Help again again again

Sad21+

I feel like this is becoming a habit. Firstly thank you all for helping me in previous posts regarding help making finger less painful. I also ordered the accu check and tested on myself. And it barely hurt. I'm going to test mum later.

Anyway sorry I'm prediabetic and my mum is newly diagnosed diabetic. We are doing low carb but not keto. We use olive oil, have fatty fish eat nuts, chia seeds etc. However I'm uncomfortable eating and giving myself and my mum full fat dairy.

I'm cooking and was reading ingredients to avoid online. I saw it on flora activ to lower cholesterol. So I started to panic and have heart palpations. Now I'm wondering should I bin the dinner.
Everytime I read something it's another item i have to get rid of. I cannot take the stress. Anyway sorry.

Question is what butter can I use. My mum is a hypothyroid. She's also disabled so exercise is not easy for her. Plus she's type 2 diabetic. It's easy for her to put on weight. I don't feel comfortable using full fat cream,butter,yogurt etc.

Is there any butters or spreads that I can use that is low fat,salt and sugar. Sorry I know this is annoying. Thank you all.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating fat doesn't make you fat.
Excess carbs make you fat so use the full fat dairy and ignore the adverts from Flora (they have something to sell after all).
Or you could eat some more meat which has fat in it without adding extra fat if you prefer.

Reactions: Sad21+

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reducing carbs will help lower your cholesterol and will help with weight loss. There are other fatty things you can eat at will. Eggs, eggs and more eggs. Salmon (tinned or fresh) as much as you like, other oily fish such as mackerel and sardines, and of course meat as @bulkbiker suggests, especially bacon! If you have already gone low carb you absolutely need to increase your fats. The fewer carbs you eat, the more protein and fats you must eat. Oh - and you need extra salt if you abandon processed foods.

Butter is a wonderful nutrient - full of goodness and 100% natural. Low fat spreads are processed plastic. Low fat products tend to contain either more sugar or loads of sweeteners to make them taste better. This is not good for us. If ever you saw a video/film of how margarine type spreads are manufactured, you would never eat them again. There is no need to overdo the butter, cream, yogurt or cheese - small portions are fine and so much better for you than "pretend" alternatives.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I went from low fat everything to full fat fairy, fat with meat etc - and was 50 lb lighter in no time, and my cholesterol went down.
I hardly add any fat when cooking - a bottle of olive oil lasts for months, but I eat the fats which are there naturally.
Don't do low salt if you are avoiding processed foods - we need salt, what we do not need are carbs - it is not just sugar we should avoid but starches as well.
How claiming that foods Humans have eaten for many thousands of years are going to harm us can be justified, I really do not know - they must think we are a bit dim witted.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You mention spreads. Marguerines and those butter substitutes that are supposed to be butterly straight from the fridge are actually chock full of trans fats, which are bad boys. Marges tend to use seed oils and vegetable oils that are high in Omega-6 fats, but butter and dairy are good sources of Omega-3 oils and some of the B vitamins that we need, Omega-3 oils such as found in oily fish are healthy, omega-6 and omega-7 oils are not very healthy.

PS cholesterol in the diet does not become cholesterol in our blood. Our bodies manufacture cholesterol from all sorts of foods we eat, and it is not dependent on things like eggs, fats, etc. In fact, diet cholesterol would be poison to us but it saves us energy by providing the basic building blocks that our body can scavenge rather than synthesize from scratch.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Plus she's type 2 diabetic. It's easy for her to put on weight.

High circulating quantities of insulin plus high blood sugars result in weight gain. Unfortunately T2s are insulin resistant so they overproduce insulin in a vain attempt to process carbs. Reducing the carbs not only reduces the blood sugar but also removes the excess insulin plus high blood sugar weight gain driver.

Reactions: jjraak and Sad21+

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel like this is becoming a habit. Firstly thank you all for helping me in previous posts regarding help making finger less painful. I also ordered the accu check and tested on myself. And it barely hurt. I'm going to test mum later.

Anyway sorry I'm prediabetic and my mum is newly diagnosed diabetic. We are doing low carb but not keto. We use olive oil, have fatty fish eat nuts, chia seeds etc. However I'm uncomfortable eating and giving myself and my mum full fat dairy.

I'm cooking and was reading ingredients to avoid online. I saw it on flora activ to lower cholesterol. So I started to panic and have heart palpations. Now I'm wondering should I bin the dinner.
Everytime I read something it's another item i have to get rid of. I cannot take the stress. Anyway sorry.

Question is what butter can I use. My mum is a hypothyroid. She's also disabled so exercise is not easy for her. Plus she's type 2 diabetic. It's easy for her to put on weight. I don't feel comfortable using full fat cream,butter,yogurt etc.

Is there any butters or spreads that I can use that is low fat,salt and sugar. Sorry I know this is annoying. Thank you all.
As others have said, fat doesn’t make you fat, nor does it give you heart disease. However, if you want to avoid full-fat dairy that is of course your choice. But I am wondering why you need a spread at all? Since I adopted LCHF I have nothing to spread butter on! I use if for melting onto veg and for baking, and that’s more or less it apart from an occasional heap on a warm, home-made keto scone.

For savoury things you might want to consider cream cheese, but the lower fat versions of this have 5.4g/100g as opposed to 4.0g/100g for the full-fat version. I wouldn’t touch those synthetic low-fat spreads at all, diabetic or not, they are not food.

Reactions: EllieM and Sad21+

Sad21+

As others have said, fat doesn’t make you fat, nor does it give you heart disease. However, if you want to avoid full-fat dairy that is of course your choice. But I am wondering why you need a spread at all? Since I adopted LCHF I have nothing to spread butter on! I use if for melting onto veg and for baking, and that’s more or less it apart from an occasional heap on a warm, home-made keto scone.

For savoury things you might want to consider cream cheese, but the lower fat versions of this have 5.4g/100g as opposed to 4.0g/100g for the full-fat version. I wouldn’t touch those synthetic low-fat spreads at all, diabetic or not, they are not food.
Hello thank you. I buy keto bread for my mum. And I make low carb recipes that need some form or butter/spread. Thank you for your advice. Very helpful

Sad21+

High circulating quantities of insulin plus high blood sugars result in weight gain. Unfortunately T2s are insulin resistant so they overproduce insulin in a vain attempt to process carbs. Reducing the carbs not only reduces the blood sugar but also removes the excess insulin plus high blood sugar weight gain driver.
Thank you for explaining this. I really do appreciate this. I'm finding more on diabetes on here and on YouTube compared to or doctors. Very helpful thank you.

Sad21+

You mention spreads. Marguerines and those butter substitutes that are supposed to be butterly straight from the fridge are actually chock full of trans fats, which are bad boys. Marges tend to use seed oils and vegetable oils that are high in Omega-6 fats, but butter and dairy are good sources of Omega-3 oils and some of the B vitamins that we need, Omega-3 oils such as found in oily fish are healthy, omega-6 and omega-7 oils are not very healthy.

PS cholesterol in the diet does not become cholesterol in our blood. Our bodies manufacture cholesterol from all sorts of foods we eat, and it is not dependent on things like eggs, fats, etc. In fact, diet cholesterol would be poison to us but it saves us energy by providing the basic building blocks that our body can scavenge rather than synthesize from scratch.
Thank you for this. I really do appreciate it. The information on diabetes and other health issues is overwhelming and contradictory. This is really helpful.

Reactions: jjraak and EllieM

Sad21+

I went from low fat everything to full fat fairy, fat with meat etc - and was 50 lb lighter in no time, and my cholesterol went down.
I hardly add any fat when cooking - a bottle of olive oil lasts for months, but I eat the fats which are there naturally.
Don't do low salt if you are avoiding processed foods - we need salt, what we do not need are carbs - it is not just sugar we should avoid but starches as well.
How claiming that foods Humans have eaten for many thousands of years are going to harm us can be justified, I really do not know - they must think we are a bit dim witted.
Thank you. I'm finding it hard to adjust the information is always clashing on what to eat. Still not ready to go full fat just yet. But have drastically cut carbs and sugar. I'm still learning. Thank you so much. Very helpul

Sad21+

Reducing carbs will help lower your cholesterol and will help with weight loss. There are other fatty things you can eat at will. Eggs, eggs and more eggs. Salmon (tinned or fresh) as much as you like, other oily fish such as mackerel and sardines, and of course meat as @bulkbiker suggests, especially bacon! If you have already gone low carb you absolutely need to increase your fats. The fewer carbs you eat, the more protein and fats you must eat. Oh - and you need extra salt if you abandon processed foods.

Butter is a wonderful nutrient - full of goodness and 100% natural. Low fat spreads are processed plastic. Low fat products tend to contain either more sugar or loads of sweeteners to make them taste better. This is not good for us. If ever you saw a video/film of how margarine type spreads are manufactured, you would never eat them again. There is no need to overdo the butter, cream, yogurt or cheese - small portions are fine and so much better for you than "pretend" alternatives.
Thank you for replying. This is very helpful. Yes I've increased fat and moderate protein and reduced carbs. Finding it difficult to adjust. This is really helpful. Thank you

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this. I really do appreciate it. The information on diabetes and other health issues is overwhelming and contradictory. This is really helpful.
I was diagnosed on lockdown day 1, 2020, so I had loads of time to learn and research, and found it difficult and contradictory, and yes I am still learning and researching a full year later. Dont even try to understand it all in one go. The basics of low carb seem to work for most people but hasn't found its way into mainstream medical system yet.
I'm sure there are other discoveries and solutions to be found in the future too.

That's partly why so many members on here stick around for so long, its not just support its continuous learning.
Just be patient and kind to yourself. It takes time to get our heads around diagnosis let alone everything else too

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Sad21+

A BIG UP to you, for taking the journey with mum ...bravo

And I hear you on that 'fats' call.

When first DX'd in went full on "Eat well".
Low fat this , low calorie that.
.8 weeks later, next blood test I got worse.:arghh::banghead:

That scared me into action
Like you I eventually found the forum, dipped a cautious toe in, numbers began to fall, before long I was fully immersed.

Was it safe. Mmh...for me a resounding YES.

I became VERY interested in my blood scores/HBA1c..and began digging

My missus, bit of a FOOD guru, had been nagging me for ages to cut down on, xyz...Yadda, Yadda

And I listened.
Time was 2010,
I'd just had a health scare and got bloods taken

Docs said all was ok .but cut down, on fats, eat more cereal & fruit.

and why would I disbelieve them ?

Whizz forward to 2018, and now it was personal.

Looking back at 2010...my bloods were anything but ok.

However, the low cal, zero fat over the 8 year gap, had improved me lipid levels, very very slightly.

So come DX, I actually had improved ever so slightly over 8 years

After finding forum, I went LCHF.

In 3 months my blood tests improved measurably..

By 9 months my bloods figures had returned to optimal & normal, from 2010's high risks danger warnings, across the range .

Would it be the same for you ?

Who can say, I simply offer my own testament for perusal .

As a finish, this video made so much sense to me, at the time

If you get a moment, it's well worth a watch, before you make any decisions ..

Best wishes for the journey you & mum are on.

We all take our own routes, but however we get there the goal is the same.

As for the forum, it's a great place.
Advice and support in every corner.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sad21+ and Oldvatr

Sad21+

Hi @Sad21+

A BIG UP to you, for taking the journey with mum ...bravo

And I hear you on that 'fats' call.

When first DX'd in went full on "Eat well".
Low fat this , low calorie that.
.8 weeks later, next blood test I got worse.:arghh::banghead:

That scared me into action
Like you I eventually found the forum, dipped a cautious toe in, numbers began to fall, before long I was fully immersed.

Was it safe. Mmh...for me a resounding YES.

I became VERY interested in my blood scores/HBA1c..and began digging

My missus, bit of a FOOD guru, had been nagging me for ages to cut down on, xyz...Yadda, Yadda

And I listened.
Time was 2010,
I'd just had a health scare and got bloods taken

Docs said all was ok .but cut down, on fats, eat more cereal & fruit.

and why would I disbelieve them ?

Whizz forward to 2018, and now it was personal.

Looking back at 2010...my bloods were anything but ok.

However, the low cal, zero fat over the 8 year gap, had improved me lipid levels, very very slightly.

So come DX, I actually had improved ever so slightly over 8 years

After finding forum, I went LCHF.

In 3 months my blood tests improved measurably..

By 9 months my bloods figures had returned to optimal & normal, from 2010's high risks danger warnings, across the range .

Would it be the same for you ?

Who can say, I simply offer my own testament for perusal .

As a finish, this video made so much sense to me, at the time

If you get a moment, it's well worth a watch, before you make any decisions ..

Best wishes for the journey you & mum are on.

We all take our own routes, but however we get there the goal is the same.

As for the forum, it's a great place.
Advice and support in every corner.:)
I want to apologize for responding so late. I'm happy to hear your journey and finding what works for you. Thank you so much for the advice and I'm definitely going to watch the video. I really do appreciate this. Thank you so much.

Sad21+

I was diagnosed on lockdown day 1, 2020, so I had loads of time to learn and research, and found it difficult and contradictory, and yes I am still learning and researching a full year later. Dont even try to understand it all in one go. The basics of low carb seem to work for most people but hasn't found its way into mainstream medical system yet.
I'm sure there are other discoveries and solutions to be found in the future too.

That's partly why so many members on here stick around for so long, its not just support its continuous learning.
Just be patient and kind to yourself. It takes time to get our heads around diagnosis let alone everything else too
Wow I appreciate this. Thank you for your advice and for commenting. I hope we all overcome and get better. Yes the very overwhelming. I'm going to take your advice. And I must apologize for replying so late. Thank you.

Sad21+

And I do hope the future bings better treatments. I wish you the best.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I want to apologize for responding so late. I'm happy to hear your journey and finding what works for you. Thank you so much for the advice and I'm definitely going to watch the video. I really do appreciate this. Thank you so much.
No worries

sure you got your hands full of more important stuff..

and for all the forums virtues, at the end of the day it's also a message board,
with info relayed for collection when you find some free time..

Glad you might find it of some use.

Take care.

Sad21+

No worries

sure you got your hands full of more important stuff..

and for all the forums virtues, at the end of the day it's also a message board,
with info relayed for collection when you find some free time..

Glad you might find it of some use.

Take care.
I really do appreciate this. Thank you so much. This whole thing has been overwhelming. And all of you really are helping me and my mother. Thank you