What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's very scary how quickly some people's circumstances can change from a life of success to complete devastation. Volunteering for the Samaritans and Shelter for many years opened my eyes to the unfairness and inadequacy of society and for some life. A good deed from you today meant so much for that poor soul, well done.
I worked, for a while, running aid convoys into refugee camps in South Sudan during their war for independence from Khartoum. You see the people on the TV - but when you get to talk to them, they are just the same as you or me - jobs, lives, family and then one day - nothing. And then the Ilyushin bombers are sent over and another camp has to be re-built.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good morning all. A fbs of 9.8 today! At least the sun is shining and the sky is blue. :happy: After two days at large in my garden armed with secateurs it finally looks neat and cared for again. Managed to fit in a couple of local walks too. Enjoy the good weather folks but stay safe too.:)

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all from Bath. Up with the lark, Arthur in tow.

A clear sunny morn with an FBG of 6.2mmol. Lots of life around already and police gearing up to stop covidiots who were everywhere especially along the way in Bristol where bedlum ensued! There was even a report of folks driving all the way into Cheddar Gorge with a Chinese takeaway Let's not blow this now!

Breakfast is a fritatta and smoked salmon...then gardening in our courtyard before waving goodbye to the old jalopy which needs cleaned and readied for the low loader to take her away before the new guy arrives tomorrow.

Wishing you all on this fine day a splendid one!

View attachment 47742
Beautiful photo @BRSBRI

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah Mountains and what a great range that is, sadly I'm missing mountains as well as the sea, so nice to see some more from yourself, I like that blue wash in the foreground and fading distant mountains.

On the book smell front I remember seeing an article a few years back of an organisation locking up books for safe keeping as they believe with digital age books would become a thing of the past. Interestingly before they put them into vaults they had a team who recorded how they looked, felt and smelt for future generations to experience what books were like.

We have a unique one off set of leatherbound Lord of The Rings covered for me by a bookbinder friend. Apparently hidden behind the leather covers are marks of his trade and clues to who bound them for future generations to find when they finally fall apart and need renovation. He used Victorian Lettering Tools for the titles and raised the leather so it looks like tree roots run through it, magical, my Grandchildren think they are full of spells and mystical. :)

View attachment 47743
So your ancient root pictures were also very apt today.
Those books are gorgeous @Muddy Cyclist

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher can you recall what was in your other hand when you came in with the keys? You probably already looked wherever you put that item.... but you never know.
I am trying to remember @SlimLizzy
It was a yellow flat cardboard box, smallish, with black writing on it. But I cannot remember what it was.
I will play that over in my mind today, me coming in from the car with that...and see if my brain tells me what I did...

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I worked, for a while, running aid convoys into refugee camps in South Sudan during their war for independence from Khartoum. You see the people on the TV - but when you get to talk to them, they are just the same as you or me - jobs, lives, family and then one day - nothing. And then the Ilyushin bombers are sent over and another camp has to be re-built.
Must have been terrible to see such suffering, all can change in the blink of an eye and then desperation. It's easy to forget that for most people in the world their wishes are the same as most of humanity, nourishment, warmth safety for family and friends and a little happiness.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen. Here in Tilehurst Towers me and me's have managed to catch on some of the posts from yesterday ( whoops a song is now rattling around my head...yesterday when all my troubles seemed so far etc etc etc ).

A 5.1 on the meter of misbehaving and naughtiness, time to get the steam driven electric sliderule out, backed up with teabag reading to calculate insulin dosage.

Today a full and frank discussion has taken place with regard to today's tasks and me and me's know where we stand......up to knees in brambles.

@BRSBRI , love the phrase covidiots .

Well fellow posters, painters and gamers have a great day, stay safe and stay away from crowds who are making most of the weather......covidiots.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. My fbg was 4.7 at 6.27 according to Swipey. I have no idea how I'm supposed to feel about that. Everything seems to be being bowled into the corridor of uncertainty lately. Front foot, back foot, leave? The manual is written in Sanskrit and there is no translator for the coach. However, boy does the coach drone on and all the others nod sagaciously. Everyone seems to be enjoying the sunshine and their gardens for which I am genuinely happy on your behalf. I missed that memo. A well cut lawn, a shed, a few raised veggie beds, fruit trees and above all sturdy fences is my ideal. Enjoy the day folks I'm off back into the wilderness. Far less cognitive dissonance there.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher can you recall what was in your other hand when you came in with the keys? You probably already looked wherever you put that item.... but you never know.
Thank you @SlimLizzy
That worked...
g10197.gif

Where were they?
Well I went through the motions of putting the keys on the table, and then putting the yellow box away.
Came back to the table.
Picked up the imaginary keys that were on the table, and my hand automatically went to put them in my jacket pocket (as if I were going out), because I hadn't yet taken that outdoors jacket off. And I went and hung the jacket up. So I looked in the right jacket pocket and there they were.

I recall I was thinking of a dozen things at once at that moment, and I can still remember them all!!!

Okay...Popeye needs a treat now...

Did you manage a video of your cat?

Reactions: mojo37

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For @Muddy Cyclist , @gennepher and anyone else missing out on beaches, a couple of images from my morning walk today. Please note, the two people exercising in the sea in the last photo are not mermaids.

upload_2021-2-28_12-37-43.jpeg

upload_2021-2-28_12-37-23.jpeg

upload_2021-2-28_12-36-58.jpeg

Reactions: mojo37

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Must have been terrible to see such suffering, all can change in the blink of an eye and then desperation. It's easy to forget that for most people in the world their wishes are the same as most of humanity, nourishment, warmth safety for family and friends and a little happiness.
You are a man of compassion - that must've been quite harrowing. Daughter#1 in final year of medical school has a hankering to do a tour with Medecins sans Frontieres, so she has the same genes as your good self...@dunelm

Hat off again!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A three hour Mountain Bike ride then my plan to sit in the garden scuppered by Mrs MC insisting things need tidying up, so worked In Garden until dusk. Still more points under my belt. :)

Finished the sea painting series thank goodness, I got proper fed up of them...

View attachment 47733
Well done. Fed up or not they were great to sea :)

lindisfel

Expert
For @Muddy Cyclist , @gennepher and anyone else missing out on beaches, a couple of images from my morning walk today. Please note, the two people exercising in the sea in the last photo are not mermaids.

View attachment 47746

View attachment 47745

View attachment 47744

There's is a hardy pair there laying down in the water waiting for the waves.
The North Sea was always too cold in summer for me.

The Vet who brings our food from Lidl on Thursdays is very fit, she wild swims in Derwentwater from Spring to Autumn for six months.They all swim out from the boats near the Theatre by the Lake, round two islands and back every time, she reckons its three kilometres and there are c.25 of them swimming.
They then eat fish and chips from the shop up from the Moot Hall.
I can speak from personal experience, the
fish and chips are very good and I can smell them now in my head.
D.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There's is a hardy pair there laying down in the water waiting for the waves.
The North Sea was always too cold in summer for me.

The Vet who brings our food from Lidl on Thursdays is very fit, she wild swims in Derwentwater from Spring to Autumn for six months.They all swim out from the boats near the Theatre by the Lake, round two islands and back every time, she reckons its three kilometres and there are c.25 of them swimming.
They then eat fish and chips from the shop up from the Moot Hall.
I can speak from personal experience, the
fish and chips are very good and I can smell them now in my head.
D.
[/QUOTE]
I can see their route from the top of Cat Bells and then walk round and eat fish and chips :). What a hardy lot - and yes, them must be very fit. I can remember my Outward Bound Course at Ullswater - having to jump into the lake every morning an practicing canoe drills - blooming cold those lakes. Oh! Now I need fish and chips - is it The Old Keswickian?

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
The end of an era at the house of BRS...

The old jalopy has gone. I know and has been pointed out by Mrs BRS it's only a piece of metal on 4 wheels. But it's the history - you know, taking daughters off to start their life journeys - Glasgow Uni, RAF Cranwell, hammering down the autoroutes to Montpellier, picking up Arthur the poodle...memories. 5 years of them. Tinge of sepia...

So, a new dawn tomorrow when I become a boy racer after the 4WD era. Baseball cap back to front all ready and a tattoo transfer for my forearms...;)

@muddycyclist on another note: the guy I bought the sandwich for yesterday, a homeless soul - has been found a shelter place and is at least safe for now as they wrap support around him - a fluke I'd say knowing what I know about the pressures on the system. Off the street - I hope permanently.

Happy Sunday all.... :)

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
I received a text today to offer me the coronavirus vaccination not tomorrow but Tuesday am with a choice of times despite not being over 60...actually I'm 9 years younger than that ...and there are reports SW England is now vaccinating over 50s...

I will of course take the jab and report back any side effects afterwards here...

After an on the hoof lunch of almonds and a Greek yoghurt, my bloods popped back at 5.9...I thought they'd be lower...T2D is a real mystery ...sigh....

Dinner tonight is homemade burgers on the BBQ, no buns, side salad and roasted asparagus. I might be a devil and chuck some cheddar cheese on them ;)