nickname999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I had recently got freestyle libre monitor for my dad (Type 2 diabetic). He is on insulin injections once a day.
As soon as he applied the sensor, his finger prick blood glucose level rose and remained high for a the full week he had the sensor attached to his arm. Even his fasting BG level in the morning was high.
As soon as he took it off, it returned normal.
Once would have been a weird coincidence, but this happened twice.
I don't really see how they could be connected, and I couldn't find any information related to cases like these.
Anyone with an idea or with similar experience?
Would appreciate any input.
Thanks!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I had recently got freestyle libre monitor for my dad (Type 2 diabetic). He is on insulin injections once a day.
As soon as he applied the sensor, his finger prick blood glucose level rose and remained high for a the full week he had the sensor attached to his arm. Even his fasting BG level in the morning was high.
As soon as he took it off, it returned normal.
Once would have been a weird coincidence, but this happened twice.
I don't really see how they could be connected, and I couldn't find any information related to cases like these.
Thanks!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you saying there was a discrepenacy with what the sensor was reading & the blood meter?
Or were they both consistently high??

nickname999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you saying there was a discrepenacy with what the sensor was reading & the blood meter?
Or were they both consistently high??

Hi Jaylee,

my dad said the actual finger prick blood meter was reading in high the the whole time.
As for the libre sensor, I think it was reading 20-25 higher than what blood meter was saying, but we were aware it could be off, so it wasn't a huge deal.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee,

my dad said the actual finger prick blood meter was reading in high the the whole time.
As for the libre sensor, I think it was reading 20-25 higher than what blood meter was saying, but we were aware it could be off, so it wasn't a huge deal.

Hi again,

The discrepancy twix meter & sensor sounds about right?

I must admit I've not had BG managment issues using the Libre. To the contrary.

Just out of interest. Had you father been using the same cartridge or vial of insulin during this time?
I use a long acting Lantus insulin for my background levels & happen to know the odd cartridge can loose potency aprox half way though, no matter how it's stored..?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs

Are you saying that wearing the libre sensor possibly caused your dad's blood sugar to go high?

Not something that I have ever heard of but a lot of people have allergic reactions to the sensors and/or glue. Stress and/or illness pushes blood sugars higher so I can imagine that this might be the case for your dad?

I personally had to stop using the libre 1 after a year because I developed an allergy to the sensors and this also caused the readings from the libre to become completely inaccurate. (I now use the dexcom and so far so good.)

You could try contacting Abbott for advice but they will probably deny everything. :)

Out of interest, how much higher were his readings than normal?

nickname999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you saying that wearing the libre sensor possibly caused your dad's blood sugar to go high?

Not something that I have ever heard of but a lot of people have allergic reactions to the sensors and/or glue. Stress and/or illness pushes blood sugars higher so I can imagine that this might be the case for your dad?

I personally had to stop using the libre 1 after a year because I developed an allergy to the sensors and this also caused the readings from the libre to become completely inaccurate. (I now use the dexcom and so far so good.)

You could try contacting Abbott for advice but they will probably deny everything. :)

Out of interest, how much higher were his readings than normal?
Yea maybe it was an allergic reaction.. That makes much more sense..
Thank you so much EllieM!