Diabeties v fibre

Pamstrachan

I aim for between 70 - 100 gms of carbs a day, but this leaves me too low in fibre.

Any increase in fibre seems to result in being too high in carbs.

Is there a solution.

Diagnosed pre diabetic a year ago.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I aim for between 70 - 100 gms of carbs a day, but this leaves me too low in fibre.

Is there a solution.

Where do you get your fibre "requirement" figure from and how much does it suggest you require?

Reactions: Pamstrachan

Pamstrachan

I use nutracheck app to measure food. On a low carb diet of 115gm per day, they recommend 24g of fibre. I have been getting 10g or less. Amazing how few grams come from fruit and veg. Rye bread, all bran and pulses better.
Also similar fibre info on about 3 health websites.
Started to look at fibre as my bowels, which used to be regular are so not working. Pretty sure due to lack of fibre.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started to look at fibre as my bowels, which used to be regular are so not working. Pretty sure due to lack of fibre.

If you have cut carbs significantly it's far more likely to be a case of "less rubbish in less rubbish out"...

Rather than "not working" you may be experiencing the lack of need to "go" every day.

There are no essential dietary carbs so there isn't really any essential dietary fibre.

I get by ok on almost zero fibre.

Reactions: oldgreymare

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm fairly low carb (less than 100g per day) and seem to have plenty of fibre in my diet (more likely to to be the opposite) so I suspect that the amount needed is very very variable. However, if you are constipated (yes, I'm not afraid to use the c word) I guess you need more.

Pamstrachan

Thanks for your comments.
Its weird, not constipated, but not happening- so maybe it is less rubbish in, less rubbish out.
By chance, just been to my good for something else, but mentioned it. She says carbs v fibre us a trade off, but didn't discuss zero of both. Interesting.
Under 50gms of carbs, I get terrible headaches.
So bloody complicated.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
try upping the amount of seeds in your diet.
I add 2-3 tablespoons to natural yoghurt to be a sort of cereal/porridge substitute

Reactions: Bigonabianchi

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your comments.
Its weird, not constipated, but not happening- so maybe it is less rubbish in, less rubbish out.
By chance, just been to my good for something else, but mentioned it. She says carbs v fibre us a trade off, but didn't discuss zero of both. Interesting.
Under 50gms of carbs, I get terrible headaches.
So bloody complicated.
Do you get enough fluids and electrolytes when you reduce carbs?. Carbs hold water which holds electrolytes. Reduce carbs you need more of the others. Headaches are a common side effect of these deficits, along with constipation.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
TMI?
I tend to get constipated due to the side effects of one of the prescription painkillers I take. Eating green vegs is not enough so I aim to get enough fibre, fat and liquid to avoid this.
I have a flaxseed porridge for breakfast - with added chia seed and nuts plus a little oatbran and coconut milk. About 15g of carbs, and with a coffee this is usually my highest carb meal of the day.
As I now longer have a gallbladder I also find that extra fat in a meal goes through unprocessed so oil/butter/cream all help (I used to eat very little fat for years post op due to the issues it caused me).
On bad days, ie extra painkillers, I add 1-2 sweets or a low carb biscuit that contain maltitol later in the day!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Is there a solution.

Try flaxseed - I have it with my Greek yoghurt for breakfast.

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Psyllium husk will clean things out, without raising BG.

Jo123

I have a maximum of 90 gms a of carbs a day but no problems with constipation. However my carbs are mostly made up of nuts, seeds and vegetables. I very rarely eat any obvious carbs, rice, pasta, for etc., I drink lots of tea and coffee, soya milk in coffee, dash of normal milk in tea.

Pamstrachan

This is an interesting study on fibre - fits with my personal experience too.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/
Omg! This was so helpful.

I was worried that the change in my bowels was due to lower fibre than I have been used to.
Looks like the changes are fine and nothing to worry about.
You have just saved me from a life of eating All Bran. Its going in the bucket. Hooray!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Omg! This was so helpful.

I was worried that the change in my bowels was due to lower fibre than I have been used to.
Looks like the changes are fine and nothing to worry about.
You have just saved me from a life of eating All Bran. Its going in the bucket. Hooray!

No problem. I function on pretty close to zero fibre. Water and electrolytes keep things moving!

Pamstrachan

Do you get enough fluids and electrolytes when you reduce carbs?. Carbs hold water which holds electrolytes. Reduce carbs you need more of the others. Headaches are a common side effect of these deficits, along with constipation.
Ah! I hadn't thought about electrolytes. I have suffered from lack of them before.
Thank you.

Pamstrachan

If you have cut carbs significantly it's far more likely to be a case of "less rubbish in less rubbish out"...

Rather than "not working" you may be experiencing the lack of need to "go" every day.

There are no essential dietary carbs so there isn't really any essential dietary fibre.

I get by ok on almost zero fibre.
I think you're assessment is correct. Thank you. I am going to stop trying to increase fibre and stop worrying about it.