How long could someone who is on insulin survive without any?

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And it is depending on what type and if still in the honeymoon period ? And also what if after a few days , you still hadnt developed ketones ? Does that mean you could still go on for a while ?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
And it is depending on what type and if still in the honeymoon period ? And also what if after a few days , you still hadnt developed ketones ? Does that mean you could still go on for a while ?

Keytones are the big issue if it wasn’t for the keytones it would be just like not eating so you can go on quite a while..

But in a t1 who is not honeymooning the keytones can start to build up after as short as 5 hours or when the insulin runs out..

The activity level/metabolism etc determines how quickly keytones build to dangerous levels but burning the body fat

So could be as little as 24hours could be days or slightly longer

I produce a very small level of insulin almost none… but if I stop my insulin my bg starts to rise slowly hitting the 20’s in about 24 hours and shortly after that I start to show low level keytones.. I’ve gone 3 days and still only got mid level keytones

If you are a t2 on insulin because you are still creating some of your own it could be. Weeks/months/years But all the time background damage is being done

Last edited:
Reactions: Grumpy Porridge

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some T1's develop ketoacidosis quickly (hours!), others only after a while. DKA is the quick way to die from high blood glucose.
If you're one of the ones not going into DKA quickly because you still produce some insulin yourself, the high blood sugars will cause depression and feeling very unwell on the very short term.
It may also mean the start of diabetic complications, none of which are enjoyable.
It's not only about immediate survival, it is also about quality of life, both short term and long term. For the ones developing DKA quickly it is of course about immediate survival, DKA still costs lives.

Can you tell us some more about why you don't want to take your insulin?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I found running 2 to 3 hours a day and not eating carbs I could control my blood sugars on diagnosis. It was tough going. I did not take insulin for 2 years after I was diagnosed. Eventually, I couldn't get my blood sugar below 13 mmo/l and my ketones under 4 mmol/l no matter how much I ran or little I ate, so I accepted insulin. A c-peptide test will tell you how much insulin your body is producing. My consultant monitored mine every 3 months as I was refusing insulin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grumpy Porridge

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your replies

I’m
Not good at chatting so have nothing to say

it’s 23 ( my blood sugar at the mo ) I ate a bowl
Of
Sugary cereal and over half a big pack of crisps . No ketones at the moment .

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My consultant told me that before injectable insulin was an option they would put children on a very low sugar diet - but they'd still waste away and die. How quickly depends on how much insulin your body is still producing.

Why aren't you taking it?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Even with no ketones, 23 is not a level you want to stay at, it'll make you feel really really rubbishy for a start, and if you've eaten that recently it will go up higher/

Please ring up 111 to see if you can get an emergency supply of insulin from an overnight chemist (or the hospital) and please talk to someone at your doctors or clinic asap to help you.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
it’s 23 ( my blood sugar at the mo ) I ate a bowl
Of
Sugary cereal and over half a big pack of crisps . No ketones at the moment .
No ketones is good!
Still, being at 23 and not having insulin at the moment isn't very good.
If you still had your insulin, would you want to take some? If so, could you consider ringing for help to get insulin right now or tomorrow morning at the latest?

Getting your numbers down a bit will make you feel better, not only physically, but mentally as well.
Take care!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like you may need some support for depression etc? Do see the GP or one of the many charities who can provide suitable support.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
( and I got rid of my insulin again earlier so I have none to use )

Being high from eating too much and being high from having insulin are 2 different things

You won’t get ketones from being high from eating too much as your body does not burn any fat to create them… in fact if your body still produces a little insulin being high from too much food might force the production of a little more

Keytones only come when insulin on board runs out.. so typically 5 hours after rapid 16 hours after long acting

It’s not for us to tell you what to do..

All I can say is sit an consider if you had your insulin would you take it.. if you would then help is there if you want it either by calling 111 and seeking emergency insulin or even calling the Samaritans and talking about things.

This is coming from someone who has considered similar actions in the past (only considered) but ultimately only you can can make that decision..

I’m sure plenty of thoughts and hugs being sent in your direction

Reactions: MrsA2

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have suffered depression and anxiety for best part of 20 years and have been in a visious cycle when I feel really down I neglect myself then my blood sugars run supper high then I feel much worse. Reach out for help if you need to. Even a 5 minute chat with someone can make a difference

Reactions: MrsA2

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
or even calling the Samaritans and talking about things.
The samaritans number is
116 123

They listen 24/7

@Grumpy Porridge are you alone? Do you have a family member, friend or housemate you can talk to? I and many others on these forums are concerned about you.

Please get help now.