toppings with them.
Did you test yourself before eating? It is good to know if the rise in sugar level is from the food you just ate, or if it was already high/low beforehand.

You could test more often to figure out how different foods affect you in different ways, and take note if you get high readings often, but it would be best to get/wait for your hba1c result - as that will tell if your sugars have averaged higher than normal over a longer period, although with reactive hypoglycemia keep in mind that the hba1c might look normal as the average between extreme highs and lows could fall within the normal range.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but hopefully your doctor and blood work will give you some answers :cat:

Thank you for your response! I didn’t check before. I just checked an hour after eating becuase I actually thought I had low blood sugar. I felt Kindof sick so I was shocked by the number. I’m going to start testing more and I’m going to get my A1C done tomorrow! I’ll definitely keep y’all updated. Thank you for ur help!

Reactions: Lamont D

Kpop7

Hi how are feeling?

Hope that helps.

Keep safe.
I ate dinner about 3 hours after having the pancakes, I had pancakes for lunch lol. Never again ha. I’m going to get my A1C done tomorrow and I’ll let you know what the numbers are. Thank you for your response, it’s helped a lot!

Kpop7

When I want to treat myself, I have steak or salmon with mushrooms sweet pepper and whatever else is in the fridge, with sugar free trifle to follow and then coffee with cream.
Ooooh that sounds good. I’ll keep that in mind.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I ate dinner about 3 hours after having the pancakes, I had pancakes for lunch lol. Never again ha. I’m going to get my A1C done tomorrow and I’ll let you know what the numbers are. Thank you for your response, it’s helped a lot!

If you need to gen up on testing, there is a sticky in the RH forum.
Yeah, let us know, get all your blood test results, there could be something that one of us spots, and give advice.

Keep safe.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Gammon, eggs, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, all fried! (My favourite!)

Kpop7

If you need to gen up on testing, there is a sticky in the RH forum.
Yeah, let us know, get all your blood test results, there could be something that one of us spots, and give advice.

Keep safe.
Probably a dumb question but what’s a sticky? Lol and I’m going to get my A1C test. Do you have any other tests that you recommend ?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It means that a thread has pinned, stuck at the top of a sub forum. If you click on forums at the top of the page and scroll down, to the Reactive Hypoglycaemia forum. Click on that and at the top of the page is sticky threads.

It means that a particular thread is real information on a condition.

Keep safe

Kpop7

It means that a thread has pinned, stuck at the top of a sub forum. If you click on forums at the top of the page and scroll down, to the Reactive Hypoglycaemia forum. Click on that and at the top of the page is sticky threads.

It means that a particular thread is real information on a condition.

Keep safe
Oh okay thank you , I found them!!

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Oh okay thank you , I found them!!
Hi Kpop7 !!!!!

I apologize but I from across pond,in the States are your results in mmol/L or mg/dL? You gave values of 218, 156, 90 and I am assuming mg/DL. If they were in mmol/L they would be off the chart. Based on what you already said your body was able to handle the carbs in the pancakes, but it took some time to get the blood sugar down. 156 is little high for checking 2 hours after a meal, it should be less than 140. Interestingly after dinner you were in the 90's which was perfect so body could handle what you ate.

This just my opinion, the 156 number might mean that you might have predisposition to be prediabetic. Your A1C result would be an excellent indicator. The good thing is that you are asking the question and give yourself a break you are learning how deal with things. When I first diagnosed I had spikes of over 200, with self testing for I was able to figure out what worked for me.

I am not saying you are prediabetic, but you might have the tendency to be one. The good news you are catching it early so you can make changes,

I hope this helps

Dave

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Kpop7 !!!!!

I apologize but I from across pond,in the States are your results in mmol/L or mg/dL? You gave values of 218, 156, 90 and I am assuming mg/DL. If they were in mmol/L they would be off the chart. Based on what you already said your body was able to handle the carbs in the pancakes, but it took some time to get the blood sugar down. 156 is little high for checking 2 hours after a meal, it should be less than 140. Interestingly after dinner you were in the 90's which was perfect so body could handle what you ate.

This just my opinion, the 156 number might mean that you might have predisposition to be prediabetic. Your A1C result would be an excellent indicator. The good thing is that you are asking the question and give yourself a break you are learning how deal with things. When I first diagnosed I had spikes of over 200, with self testing for I was able to figure out what worked for me.

I am not saying you are prediabetic, but you might have the tendency to be one. The good news you are catching it early so you can make changes,

I hope this helps

Dave

Hi Dave,
@Kpop7 has been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia, which in truth does mean she is pre diabetic by definition, if she continues being out of control and continues to still eat the foods that causes the big spikes then the insulin overshoot, which causes a quick drop.
Being RH also means that her fasting Hba1c levels are normal. Her fasting levels should be normal. Unless, she has insulin resistance and too much fat on her organs.
If she has had this condition for a while it is very similar to prediabetes, all the carbs will have an effect on her body, which would raise her levels to above normal.
In UK, they now recommend eating before blood panel tests. This will distort the results of that test, because if it was fasting it would be normal, but say like me she had porridge before the test, the reading would be high, I have had readings in the high teens after two hours. If they test after four hours, the results could be in below normal levels.

Without being conscious of the serious nature of having continuous hypos, the symptoms are no picnic, and are similar to prediabetes and T2.

Kpop7

Hi Kpop7 !!!!!

I hope this helps

Dave
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it! I got my A1C blood work done today and I’m waiting on the results. I will let you guys know what the results are!!

Kpop7

Hi Kpop7 !!!!!

I hope this helps

Dave
And my regulars were in mg/dl. I took my bloood sugar with a finger pricking device

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
And my regulars were in mg/dl. I took my bloood sugar with a finger pricking device

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!!!!!! I do agree with Lamont D watch the carbs

Kpop7

Hi Kpop7 !!!!!

I hope this helps

Dave
Hey sorry for the late response! Something got messed up with my results info but I found out my number today. My A1C is 5.4 so that’s good! It’s just the reactive hypoglycemia spiking me up so high, it’s so crazy! I’m glad I’m not prediabetic so that’s good !