Low Carb / Low Calorie and Newcastle Diet

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I liken the cholesterol found at blood vessel damage sites being the reason for reducing it to the argument that ambulances should be prevented from going on the roads - when there is a bad RTA there are ambulances, right there. So stopping ambulances will mean no more RTAs - obviously.....

Reactions: HSSS

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Low carb, low fat and low calorie is the only way I lose enough weight for reducing insulin. Insulin has only been tested on a balanced diet. Ok I've experimented for myself. Mixed insulin helped me lose weight as I pumped in too much insulin to get low bgs. Low bgs help me lose weight. ANY 7s or more I never lose. Hense why many have weight loss stalls. Bgs are adjusting to your bodies needs and can ask the liver to intervien. Luckily the liver adjusts all the time.
I was told yesterday that the healthy way to get rid of fatty liver is weight loss. No matter your weight. ND has evidence of reduced fat around organs and fatty liver reduction.
I had no fatty liver on no fruit and very low carb eating.
I asked if after losing fatty liver is weight loss easier? I was told no difference. Yet many self help liver health books promote a healthy liver helps with weight control.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
p.s. I don't know what happened with the original poster - @charlie000, but his/her specs at diagnosis were eerily close to mine. ie 5'7" and about 100kg, high HBA1c. Once I started going lower carb (and I started out on moderate carbs) I lost the 'extra' weight in a matter of several months, and have never gained it back.

About six months in from original diagnosis I came to understand the association of carbs and blood gluose dysregulation, so go as low as I can comfortably go, which changes from time to time, but I aim for 20-50g a day, on LCHF and Keto dietary regimes. (I do have two treat-eat days in a year, and do struggle with keeping those under control.)

In order for me to get my sick fat cells to function healthier again, ie with normal blood glucose regulation, I would need to be very lean, and I cannot do that and sustain it. I have tried! But it is too difficult. Alas.

So normal weighted and as fit as my working life allows, is where I am at. But definitely with unresolved type two diabetes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
p.s. I don't know what happened with the original poster - @charlie000, but his/her specs at diagnosis were eerily close to mine. ie 5'7" and about 100kg, high HBA1c. Once I started going lower carb (and I started out on moderate carbs) I lost the 'extra' weight in a matter of several months, and have never gained it back.

About six months in from original diagnosis I came to understand the association of carbs and blood gluose dysregulation, so go as low as I can comfortably go, which changes from time to time, but I aim for 20-50g a day, on LCHF and Keto dietary regimes. (I do have two treat-eat days in a year, and do struggle with keeping those under control.)

In order for me to get my sick fat cells to function healthier again, ie with normal blood glucose regulation, I would need to be very lean, and I cannot do that and sustain it. I have tried! But it is too difficult. Alas.

So normal weighted and as fit as my working life allows, is where I am at. But definitely with unresolved type two diabetes.
Looks like low carbing worked..
From their profile page
Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 09.17.08.png

Reactions: AloeSvea

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI

I have posted my body specification here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

In general:

I am OBESE. My weight is 98kg and my height is 5'7. I should be around 64-69kg. I want to lose 30kg.

I am pre diabetic and I would like to put it in to remission or reverse.

I would like to follow the Newcastle Diet. I have looked in to it, watched lectures and I have a good understanding. But why are some people saying Low Carb, High fat is better?

I am thinking of doing a low carb low calorie diet.

I would like to lose about 5 stones. I want to start exercise 2-3 weeks in to the diet.

Anyone help please?
This may answer your question.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6520897/

tinmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know he's a controversial character on here, but I've following the Fast 800 diet of Dr Michael Mosley. In just under 6 months I've gone from very obese to healthy weight and it's been a revelation.

I kept carbs under 20g per day, but otherwise followed the Fast 800 recipes.

I was on 2mg of Metformin each day, now I'm taking no medication and blood glucose is normal.

I now keep carbs low and practice time restricted eating. I find it very manageable and it has revolutionised my life. Maybe it's worth looking in to?

Reactions: MrsA2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know he's a controversial character on here, but I've following the Fast 800 diet of Dr Michael Mosley. In just under 6 months I've gone from very obese to healthy weight and it's been a revelation.

I kept carbs under 20g per day, but otherwise followed the Fast 800 recipes.

I was on 2mg of Metformin each day, now I'm taking no medication and blood glucose is normal.

I now keep carbs low and practice time restricted eating. I find it very manageable and it has revolutionised my life. Maybe it's worth looking in to?
Low carb and some intermittent fasting will likely be what has created your controlled bloods and weight loss.
The 800 bit is pretty much unnecessary (and may even be slightly harmful in terms of slowing metabolism etc).

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb and some intermittent fasting will likely be what has created your controlled bloods and weight loss.
The 800 bit is pretty much unnecessary (and may even be slightly harmful in terms of slowing metabolism etc).
Isn't fast 800 supposed to be limited to 12 weeks or so? I have read in many places daily calorie < 1200 is classed as too low for humans. Not something to stick to long term plus as you say, impacts on metabolic functions

tinmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't fast 800 supposed to be limited to 12 weeks or so? I have read in many places daily calorie < 1200 is classed as too low for humans. Not something to stick to long term plus as you say, impacts on metabolic functions

Yes, followed the 800 calories stage for 12 weeks, then did 5:2 for the rest of the time.

Like I said, it's controversial for some people, but it worked for me and I believe my new way of eating is sustainable for life.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, followed the 800 calories stage for 12 weeks, then did 5:2 for the rest of the time.

Like I said, it's controversial for some people, but it worked for me and I believe my new way of eating is sustainable for life.
I'm very much a proponent of finding the right way for yourself like you have done. I have significantly lowered my carbs but also do exercise and count calories, so not the totally recommended way perhaps and am far from perfect but it's worked for me. I hope it lasts as have plateaued a bit of late, I'd like to get down to 70kg but keep fluctuating around 74 to 75 since Christmas

But that's still good, I shouldn't be hard on myself

tinmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very much a proponent of finding the right way for yourself like you have done. I have significantly lowered my carbs but also do exercise and count calories, so not the totally recommended way perhaps and am far from perfect but it's worked for me. I hope it lasts as have plateaued a bit of late, I'd like to get down to 70kg but keep fluctuating around 74 to 75 since Christmas

But that's still good, I shouldn't be hard on myself

I believe we're all on a journey and if we can find a way that works, then that's great. If you're controlling things then that's great!

I've read many, many books on the subject and think that I've seen a way forward. After 30 years of yo-yo dieting and increasingly poor health, I really believe that I'm in control of things and doing the right things. :)