Newly Diagnosed Type 2 Low BMI & Confused

KayLS

Advice please folks. Found out a week ago I have type 2 diabetes, found in a blood test (I’d been feeling really tired all time) beginning of March. As my doctor didn’t believe results had another blood test which confirmed it.

I’m 45, active (walk 6-10km a day) non smoker/drinker with a very low BMI (long story but had cancer as a baby so never been able to put weight on). I think I eat quite healthily (no sugary/processed or fried foods and I don’t have a sweet tooth), my husband is Italian so maybe I eat too much pasta?!

Doctor not sure reason I have developed Type 2 days it may be a late effect of cancer treatments I had or may just have happened for no reason. He has requested a pancreas scan and started me on Sukkarto to take 2 a day. He gave no advice re diet but I am due to see the nurse in a few days time.

A lot of literature I’ve read in the past week gives great advice but I’m very concerned about changing my diet and losing weight. As mentioned above I really do struggle to maintain my weight. Any advice for a very confused newbie much appreciated x

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to read of your diagnosis, @KayLS
Do you know if there is a reason why Type 1 has not been considered?
Unfortunately, it is too common for GPs to assume that Type 1 is a childhood disaease whereas more than half of new Type 1 diagnosis are in adults.

It could be something worth discussing considering our low BMI.
And you will be able to continue to eat pasta.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @KayLS, what were your results on the blood test (hb1ac???). I was 53 when I had one of those well women checks which came back as 'pre diabetic'. Like you I did not fit the so called (often misleading & ignorant) profile of a type 2 other than by age. Sent off with 'watch how you go'. 3 years later I went to the GP with diabetes symptoms, to cut a long story short, they tested my levels on a finger prick at the surgery, (high) and tested for ketones (high). I was whisked off to hospital on the verge of DKA.

At hospital they um'd and ah'd as to what type I was, age said 'type 2', but presentation did not fit with that (slim, fit, and all the rest just like you). I left hospital on insulin and the very first dose sent me into a hypo (what fun!!).

They did a C Peptide test and an antibody test that showed I was actually type 1.

I would find out exactly how they have come to diagnose you as type 2, did you have a C Peptide (which measures how much of your own insulin you are producing) and an antibody test? It is very important because if you ARE type 1/LADA, then you need to know before embarking on any dietary changes.

x

Dark Horse

If you buy a glucose meter you can use it as an early warning for dangerously high glucose levels which could happen if you are actually Type 1.

If you are Type 2, then the glucose meter can be useful to monitor the effects of diet and exercise. The fact that you have just been put on metformin (Sukkarto is a brand name) rather than a combination of drugs suggests that your HbA1c is not frighteningly high which means that you have ample time to think about how to manage it.

Reactions: EllieM and KayLS

KayLS

Sorry to read of your diagnosis, @KayLS
Do you know if there is a reason why Type 1 has not been considered?
Unfortunately, it is too common for GPs to assume that Type 1 is a childhood disaease whereas more than half of new Type 1 diagnosis are in adults.

It could be something worth discussing considering our low BMI.
And you will be able to continue to eat pasta.

Thank you so much for the advice. The doctor just said Type 1 is seen in younger people but didn’t go into anymore detail. My head is in a bit of a spin at the moment but I’m going to write all this down so I can ask questions when I see the nurse on Monday.

KayLS

Hi @KayLS, what were your results on the blood test (hb1ac???). I was 53 when I had one of those well women checks which came back as 'pre diabetic'. Like you I did not fit the so called (often misleading & ignorant) profile of a type 2 other than by age. Sent off with 'watch how you go'. 3 years later I went to the GP with diabetes symptoms, to cut a long story short, they tested my levels on a finger prick at the surgery, (high) and tested for ketones (high). I was whisked off to hospital on the verge of DKA.

At hospital they um'd and ah'd as to what type I was, age said 'type 2', but presentation did not fit with that (slim, fit, and all the rest just like you). I left hospital on insulin and the very first dose sent me into a hypo (what fun!!).

They did a C Peptide test and an antibody test that showed I was actually type 1.

I would find out exactly how they have come to diagnose you as type 2, did you have a C Peptide (which measures how much of your own insulin you are producing) and an antibody test? It is very important because if you ARE type 1/LADA, then you need to know before embarking on any dietary changes.

x

Oh dear that does sound frightening, I’m glad you got the correct diagnosis in the end. Hope you are keeping well now. I’ve no idea what the blood test results were but I will ask the nurse on Monday. The only symptoms I have is extreme tiredness but no idea how long the tablets need to start working so don’t want to pester the doctor too much. Thanks again for the advice x

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for the advice. The doctor just said Type 1 is seen in younger people but didn’t go into anymore detail. My head is in a bit of a spin at the moment but I’m going to write all this down so I can ask questions when I see the nurse on Monday.
That's not true as those in the forum knows. Not saying you aren't type 2, as it can happen but given your information and your lower BMI it sounds like further tests would be a good idea.

there is a term called TOFI that had been used for some

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/a19898577/type-2-diabetes/

But your active lifestyle seems to not be so in this case.

KayLS

If you buy a glucose meter you can use it as an early warning for dangerously high glucose levels which could happen if you are actually Type 1.

If you are Type 2, then the glucose meter can be useful to monitor the effects of diet and exercise. The fact that you have just been put on metformin (Sukkarto is a brand name) rather than a combination of drugs suggests that your HbA1c is not frighteningly high which means that you have ample time to think about how to manage it.

Thank you for the advice. I’ll look into it. At the moment I feel a bit of a fraud worrying about things, apart from being extremely tired all the time I have no other symptoms. However, I want to make sure I’m doing everything I can to be healthy. Can you recommend any brands of glucose meters I should buy?

Dark Horse

Thank you for the advice. I’ll look into it. At the moment I feel a bit of a fraud worrying about things, apart from being extremely tired all the time I have no other symptoms. However, I want to make sure I’m doing everything I can to be healthy. Can you recommend any brands of glucose meters I should buy?
Have a look at Rachox's post on this thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/glucose-strips.180693/#post-2381795 there are some suggestions for glucose meters and strips (the latter are usually the biggest expense). Diabetes does its damage even at levels where there are no symptoms so you are very wise to be looking into this, not a fraud at all.

Reactions: KayLS

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, extreme tiredness is definitely a symptom. It is caused because your body is not processing the carbs you eat no matter the cause, into energy, so you have none. I was the same prior to diagnosis and just thought oh well, I'm getting on a bit, busy family life etc. Once I was on insulin the tiredness disappeared! x

Reactions: JMoli and KayLS

KayLS

Have a look at Rachox's post on this thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/glucose-strips.180693/#post-2381795 there are some suggestions for glucose meters and strips (the latter are usually the biggest expense). Diabetes does its damage even at levels where there are no symptoms so you are very wise to be looking into this, not a fraud at all.

Hi there @Darkhorse I had a quick look, spoke to my nurse on Monday who said a monitor not needed for me as the medication I’m on doesn’t require it. Still thinking of getting one however, just to see what diff food/exercise makes x

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Elenas

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome in the forum , I'm also a T2 who is underweight , I'm 30 years old ... and having a pretty healthy and active lifestyle. Sometimes T2 hit people who have not the "usual profile".
But please like everyone suggest make sure that you are not a T1 by asking a C Peptide test .

Reactions: ert and KayLS

KayLS

Hi there, extreme tiredness is definitely a symptom. It is caused because your body is not processing the carbs you eat no matter the cause, into energy, so you have none. I was the same prior to diagnosis and just thought oh well, I'm getting on a bit, busy family life etc. Once I was on insulin the tiredness disappeared! x

That’s good to know @KK123. I’m now probably feeling worse than I did a few weeks ago but I expect it’s my body getting used to the tablets x

KayLS

Welcome in the forum , I'm also a T2 who is underweight , I'm 30 years old ... and having a pretty healthy and active lifestyle. Sometimes T2 hit people who have not the "usual profile".
But please like everyone suggest make sure that you are not a T1 by asking a C Peptide test .

Hello @Elanas I did mention that to the nurse but she said they would not do a test due to my age. How are you getting on? What changes have you made? My nurse was lovely but couldn’t give much dietary advice. I’m a bit underweight already and lost 2Ibs so worried to lose more. Think I’m going to be referred to a dietitian for more tailored advice x

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reactions: oldgreymare

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Advice please folks. Found out a week ago I have type 2 diabetes, found in a blood test (I’d been feeling really tired all time) beginning of March. As my doctor didn’t believe results had another blood test which confirmed it.

I’m 45, active (walk 6-10km a day) non smoker/drinker with a very low BMI (long story but had cancer as a baby so never been able to put weight on). I think I eat quite healthily (no sugary/processed or fried foods and I don’t have a sweet tooth), my husband is Italian so maybe I eat too much pasta?!

Doctor not sure reason I have developed Type 2 days it may be a late effect of cancer treatments I had or may just have happened for no reason. He has requested a pancreas scan and started me on Sukkarto to take 2 a day. He gave no advice re diet but I am due to see the nurse in a few days time.

A lot of literature I’ve read in the past week gives great advice but I’m very concerned about changing my diet and losing weight. As mentioned above I really do struggle to maintain my weight. Any advice for a very confused newbie much appreciated x

Hi, Belated welcome to the forum.

My father also had a reasonable BMI when diagnosed T2. But that's anecdotal on my part.

What was your actual figures that came back from the Doc regarding your HbA1c?

KayLS

Hi, Belated welcome to the forum.

My father also had a reasonable BMI when diagnosed T2. But that's anecdotal on my part.

What was your actual figures that came back from the Doc regarding your HbA1c?

Hi @Jaylee I asked the nurse and she said it was 69. I assume that’s not too bad(?) as apart from referral for a scan and taking metformin twice a day they don’t want to see me again for 3 months x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jaylee I asked the nurse and she said it was 69. I assume that’s not too bad(?) as apart from referral for a scan and taking metformin twice a day they don’t want to see me again for 3 months x

Hi there, so your hb1ac is 69? That (I believe) is an average mmol of over 10 so that's quite high. It's well into type 2 territory but at least you know and are doing your research. If you haven't already then get yourself a meter and test. That way YOU will have some data to go on which will be very useful for you and your GP. x

KayLS

Hi there, so your hb1ac is 69? That (I believe) is an average mmol of over 10 so that's quite high. It's well into type 2 territory but at least you know and are doing your research. If you haven't already then get yourself a meter and test. That way YOU will have some data to go on which will be very useful for you and your GP. x

Hi @KK123 yes sorry, I was meaning to message you and let you know. I’d written down your question to ask the nurse when I saw her. She was lovely but I didn’t feel I got much advice. Glad I’ve found this forum! I think I will prob buy a meter xx

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @KK123 yes sorry, I was meaning to message you and let you know. I’d written down your question to ask the nurse when I saw her. She was lovely but I didn’t feel I got much advice. Glad I’ve found this forum! I think I will prob buy a meter xx

No need for ANY apologies, most of us regularly check in so we see all the replies anyway without putting pressure on anyone to respond directly to us, you have enough on your plate. xx