Cholesterol and Statins

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was confused every time with this statins topic, I`ve been taking it for 3 years and just recently refused to take it more, thanks for the thread
They will continue to insist you return to the fold. My medical notes are marked as Allergic Reaction, but I still get the annual reminder from the GP who wrote it up in the first place. It is a game we play.

I am currently letting my GP have the upper hand, There is one cholesterol drug that is older than and not in the same boat as statins, but does lower LDL a little bit. I tolerate it for a while, and it allows my GP to tick his checksheet, Since I make up my own medipacks, it is up to me as to whether I actually include them or not, Ideally only in the 2 weeks before the annual blood letting exercise.

The alternative pill is called Ezetimibe.

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for putting all of this information on this thread. Most years I get told I need to go on statins and every time I refuse. The last time, the practice nurse was good enough to do the risk questionnaire test thing and my risk was all of 2%!

aard

So I'm a 30% risk, very high trigs etc.

However I think that was caused by me giving up on low carb diet and gyms closed last year. I think I can improve without statins.

I'v been reading watching a lot about cholestral , statins etc, but nearly all of its been one sided i.e dont take them, cholestrial risks over exaggerated etc. Which has pretty much convinced me.

Hiwever I would like to hear from the other side.
Most of the presentations I see promoting statins seem to have very little stubstance.

Anyone away of any good presentations on the benefits backed by research?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately, the statins were invented during the Golden Age of Pharmaceuticals, where each company provided the funding, provided all the staff, decided how to run their trials, analysed the results, and wrote their reports and the Press Releases by themselves. The raw data is commercial secrets and has not had independent or peer review. The statistical methodology used has since been banned because it was shown to be open to bias and hidden manipulation, so the PETO method has been banned since 2006. ~But their prior work remains unchallenged.

amcfad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I just received my 2nd Hba1c and now have a reading of 37, starting at 71 in July down to 40 in October. The nurse has seriously pushed my buttons regarding taking Atorvastatin as my cholesterol was reading 6.5.

Heart disease and strokes were highlighted and I relented and agreed to take the prescription, thank @bulkbiker for this thread they are going in the bin after taking one 20mg.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I just received my 2nd Hba1c and now have a reading of 37, starting at 71 in July down to 40 in October. The nurse has seriously pushed my buttons regarding taking Atorvastatin as my cholesterol was reading 6.5.

Heart disease and strokes were highlighted and I relented and agreed to take the prescription, thank @bulkbiker for this thread they are going in the bin after taking one 20mg.
Did you get a full lipid panel?
If you want to share we could analyse.. providing you had fasted for long enough before the blood was taken.

As it always should be it's up to you what goes into your body.

amcfad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you get a full lipid panel?
If you want to share we could analyse.. providing you had fasted for long enough before the blood was taken.

As it always should be it's up to you what goes into your body.

Sorry i only got brief details from the receptionist, I am waiting on being given access to my records on https://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/#gsc.tab=0

I'm sure this will then give me all the details needed.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks like LDL "Bad" cholesterol isn't "bad" after all.. just like we've been saying for ages..

https://www.healtheuropa.eu/ldl-cholesterol-future-cardiovascular-events/92138/
Indeed. Bear in mind this is in the cohort of those already being diagnosed with CHD and being monitored for that set of conditions, and cannot be direcly read across to the general public. My local facility does not have access to a mass spectrometer lab instrument, so cannot do CERT2 testing. May be a while before this diagnostic becomes available in the UK for all. But, yes, this does strengthen the argument that LDL is not a forecaster for future CVD events.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
I've had a cholesterol check as I didn't have it when I was diagnosed in September. Just got the results back.
Total cholesterol = 5.3
Tri = 1.6
HDL = 1.4
LDL = 3.2

Some good news that my liver function test was normal, that's been higher for years.

Doctor prescribed me statins as it hasn't improved with diet and lifestyle so might be genetic. My last one was 5.2 in 2018 which was when I was non diabetic

Is there anything I can do to lower it naturally without taking statins? Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
I've had a cholesterol check as I didn't have it when I was diagnosed in September. Just got the results back.
Total cholesterol = 5.3
Tri = 1.6
HDL = 1.4
LDL = 3.2

Some good news that my liver function test was normal, that's been higher for years.

Doctor prescribed me statins as it hasn't improved with diet and lifestyle so might be genetic. My last one was 5.2 in 2018 which was when I was non diabetic

Is there anything I can do to lower it naturally without taking statins? Thanks
Yes in short
But first how long had you fasted before the blood was taken?
If your doctor thinks you have FH (familiar hypercholesterolaemia) with readings like that then your doctor is wayyyy out of date.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes in short
But first how long had you fasted before the blood was taken?
If your doctor thinks you have FH (familiar hypercholesterolaemia) with readings like that then your doctor is wayyyy out of date.
It was probably 12-13 hours fasting. I wasnt told to fast beforehand but I don't eat breakfast until abit later on

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was probably 12-13 hours fasting. I wasnt told to fast beforehand but I don't eat breakfast until abit later on
No food at all, no coffee beforehand?
Sorry for the interrogation but it can have an effect in the short term.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries, no not coffee just water. Thanks

In that case although your Trig/HDL ratio is slightly higher than ideal (yours is 1.14) I'd say it looks pretty good.
Are you losing weight at the moment?
Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 11.55.20.png

Edit to add you can read more about it here
https://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/triglyceride-hdl-ratio/

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In that case although your Trig/HDL ratio is slightly higher than ideal (yours is 1.14) I'd say it looks pretty good.
Are you losing weight at the moment?
View attachment 47247

Edit to add you can read more about it here
https://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/triglyceride-hdl-ratio/
Thanks for this, this is useful.
Yes I am losing weight, I've lost 2.5 stone so far (BMI is now 27) and would like to lose another 2 stone .
I think I'll see what the next test in 3 months shows.