1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cholesterol and Statins

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by bulkbiker, Oct 2, 2018.

1. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

You can read more about it here
    I'd certainly do that before taking any possibly nasty medication..

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

Can coffee with a drop of semi skimmed milk affect a blood test? My HBA1c had jumped big time last week and my triglycerides were also high again going from 6.7 to 7.3 since last July (even on these nasty pills!) although bizarrely my cholesterol had dropped from 5.6 to 5.0 since last time. I might also have eaten late as well the night before although I can't remember. When I got to the surgery she said she wasn't aware that I was down for my HBA1c test (which they don't ask you to fast for now) but she said she would do a general bloods instead which I am sure you do have to. Therefore wondering if that coffee and possible late eating made a difference? Also a tad worried now that to get the HBA1c down I am cutting right back on carbs and eating more fat but will that increase my cholesterol even more?

3. bulkbiker

"they" never have.. cholesterol testing is fasted not HbA1c. Full lipid panel shouldbe anyway.
    Coffee has been know to have an impact on triglyceride levels which is why water fasting for 12-14 hours before the blood is taken should always be recommended.

In short no.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

An HbA1c test represents an average blood glucose over the past 12 weeks, it is not affected by recent meals and does not require fasting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

Many thanks gents.

6. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Coffee made in cafetieres or by passing water directly through ground beans can raise cholesterol quite considerably. I only found this out recently. Filtering coffee removes the oils responsible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

An interesting study indeed, but sadly an (n=1) study so cannot infer a generalised message. The subject is also not available for follow-up (seemingly) so long-term efficacy cannot be established either. But the science in the study seems sound and is supported by other researchers. It is the fluffy big ones that are the friendly ones, and the small dense ones the peaky blinders,

• Like Like x 1
  9. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Good to know, thank you. I nearly always use a filter rather than a cafetière.
    In the back of my mind I knew there was a good reason for this but couldn’t remember what!

10. bulkbiker

In the short term I guess?
    Cholesterol levels can after all be pretty dynamic.

11. Dr Snoddy

I'm guessing in the short term as well. The research came after a discussion with a friend who has had cardiovascular issues and was prescribed statins amongst other drugs. He virtually became a different man as a result - could only walk 100m before the pain became agonising etc.
    He also drank 6-8 cups of coffee a day but discovered that his blood cholesterol levels dropped considerably when he stopped drinking coffee. Hence the research and at the moment I can't find the relevant papers. I have retained a clip from a doctor's column in a women's magazine that also says not to drink unfiltered coffee before a lipid panel as it can raise the outcome by as much as 10%.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bulkbiker

But depending on his lipid panel that might not have been a good thing..?

I too have read that for some people coffee can impact cholesterol tests but not all.

One example here
    https://cholesterolcode.com/guest-post-impact-of-coffee-on-triglycerides/

• Informative Informative x 4
  13. Dr Snoddy

He had very high LDL which is why he was prescribed statins in the first place. I don't know about his ratios. I just know that without the statins he has returned to his old, lovable self!
    Interesting read!

• Like Like x 3
  14. bulkbiker

Indeed..

And again LDL is not necessarily the "bad" character it is made out to be..

Statins do appear to be the devil though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bulkbiker

Definitely another for the library..

• Like Like x 1
  16. bulkbiker

Interesting and short glimpse at cholesterol and why more isn't "bad".

17. Lindyloo56

Lindyloo56 · Newbie

statins work by disrupting the Mevalonate pathway. They not only stop you producing cholesterol they stop you producing Thyroid hormones, sex hormones, CoQ10, D3 and Selenium.

• Like Like x 1
  18. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

please may I have some links to where you found this information?

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Lindyloo56

Lindyloo56 · Newbie

reduce carbs not saturated fats, saturated fats do not cause your insulin levels. If you reduce dietary fats your liver just makes more cholesterol. Every cell .com your body is lined with cholesterol. The brain makes its own because it is essential for repair and replacement of the neurons and synapses, without this you develop dementia. Almost 50% of the brain is made up of cholesterol.

20. Lindyloo56

Lindyloo56 · Newbie

hi it is in Dr Malcolm Kendrick's book The Great Cholesterol Con, I'm sure he also talks about it on YouTube too. There are lots of examples in Google, look up HMG-coA Reductase and Mevalonate pathway.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook