Fruits in a low carb diet

Drfarxan

So what do you guys think of fruits? And do you include them in your diet?
Fructose does not raise insulin.
The only danger is that in access it causes fatty liver which is one of the main cause of insulin resistance.
Fruits also have alot of carbs which can kick you out of ketosis. Low carb fruits which people who are on a keto diet eat are berries.

So do any of you on ketogenic or low carb include fruits in your diets? Which type of fruits!

Last edited:

Drfarxan

I regularly use fruit to treat a hypo, raises my blood sugar very quick!
Does not stimulate insulin,i edited it
upload_2021-3-30_16-28-40.png

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So what do you guys think of fruits? And do you include them in your diet?
Fructose does not raise insulin.
The only danger is that in access it causes fatty liver which is one of the main cause of insulin resistance.
Fruits also have alot of carbs which can kick you out of ketosis. Low carb fruits which people who are on a keto diet eat are berries.

So do any of you on ketogenic or low carb include fruits in your diets? Which type of fruits!
Some “fruits” are lower carb but are not generally thought of as fruit as such so avacado, tomato, cucumber, coconut (It’s getting into the technicalities of what is a fruit granted)

I do eat a lot of strawberries though. Don’t like other berries personally

thing is, if sonething tastes sweet naturally, generally there is a reason for that and it’s not likely to be helpful to us T2s

I do miss some fruits, but eating a banana is really not going to help my blood sugars, even though I eat more carbs than many they are just too high. Definitely ruled out in keto I suspect

Last edited:
Reactions: Drfarxan

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to say a few raspberries occasionally, but I can’t remember when I last had any. Perhaps a year ago or more?

tinmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a few raspberries, or blueberries on my breakfast each day. Those are the only fruits I eat now.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I aim to keep under 45g carbs/day, within that I eat a few strawberries with breakfast every day. I very occasionally eat raspberries or blueberries.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Few frozen raspberries between 50g and 80g with double cream or yoghurt as a treat sometimes.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Yes, but only after a hard workout, and In limited quantities. Some people like Stan Efferding say it stimulates the liver and metabolism. Probably just Bro Science, but I like to eat an orange or berries in my post workout meal.

for me, fruit falls into the category of foods that must be earned

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strawberries when they are in season, frozen raspberries occasionally, Rhubarb (I know technically not a fruit) very occasionally a very under ripe pear. I wasn't a big fruit eater before diagnosis.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Some “fruits” are lower carb but are not generally thought of as fruit as such so avacado, tomato, cucumber, coconut (It’s getting into the technicalities of what is a fruit granted)

I do eat a lot of strawberries though. Don’t like other berries personally

thing is, if sonething tastes sweet naturally, generally there is a reason for that and it’s not likely to be helpful to us T2s

I do miss some fruits, but eating a banana is really not going to help my blood sugars, even though I eat more carbs than many they are just too high. Definitely ruled out in keto I suspect
I find strawberries are fine within moderation and if I have a dash of cream with them, but I can only "look" and "admire" other fruits especially the red ones tomatoes etc as they will have revenge on me!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, something in most fruits spikes me, even if its not supposed to affect my insulin.
2 apricots took me as high as a cup cake does. Half an apple out of safety limits, a pear ditto.

I do have a few 6_10 blueberries or 1_2 strawberries most days. I also grow loads of raspberries and blackcurrant so will have those in season

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I miss tropical fruits - but they are nearly all high sugar/high carb.
I know from testing that most fruits spike my blood sugars.

I have a few fresh raspberries with greek yogurt most days, and make a rhubarb crumble sometimes (crumble = ground almonds with very little butter instead of flour). Occasionally I make low carb pancakes for breakfast with some blueberries - but the last time was over 2 months ago!
Mostly I have cauliflower (rice or mash) with loads of green veg, or a green salad with a small tomato.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes have a few raspberries, blueberries or strawberries with greek yoghurt for breakfast. I do miss not having bananas, oranges & pears.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of the sugars in fruit, typically half is fructose, and half is glucose. So please don’t fall into the trap of thinking that fruit only have fructose and no glucose, so therefore it must be OK.

far better to test and see what a set portion of a specific fruit does to you. Then test it again, to be sure.

Reactions: soonow and Rokaab

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to eat fruits which I know are fruits but do not end up in a fruit salad, cucumber, tomato, courgette etc.
I avoid avocado because it is one of those disaster crops like almonds and cotton which consume so much of our natural resources to produce it seems wrong to use them.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have blueberries and frozen strawberries with Greek yoghurt for breakfast and the occasional apple, orange or grape. However before realising that fruit wasn’t the healthy option for T2s I would regularly eat bananas, oranges, apples, dates, plums etc.