Long Covid. A support thread for those who take a while to recover from Covid-19

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also had a mysterious viral infection in March, almost certainly brought it home from school (am a teacher), never got tested, got told it can't possibly be covid since I only had some contact with a pupil who'd been skiing in Italy a few miles north of the hotspots back then, but then again been asked not to take two-year old daugter to hospital (she'd been sick three times a night and refusing to drink or eat for a week and I strugled to wake her up during the day) unless she passes out because it probably is covid. Been struggling with nausea, headaches, tingling in one foot, about once every two weeks, blood glucose all over the place even on very-low-carb, just to get told by GP that it is stress. This time last year I had three toddlers in nappies and a full-time job, now two are at nursery and finally potty-trained, so surely I should be feeling better, not this much worse? Have given up on trying to be understood, taking metformin now and counting days that I'm feeling fine, hoping for a new record.
Aaaaarrrrggghhh! I wanted to scream when I read your post, but my post covid throat still won't allow it. Why oh why did they think we could only catch Covid-19 from people who had been to Italy? I was told the same thing. Crazy. We now know it was in this country before March, so we could have caught it from anyone.

Yes I echo what Lucy says about testing and making notes. I am trying to do the same.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also had a mysterious viral infection in March, almost certainly brought it home from school (am a teacher), never got tested, got told it can't possibly be covid since I only had some contact with a pupil who'd been skiing in Italy a few miles north of the hotspots back then, but then again been asked not to take two-year old daugter to hospital (she'd been sick three times a night and refusing to drink or eat for a week and I strugled to wake her up during the day) unless she passes out because it probably is covid. Been struggling with nausea, headaches, tingling in one foot, about once every two weeks, blood glucose all over the place even on very-low-carb, just to get told by GP that it is stress. This time last year I had three toddlers in nappies and a full-time job, now two are at nursery and finally potty-trained, so surely I should be feeling better, not this much worse? Have given up on trying to be understood, taking metformin now and counting days that I'm feeling fine, hoping for a new record.
I meant to say Rest more than you need to, not test : )

more hugs.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Aaaaarrrrggghhh! I wanted to scream when I read your post, but my post covid throat still won't allow it. Why oh why did they think we could only catch Covid-19 from people who had been to Italy? I was told the same thing. Crazy. We now know it was in this country before March, so we could have caught it from anyone.

Yes I echo what Lucy says about testing and making notes. I am trying to do the same.

As you know, my club had people going to and from China, mainly teachers and coaches, we were told no one was going to be allowed to travel there because it was near the centre of the virus. This was late October. The plan was to go last December as well, but we were advised that everyone from UK who was part of the club would return in January. The fact that this was happening in late October, early December, means that a lot of people who were not Chinese could have had covid and brought it back with them, because of the reasons that they could be asymptomatic and show no signs of the virus.
There was also supposed to be a visit in January from China that was cancelled.
There was a group of about thirty Chinese coaches who visited our training ground for two weeks in June that year, just about the time that it was getting looked at by the Chinese scientific community.
You cannot tell me that there wasn't someone from Europe or the UK that didn't have covid at the turn of the new year into January.
I was continually searching for information about covid and the little I did find was disturbing.
If someone in government didn't realise how bad this was becoming at the start of the new year, it is a disaster waiting to happen and it did and the government response was late and tragic. Again and again!

Christmas? Humbug!

Stay safe, and best wishes.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lamont D I started to get very concerned about coronavirus in early January. On the local news were some Chinese people from a local Christian Church who had just returned to UK after the Christmas holidays. They were upset as folk were crossing the road to avoid them and felt they posed no threat to anyone. Then the comment came that they were advising their elderly and vulnerable not to come to church.... From then on I read everything I could find about what was happening in China and by mid January said we should lock down now and quarantine anyone coming into the country. Most folk I expressed this to said it would damage the economy too much. Now we can see what happens when money comes first.

I still feel the shock inside when I remember how I was told I 'need do nothing, no need to self isolate' as I hadn't been to any of the Covid hotspots. Of course I did self isolate, even living in separate rooms from my hubby, I would have been extremely irresponsible if I hadn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: CFitzgerald

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Lamont D I started to get very concerned about coronavirus in early January. On the local news were some Chinese people from a local Christian Church who had just returned to UK after the Christmas holidays. They were upset as folk were crossing the road to avoid them and felt they posed no threat to anyone. Then the comment came that they were advising their elderly and vulnerable not to come to church.... From then on I read everything I could find about what was happening in China and by mid January said we should lock down now and quarantine anyone coming into the country. Most folk I expressed this to said it would damage the economy too much. Now we can see what happens when money comes first.

I still feel the shock inside when I remember how was told I 'need do nothing, no need to self isolate' as I hadn't been to any of the Covid hotspots. Of course I did self isolate, even living in separate rooms from my hubby, I would have been extremely irresponsible if I hadn't.

I think this government's record to this has been unbelievably blase, I too believed we should have been in a lockdown in January, wearing masks as the local Chinese and east Asian were doing. In some respects the farce that the majority of decisions were far too late.
I could go on but because the way the country is run, that it was almost typical that the party in power, Tories, Labour, Lib dems would have struggled to get through this without making mistakes. Except that they wouldn't have made the city of London an exception to the rule. Privilege still rules, and I fear that because of this, that as usual the working and middle classes will be paying for this for years to come, regardless of who is in power.

The whole thing was ten years in the making, austerity and cuts to public services left this country open to shortages, PPE, ventilators, nurses, doctors and everything needed to cope with this sort of pandemic. We were at optimum capacity in the last five years. We have built nightingale hospitals, but we haven't the trained staff for them. The number of vacancies is somewhere in the region of thirty thousands.

It is a good job that we haven't had a bad snowfall yet in most parts of the country!
I say this, because this is how we are prepared for any emergency, it is typically talked about how we struggle to prevent the country from stopping by road, rail, airports, were some weather conditions disrupt the whole country.
There are so many examples of this, and I think we are immune to it in so many ways.
It is only when tragedy strikes that anything is talked about but they are still so reluctant to do very little about it!
The cladding on high rise buildings for example.

Do hope you have a decent Christmas and treat yourself, be kind to yourself and stay safe. I have a feeling that our tier two areas, like ours will be in total lockdown after boxing day and if that happens I fear the football will be affected again!

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chewing (specifically the beings that I birthed)
I have been mulling over whether to start this thread for weeks. Much is said here about the risks of dying of Covid being quite low, but not a lot has been said about life after Covid. After receiving lovely support from a poster on another thread yesterday I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and start a thread for those of us who haven't recovered quickly from the illness.

I had Covid-19 back in March and am still struggling. After the 35 days of coughing passed, I declared I was getting over it. How wrong was I?! I still have fatigue, breathlessness, tired limbs, muscle pains, joint pains and my brain just doesn't work as well as it used to. As for BGs, they aren't great either, but I admit I haven't had the energy to test regularly or do anything about them. I was a well controlled T2 before having the virus. I suspect that post Covid my T2 is always going to be a lot harder to control.

Anyhow, enough about me, over to you. How are you? And how are you coping? Let's share our experiences here and maybe we can help one another. :)

Edit: I have put this thread in the T2 section as I am T2 myself, but please feel free to use this thread if you have another type of diabetes alongside Long Covid, I never meant it to be exclusively for T2s. We're in this together. :)
Thank you Zand. As I have mentioned before, I am struggling with my symptoms. and I've not yet had a diagnosis of Long Covid.

I would like to ask if anyone else has suffered with these symptoms and have been struggling with their sugar levels, particularly T1 diabetics. My sugars, currently are horrendous. I am taking double the doses of insulin I would normally have. and yet my sugars are still climbing. Does anyone else have the same experience as me?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Did we have covid 19? Maybe, who knows? Diabetes nurse reckons yes, GP won't express an opinion. How could we have had it? There was "none on the Island", despite 2 people being hospitalised later in March, so they must have got it from somewhere. I think it came to us from the local primary school which my granddaughter attends. She was feverish and nauseous one evening and about 3 days later, we were sick.

Symptoms indicating that my lungs are in trouble have persisted since March 2020 but never had a test for antibodies, so still don't know if what we had was covid 19. However, my GP is finally trying to figure out what actually is wrong so sent me for a chest X-ray last Friday. There was no sign of anything on my lungs. Could the virus have caused chest problems without scarring? What is noticeable is that I am retaining fluid and, therefore, gaining weight (8lb last week and another 8 lb this week). Actually had a GP appointment yesterday - quite a thorough examination - and was told that the fluid that was on my lungs, doesn't appear to be there at present, but my breathing is still difficult. The fluid now appears to be mostly in my legs and abdomen. He also told me that the doctors in the practice are puzzled by what is happening. My BG is consistently higher than before March despite much higher doses of insulin. Kidneys currently causing concern and liver is a bit dodgy too. More blood tests and scans in the offing.

Was this covid, or something quite different? Is it something related to my age (75)? I no longer have any idea.

Reactions: CFitzgerald

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a consultation with my Medical Clinic this afternoon. The consultant reckons my continuing problems are long-covid. I'm not surprised. Treatment - mostly just try to improve my level of fitness and be patient. He acknowledged that doctors don't know all that much about long-covid or what the prognosis is likely to be so it's a matter of being patient and waiting to see if it goes away. The main thing is, I have been thoroughly checked over and for the most part, everything is working pretty well as it should - heart, kidneys, lungs, digestion...the only thing they found was ovarian cysts, which are doing no harm anyway. Brain is another matter, of course. It definitely doesn't work as well as it used to but they didn't check that!

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a consultation with my Medical Clinic this afternoon. The consultant reckons my continuing problems are long-covid. I'm not surprised. Treatment - mostly just try to improve my level of fitness and be patient. He acknowledged that doctors don't know all that much about long-covid or what the prognosis is likely to be so it's a matter of being patient and waiting to see if it goes away. The main thing is, I have been thoroughly checked over and for the most part, everything is working pretty well as it should - heart, kidneys, lungs, digestion...the only thing they found was ovarian cysts, which are doing no harm anyway. Brain is another matter, of course. It definitely doesn't work as well as it used to but they didn't check that!
My brain definitely isn't what it was pre-covid either.
Did they suggest how to improve the level of fitness? It's hard when symptoms are intermittent.
11 months on I think my long covid may have gone, I hope so anyway.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My brain definitely isn't what it was pre-covid either.
Did they suggest how to improve the level of fitness? It's hard when symptoms are intermittent.
11 months on I think my long covid may have gone, I hope so anyway.

I do hope, for your sake, that the long-covid has gone for you. With diabetes we all have enough to deal with, never mind this sort of post viral thing. Just occurred to me - is this something like ME? The consultant only suggested seeing if there is a better insulin which might improve my diabetic control (I was thinking that anyway) which might, in turn lead to less insulin, less weight, less fatigue and so, more ability to exercise. Other than that, just wait and hope for time to help things along.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if anyone is posting to, or reading, this part of the forum but if you are - are your symptoms improving yet? Mine aren't. I'm wondering if I should try to get another telephone appointment with the GP to see if they have any ideas. I'm wondering if there are any exercises that I could do to try to improve muscle tone and stop my shoulders feeling like jelly when I stand up. I'm not expecting the aches and pains to go away yet, but this weakness is getting hard to bear. Can't decide - and that's another issue with this thing - my thought processes seem to have taken a long holiday. My grand daughter (8) and I are in the same "bubble" and she visits me quite often. She's due to come this afternoon on her way home from school and, for the first time, I'm not looking forward to her visit - we usually play a ball game or do some sort of project but today I just don't have the energy. Really, I just want to go to sleep and don't dare to sit in a comfortable chair, because that's what will happen.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel that perhaps long covid left me after 10 months. My muscles have taken a battering though and I had chiropractic treatment on a trapped nerve 2 weeks ago.

I look after my 2 year old grandson one day a week and it is a struggle at times. He has become quite good at understanding that sometimes granny can't play for very long. We cuddle up with a dvd and do puzzles if that's all I can manage.

I think it's worth speaking to your GP , they may suggest good exercises which could help.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
She does understand and is very sympathetic and wants to take care of me. But she has so much energy, just thinking of her visit yesterday tired me out. Much improved today though but she spent more time looking for daft cartoons on my tablet anyway. So I survived today's visit pretty well. This covid thing seem to be like that - can't tell from one day to the next how I'll be feeling. BG is still all over the place, which might be another covid effect, or might just be that my insulin needs checking out. It's another month and a half before I can get an appointment at our diabetes centre.

Reactions: lulu2554

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She does understand and is very sympathetic and wants to take care of me. But she has so much energy, just thinking of her visit yesterday tired me out. Much improved today though but she spent more time looking for daft cartoons on my tablet anyway. So I survived today's visit pretty well. This covid thing seem to be like that - can't tell from one day to the next how I'll be feeling. BG is still all over the place, which might be another covid effect, or might just be that my insulin needs checking out. It's another month and a half before I can get an appointment at our diabetes centre.
Yes that is the problem with long covid, you never know how you ar going to feel at any given day. It isn't like flu at all where you generally get a little better day by day. My BGs are still not back to where they were and I don't use insulin. They are more stable than they were and then the Pfizer jab seemed to knock then back into disorder again.

Andie79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I came down with Covid 2 days after Christmas, and by the 6th was admitted to hospital with Covid pneumonia. I also found out on admission that I was type 2 diabetic. I came round after 3 days in critical care connected to an insulin pump with potassium. The dexamethasone played havoc with my levels and was still getting extra shots throughout the day.
Before discharge I was swapped over to an Humlim M3 pen (and a crash course in how to use it just before discharge). Which I think is working ok.. been trying to keep my carb intake down and my average readings are 5.4.
I was supported by the hospital team for a few weeks and then discharged back to my practice who I’ve heard nothing from.
I do find I’m still suffering from fatigue.. and a few weeks ago from hair loss. I’ve tried booking an appointment to speak to my gp.. but can’t get through so drove round yesterday and got told no appointments are available (I’ve booked an appointment on a gp app to discuss)..
any ideas on when the diabetes clinic will get in touch after you’ve been newly diagnosed?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
any ideas on when the diabetes clinic will get in touch after you’ve been newly diagnosed?

Some people have found that this has taken a while during the pandemic. I’ll tag @MrsA2 as I think she has some experience of this.

Reactions: Andie79