Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Exercise will not fix that .... willpower stands a far better chance. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please help I’m type 2 and I can’t stop eating sweet stuff I think it’s cause I’m board I’m disable so I can’t exercise

I always think of my desire to keep my toes and eyes.. that may or may not be helpful but the consequences of eating stuff like that proved to me to be a powerful motivator.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I'm craving something sweet I usually have some strawberries , low sugar jelly pot or a grenade carb killa bar. These don't affect my blood sugars. Sugar is very addictive and the less you have the less you will crave it. It's tough for awhile but it gets easier.
I'm sure the odd treat won't cause too much damage so if you need to have those kind of things to keep you motivated then have them as occasional treats.

Reactions: Sad21+ and Rose22

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it specifically one kind of "sweet things" - chocolate, sweeties, cake, or everything? there are alternatives chocolate switch to 70% or above dark chocolate (takes a bit of getting used to, but you do eat much less) sweeties, there are "sugar free" versions and once you've over indulged a couple of times and suffered the upset tummy they cause you soon reduce the amounts you eat. Cakes & biscuits, try making your own "low carb" versions (just google "keto" & whatever it is you fancy and there's bound to be a recipe) You do eventually lose your taste for the sweet stuff this Christmas not one slice of Christmas Cake ,pudding or mince pie past my lips, not because I was denying myself, but because they're just to sweet for my palate now. Last year I had a very small piece of Christmas Cake, and less than 1/2 an hour later I had to clean my teeth to get rid of the "furry" feeling in my mouth. Cold turkey is the best, but I know from experience that it's not always possible and the sugar substitutes work like nicotine replacements when giving up smoking, not necessarily good for you, but better than the sugar/cigarettes

Reactions: Ctaylor1

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Don’t buy it, when you’re at the market buy nuts, pistachios, almonds, peanut butter , sunflower seeds. This might help change your habits

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find if I don't have sweet treats in the house I don't think about them.

Some low carb treats that I have are - sugar free jelly (sometimes with a little cream on top), 85% or 90% lindtt dark chocolate (if you are not used to dark chocolate you would be better starting off with 85% - I now find 90% fine after a while of having it) peanut butter or a lot of the time I put peanut butter on top of the chocolate, pork crackles (although not sweet but something to nibble on), greek yoghurt with a few raspberries on top, all kinds of nuts, a couple of strawberries & double cream. It is true that the less sugar you have the less you crave it - it probably took me a couple of weeks to get over not having sugary treats a few years back now. Good luck!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I certainly know how your feeling. I haven’t been able to give up the sweet stuff yet. I doubt I’ll be able to. My downfall is chocolate I have to eat it every day. Let me know if you find a cure!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I certainly know how your feeling. I haven’t been able to give up the sweet stuff yet. I doubt I’ll be able to. My downfall is chocolate I have to eat it every day. Let me know if you find a cure!
One cure is to go all out on savoury items and savoury cooking. I eat chocolate everyday, either Lidl 95% or Montezuma 100%. When you go full savoury your taste buds change, so for example 85% dark chocolate tastes too sweet and I can eat half a lemon or lime with no squinting. I honesty crave things like slow cooked Oxtail, dry rub ribs, Thai chicken, egg, strong cheese chaffles with lea and perrins sauce. Then there's the extra benefits on the diabetes side.....and there are plenty of low carb treats, but many find these go out the window after a while, as seconds of the main event take the place as the real treats.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
One cure is to go all out on savoury items and savoury cooking. I eat chocolate everyday, either Lidl 95% or Montezuma 100%. When you go full savoury your taste buds change, so for example 85% dark chocolate tastes too sweet and I can eat half a lemon or lime with no squinting. I honesty crave things like slow cooked Oxtail, dry rub ribs, Thai chicken, egg, strong cheese chaffles with lea and perrins sauce. Then there's the extra benefits on the diabetes side.....and there are plenty of low carb treats, but many find these go out the window after a while, as seconds of the main event take the place as the real treats.

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I only eat chocolate, biscuits and cake I’m not a great savoury eater I have about 1 savoury meal a week. I am waiting to see a psychologist but it’s taking a long time. There’s lots of food I don’t like, I cook for my sons that live at home still but when I’ve cooked it’s just put me off and I couldn’t eat it. Most nights I’m cooking two different meals for them so I’m not cooking a third just for me. I have bought food that I fancy at the time but when it comes to cook I don’t ever fancy it again. I’ve bought potatoes for a jacket potato I do enjoy them but it’ll just sit in the cupboard till it goes mouldy!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There has just been a big online event called Quit Sugar Summit. Over 60 speakers on how to quit including doctors, scientists, therpaists , and lots from those who have done it.
It was free to listen to at the time but I think packages to pay to download it all are still available and it also runs again in September.
Go.quitsugarsummit.com
It was very motivating and well worth listening to.

Similar events come up under 'low carb' too.

I was motivated to give up the bad stuff because I don't want to lose my eyesight, or have bits of me amputated.
This is a good video to watch

As diabetics its not our fault we got diabetes but it is down to us how much we let it ruin our lives.

Reactions: VashtiB

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I only eat chocolate, biscuits and cake I’m not a great savoury eater I have about 1 savoury meal a week. I am waiting to see a psychologist but it’s taking a long time. There’s lots of food I don’t like, I cook for my sons that live at home still but when I’ve cooked it’s just put me off and I couldn’t eat it. Most nights I’m cooking two different meals for them so I’m not cooking a third just for me. I have bought food that I fancy at the time but when it comes to cook I don’t ever fancy it again. I’ve bought potatoes for a jacket potato I do enjoy them but it’ll just sit in the cupboard till it goes mouldy!
The good news is that you know what needs addressing. Professionals will be able to root cause, and your results will flow from there. If you were a computer I would be able to take this further, as part of my job is dealing with those systems, which are less complex than people, wishing you all the best.

Reactions: oldgreymare

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's twice in one thread I've read "I didn't want to lose my eyesight", while yes that's all well and good it is rather upsetting like giving up sugar is a miracle cure to not developing eye problems, this isn't the case! I've had h**l with my eyes from less than a month into my Type 1 journey due to a plummet in hba1c and then despite good control and very little sugar seen as I developed an eating disorder in the form of an irrational fear of carbs I still developed proliferative retinopathy in both eyes less than 2 years in, people need to be aware it may reduce risks of these but it does not eradicate them

DarrenW29

BANNED
What I do and it does help the sweet tooth drink a cup of tea and a sugar free sweetener make it nice and sweet add is much is your sweet tooth can handle

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How about starting with 85% Dark Chocolate, Cake with no icing and limited sugar etc? You need to train yourself off sugar and more towards savoury. Sugar is addictive like tobacco and needs to be treated as such.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It’s difficult. It isn’t as easy as just don’t do it.
I and my body is very addicted to sugar. If chocolate is there I eat it. So there is nothing I’m not allowed in the house. I’m very lucky in that it’s just me.
I have the highlights hot chocolate. It’s not too seeet so you crave more but is chocolate enough that you have a nice taste. And low carb at 3.9 p 11g. it’s my life saviour. If I’m not hungry but I want to eat I’ll have that.

Beating-My-Betes

I and my body is very addicted to sugar. If chocolate is there I eat it.

Not to put you on the spot, but this is something that seems to come up everywhere (Not just on diabetes forums). If you are addicted to sugar, then why not just eat sugar? In addictions 'we' often go for the purest source, so why not just eat a teaspoon of sugar (rhetorical question)?

I have an empty (nom nom) bar of dark chocolate next to me. At 100g, it shows just over 500 calories. It contains 56 grams of sugar, which works out at just over 200 calories in sugar. That means that the remaining 300 calories are coming from fat. So perhaps chocolate is more accurately a fat-addict's treat.

And it's not just chocolate that is seen as carbs/sugar. Crisps, cheese-covered pizza, fish & chips (This seems to come up frequently, on this board), are all examples of foods that are seen as carb-centric, but are in fact ether fat-dominant or an almost even split between carbs and fat.

Therein lies the real danger.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's twice in one thread I've read "I didn't want to lose my eyesight", while yes that's all well and good it is rather upsetting like giving up sugar is a miracle cure to not developing eye problems, this isn't the case! I've had h**l with my eyes from less than a month into my Type 1 journey due to a plummet in hba1c and then despite good control and very little sugar seen as I developed an eating disorder in the form of an irrational fear of carbs I still developed proliferative retinopathy in both eyes less than 2 years in, people need to be aware it may reduce risks of these but it does not eradicate them
I think it’s meant more as a motivational tool to redirect eating patterns away from the sweet stuff that is causing a new type 2 problems. Not as a promise that eliminating sugar eliminates all potential issues. And to be fair it was the rapid change in bgl in an insulin user not just the removal of sugar from your diet that would appear to have caused your issues. (Which I hope are under control now) I’m not saying you don’t have a point about false promises just that the context wasn’t quite the same.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not to put you on the spot, but this is something that seems to come up everywhere (Not just on diabetes forums). If you are addicted to sugar, then why not just eat sugar? In addictions 'we' often go for the purest source, so why not just eat a teaspoon of sugar (rhetorical question)?

I have an empty (nom nom) bar of dark chocolate next to me. At 100g, it shows just over 500 calories. It contains 56 grams of sugar, which works out at just over 200 calories in sugar. That means that the remaining 300 calories are coming from fat. So perhaps chocolate is more accurately a fat-addict's treat.

And it's not just chocolate that is seen as carbs/sugar. Crisps, cheese-covered pizza, fish & chips (This seems to come up frequently, on this board), are all examples of foods that are seen as carb-centric, but are in fact ether fat-dominant or an almost even split between carbs and fat.

Therein lies the real danger.
How is fat the real danger to a diabetic - it doesn’t raise bgl. Carbs do.