Celebrating real foods

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had pork belly tonight, but I do find it difficult to cook. I tried the airfryer tonight, 10 minutes on 200 then turn and another 5 minutes. But this lot had the rind on which came out chewy so the rind went back in while we ate. I think part of the trouble is the quantity. Feeding 2 non diabetic adult males as well as me tonight I was cooking 700g and there wasn't much air space.
Ideas?

Slow cook it in the air fryer (very low a d slow) and turn the heat up at the end to crisp the rind. Does your air fryer have a spit? If so, it’d be best on there.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

The usual meat fest here.

Having eaten only once yesterday and at 3pm, found myself hungry earlier than usual, so ate breakfast of pork belly pieces coated in chilli oil and salt. Followed up by 2 small leftover lamb ribs.

Dinner was Nando’s thighs and wings with Halloumi.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a quiche in the oven as we speak. Sautéed onion, pepper, tomato and aubergine with some fried pancetta chunks and some cheese through the eggs and cream. And.... I have made it an almond flour and sesame seed crust. First time I’ve tried this and I am a tad dubious, I think I have possibly added too much butter to the pastry and it looked like it was frying when I blind baked it. But we will see... the eggy bit will be good even if the pastry isn’t, and you gotta try things, right? The pastry could well taste nice even if it’s soggy - all that butter, what’s not to like....

Reactions: DJC3 and Speedbird

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The spinach that has come through the winter in the garden is a bit tough now, so added some wild garlic to it and cooked it under fish for quite a while. Was good.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, so the pastry was not a success. It wasn’t awful, just not delish and it’s not worth the carbs to me. I shall separate the leftover frittata bit from the crust when I eat the remains for lunch!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was soooo hungry today. 3 meals!

Breakfast and dinner were air fried pork belly pieces coated in chilli oil and salt. Yum.
Lunch was the first Five Guys in a while. Bunless burger with grilled onions and bacon. Sat on a kerb in direct sun in Soho and used my rucksack as a ‘table’! Street had been closed to traffic so that local restaurants could put tables right across the road so a relatively quiet little spot to eat in central London.

View attachment 48964

Loving the Al fresco meal in that sunshine
And the idea a sleeping giant is awakening from its slumber.

Shouldn't really look at the post so early in morning. Tummy now rumbling..lol.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm so the pastry was much better cold. I fact the whole thing was tastier cold, perhaps a night in the fridge has encouraged the flavours to get to know each other! I shall now spend the next hour picking sesame seeds out of my teeth. Sigh....

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm so the pastry was much better cold. I fact the whole thing was tastier cold, perhaps a night in the fridge has encouraged the flavours to get to know each other! I shall now spend the next hour picking sesame seeds out of my teeth. Sigh....
Next time, would it be better as a "crustless" quiche, a sort of fritatta?

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, that is what I usually do, just fancied giving the pastry a punt! It’s funny how a frittata tastes quite different to an omelette, given that they are virtually the same thing!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back on the Bavette steak today - formed an early dinner after a brunch of smoked salmon and leftover Nando’s chicken thighs.

358AC9C3-43E2-4863-B6E7-0463839932EC.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back on the Bavette steak today - formed an early dinner after a brunch of smoked salmon and leftover Nando’s chicken thighs.

View attachment 49070

Looks perfect. I have a couple in the freezer. I’m waiting for the rest of the household to declare they want a Chinese takeaway or fish n chip supper then I can gracefully bow out and have the far more enjoyable bavette all to myself!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cooked fish in the Instant Pot for the first time today. Recipe attached. Wild sockeye salmon in a foil parcel with lemon, thyme, garlic, unpasteurised butter and lemon salt. 5 mins to cook plus 5 mins pressure release. And no pot to wash up!

1B8F7471-5ED1-4781-B4E4-F5A4CF51462A.jpeg

Attachments

• 97390AC9-3C0C-498B-8CC3-F972A49DFF44.jpg
    97390AC9-3C0C-498B-8CC3-F972A49DFF44.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: MrsA2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice, easy tasty cauliflower dish.
Break a cauliflower into large florets.
In a bowl mix 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, a chopped garlic clove, 3-4 finely chopped Bay leaves and the zest of a lemon (can include the lemon juice if you don't mind the carbs).
Stir the cauliflower into the mix and let it sit for as long as you have.
When ready to cook roast in the oven 200° for about 20-30 minutes until tender

Reactions: DJC3 and Buzzer81

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May give that cauli dish a go next time I fancy some veg @MrsA2

Back on to the beef today. Why did short ribs take so long to come into my life?

C55AD4DB-2893-436A-9851-BCC9C200AB70.jpeg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, that is what I usually do, just fancied giving the pastry a punt! It’s funny how a frittata tastes quite different to an omelette, given that they are virtually the same thing!
I was in hospital for 24 hour observation last October and the evening meal was served up, I had no idea what it was as it was covered up when it was deleivered so could not ask the delivery staff.

Sent this pix to my partner and couple of other cooks. and found out it was frittata. It had a chicken caulifower taste to i t crunchy salad as well, I ate it as I was pretty hungry

tgR52cO.jpg

Reactions: Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks pretty good for hospital food @Riva_Roxaban
Today’s food for me was a cheese omelette mid morning and a flat iron steak with salad leaves for dinner. First time I’ve cooked flat iron, but I’ll definitely have it again it has a great flavour. Strawberries and cream afterwards.
IMG_1619472467.189089.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brined chicken wings done in the air fryer for lunch. They are so delicious.
Dinner was leftovers - two plain Nando’s thighs and 2 lamb ribs coated in lemon pepper that somehow didn’t get eaten earlier in the week.

C497AA8E-6958-417A-9726-507B79E16DBC.jpeg