More Air Fryer yum

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Notable air fryer successes over the last couple of weeks...

Swede fries - I zapped them in the microwave for a few mins first then coated in cajun seasoning and air fried for 10 mins - totally delicious. Not quite crisp, but good nonetheless. A little bit carby so caution is required wrt potion size, but didn’t shift my BG so that’s a thumbs up!

Roast beef - small joint, 30 mins on roast, perfect medium rare.

Tandoori chicken - marinade in yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic and ginger and tandoori spices, air fry til done, basting with extra mix half way through. And the basket was easy to clean afterwards, normally baked on yoghurt is a disaster!

Roast mediterranean veggies - only take about 15 mins instead of 45 in a regular oven. And you can put a bit of salmon on top for a complete meal.

Plain air fried chicken pieces - coat in oil with salt, pepper and garlic granules and cook til skin is crispy as...

Failures...

Roast belly pork. I was in a dilemma about this because I would normally roast at a lower temp for longer and I thought it would be tough if just air fried. So I followed some youtube vids for crispy pork and pressure cooked it first before blasting it in the air fryer, but it was rather dry by the time the skin was crisp. Maybe bump up the temp for less time? I dunno, work in progress.

But all in all I am very pleased with my Ninja Foodi Grill. It lives on a baking sheet on top of the hob so I can use the extractor fan, although it is not particularly smokey. Although the pork did small a bit greasy.

Reactions: xfieldok

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Nice, Makes me motivated to try more stuff in mine,

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And bacon. Let’s not forget perfect bacon, 8 mins in the air fryer.

I have recently discovered nitrite-free bacon, what a revelation that is!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Notable air fryer successes over the last couple of weeks...

Swede fries - I zapped them in the microwave for a few mins first then coated in cajun seasoning and air fried for 10 mins - totally delicious. Not quite crisp, but good nonetheless. A little bit carby so caution is required wrt potion size, but didn’t shift my BG so that’s a thumbs up!

Roast beef - small joint, 30 mins on roast, perfect medium rare.

Tandoori chicken - marinade in yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic and ginger and tandoori spices, air fry til done, basting with extra mix half way through. And the basket was easy to clean afterwards, normally baked on yoghurt is a disaster!

Roast mediterranean veggies - only take about 15 mins instead of 45 in a regular oven. And you can put a bit of salmon on top for a complete meal.

Plain air fried chicken pieces - coat in oil with salt, pepper and garlic granules and cook til skin is crispy as...

Failures...

Roast belly pork. I was in a dilemma about this because I would normally roast at a lower temp for longer and I thought it would be tough if just air fried. So I followed some youtube vids for crispy pork and pressure cooked it first before blasting it in the air fryer, but it was rather dry by the time the skin was crisp. Maybe bump up the temp for less time? I dunno, work in progress.

But all in all I am very pleased with my Ninja Foodi Grill. It lives on a baking sheet on top of the hob so I can use the extractor fan, although it is not particularly smokey. Although the pork did small a bit greasy.

If you like belle pork, try Moo Grob.

The recipe calls for boiling first. Well, I never boil, but sometimes lob it into IP, to cover off the boiling time. It's delicious, provided there's a bit of oil there to prevent drying out.

Any seasonings you like - chilli, lemon pepper, garlic and ginger, jerk or whatever. So simple, yet so tasty.

https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you like belle pork, try Moo Grob.

The recipe calls for boiling first. Well, I never boil, but sometimes lob it into IP, to cover off the boiling time. It's delicious, provided there's a bit of oil there to prevent drying out.

Any seasonings you like - chilli, lemon pepper, garlic and ginger, jerk or whatever. So simple, yet so tasty.

https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/
Sound pretty much like I did, except from the actual frying bit. Do you deep fry or air fry yours?

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aaaand last night, roast half leg of lamb, which cooked beautifully

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Courgette Fries. These have recently become a minor obsession. Slice into chips, coat in oil and seasonings to taste, and chuck in the air fryer alongside whatever protein you are cooking. For big things like chicken legs I put them in halfway through, when I turn the meat over. For salmon it all goes in together. They take about 9-11 mins depending on how done you like them.

They are not crisp, but the middle goes meltingly soft and the edges catch and go slightly crispy and chewy. I often cook them with the swede chips, they take the same amount of time from raw as the par-cooked swede does, and they help to reduce the over all carb load. And yummy. Did I mention that?

Roast lamb again tonight. Sooo delicious!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm working my way through a recipe book given to me at Christmas that has 550 airfryer recipes in. Trouble is its American and not very accurate so lots of converting and trial and error.
Some cauliflower and fish fish cakes ended up being fried in a pan as the mix was way too wet
Home made meatballs were fine, as was simple fish fillets just with butter and herbs.
Swede fires were OK.
Best of all is crispy kale. Shake chopped kale in a bag with olive oil and spices flavourings of choice, then just 4-6 minutes in the fryer, but split into several batches else doesn't crisp. Like "seaweed" served in Chinese restaurants.
Did pork scratchings today. Quicker and less messy than main oven. Sprinkle skin side with salt first. Kept doing 5 minutes until dry, in batches
I also use it to reheat supermarket cold chicken

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm working my way through a recipe book given to me at Christmas that has 550 airfryer recipes in. Trouble is its American and not very accurate so lots of converting and trial and error.
Some cauliflower and fish fish cakes ended up being fried in a pan as the mix was way too wet
Home made meatballs were fine, as was simple fish fillets just with butter and herbs.
Swede fires were OK.
Best of all is crispy kale. Shake chopped kale in a bag with olive oil and spices flavourings of choice, then just 4-6 minutes in the fryer, but split into several batches else doesn't crisp. Like "seaweed" served in Chinese restaurants.
Did pork scratchings today. Quicker and less messy than main oven. Sprinkle skin side with salt first. Kept doing 5 minutes until dry, in batches
I also use it to reheat supermarket cold chicken
Glad you are enjoying it! I use mine most days now. Something to bear in mind, you can use non-stick baking parchment or oiled tinfoil as you would in a regular oven, just keep the pieces small and only add it in once you add the food to weigh it down and stop it getting blown about and sucked into the heating element. I use a small piece of parchment when I cook salmon, otherwise it can stick like glue. Might help with those wet fish cakes?

Carol1957

Courgette Fries. These have recently become a minor obsession. Slice into chips, coat in oil and seasonings to taste, and chuck in the air fryer alongside whatever protein you are cooking. For big things like chicken legs I put them in halfway through, when I turn the meat over. For salmon it all goes in together. They take about 9-11 mins depending on how done you like them.

They are not crisp, but the middle goes meltingly soft and the edges catch and go slightly crispy and chewy. I often cook them with the swede chips, they take the same amount of time from raw as the par-cooked swede does, and they help to reduce the over all carb load. And yummy. Did I mention that?

Roast lamb again tonight. Sooo delicious!

I tossed the corvette fries in eggs the a Parmesan cheese - that made them crispy and tasted yummy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Coconut flour absorbs water if something is too soggy.
It can also be used to make pretend chips - 50gm of coconut flour, 2 tsp of xanthan gum, add hot water a little at a time to make a soft dough. Allow it to cool, flatten out and cut into French fry size strips then shallow fry at a gentle sizzle turning them over carefully so as not to break them.