T2 can be reversed

SLLH

Hello everyone. I have a very strong family history of T2 diabetes, grandfather, mum, dad, aunts and I had gestational diabetes with both my children. Normal hba1c for 5 years then had a very stressful 2019 & it went up to 51, 4 days later 46 then 3 months later 41. Up to 55 in my annual check last October & officially diagnosed. My GP gave me 6 months to sort it or go on Metformin. In the last 7 months I have used a meter to see how much carb I could tolerate. I ended up trying IF so I eat 2 low carb meals a day in a 6 hour period and some weekends OMAD. It works as I've lost 1stone 7 lbs and my latest hba1c is 39.
It can be done with a little trial & error and research. The book that really opened my eyes is The Diabetes Code by Dr Jason Fung.
Btw, I don't feel hungry, I make sure I eat plenty and on my OMAD weekends I have a 3 or 4 course meal

Reactions: ButterflyWine

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done.. you've found the exact route that many of us have used to put T2 firmly into remission.
Stellar results and isn't it great to take control of your own health.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wonderful news.

And the nuance is on the "reversed"

Applaud your efforts,. Bravo.

But suggest it should be remission.

Much as i love Fung

To go back to hence we came,
What a tragedy that would be.

However congratulations..a marvellous feat :)

Reactions: LaoDan and Mike d

Caprock94

Wonderful news.

And the nuance is on the "reversed"

Applaud your efforts,. Bravo.

But suggest it should be remission.

Much as i love Fung

To go back to hence we came,
What a tragedy that would be.

However congratulations..a marvellous feat :)

Reversed, in remission, controlled......call it what you want. Not sure why people get so caught up in this. Well done SLLH.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reversed, in remission, controlled......call it what you want. Not sure why people get so caught up in this. Well done SLLH.
Because it is an important distinction and needs to be understood to avoid any relapse.

If someone think or has been told that their diabetes is cured, and they can now eat anything they want without triggering their diabetes again, the consequences are that more damage is done before re-diagnosis.

It's not just semantics. Words matter.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny the way some docs stamp the label for life once you hit 48 yet others seem to be more lax giving you time to turn it around. Yet the first thing that Google teaches you about diabetes is that 42-47 (pre-diabetes) is reversible yet 48+(diabetes) is progressive chronic for life. Glucose dysregulation is a spectrum & one point on a metric doesn't define ones ability to improve.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny the way some docs stamp the label for life once you hit 48 yet others seem to be more lax giving you time to turn it around. Yet the first thing that Google teaches you about diabetes is that 42-47 (pre-diabetes) is reversible yet 48+(diabetes) is progressive chronic for life. Glucose dysregulation is a spectrum & one point on a metric doesn't define ones ability to improve.
According to the medics' Handbook of Diabetes, diagnosis at a reading of 49 was chosen by the medics, comparatively recently, simply because "retinal neuropathy is rare" in people with an A1c below that level. It apparently has no other relevance. The medical profession does seem to have turned an A1c reading of 49 into something it isn't. As far as I'm concerned now I was already diabetic with A1c scores in the mid 40s, because that level gave me some nasty symptoms. But my GP told me I definitely wasn't diabetic, so it seemed there was no point doing anything to tackle a problem they said I didn't have.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you know thats not correct - yes?

Oh yes, I've read many posts from pre-diabetics who succumbed in a short space of time to full blown.
I also read more & more diagnosed T2s who managed to achieve sub 48 or even sub 42 A1cs in their 3 month follow up window.

What I was referring to was the difference in hope you receive after Googling diabetic vs pre-diabetic.

Reactions: muzza3

Woof54

Hello everyone. I have a very strong family history of T2 diabetes, grandfather, mum, dad, aunts and I had gestational diabetes with both my children. Normal hba1c for 5 years then had a very stressful 2019 & it went up to 51, 4 days later 46 then 3 months later 41. Up to 55 in my annual check last October & officially diagnosed. My GP gave me 6 months to sort it or go on Metformin. In the last 7 months I have used a meter to see how much carb I could tolerate. I ended up trying IF so I eat 2 low carb meals a day in a 6 hour period and some weekends OMAD. It works as I've lost 1stone 7 lbs and my latest hba1c is 39.
It can be done with a little trial & error and research. The book that really opened my eyes is The Diabetes Code by Dr Jason Fung.
Btw, I don't feel hungry, I make sure I eat plenty and on my OMAD weekends I have a 3 or 4 course meal

that’s fantastic and needed hear this. I recently got diagnosed and struggling lose weight. I am iF but perhaps my 10 hour to eat window too large. Out interest how many carbs and sat fat did u eat a day. ? I track my macros did u do this and calorie count. ? I’m thrilled you reversed. I’m feeling so low I just don’t lose anything

Reactions: muzza3 and ziggy_w

Woof54

Well done.. you've found the exact route that many of us have used to put T2 firmly into remission.
Stellar results and isn't it great to take control of your own health.

I’m trying to reverse. How long did it take you? Did u do a lot exercise?Any carb limit eg 50 g day etc. Really need some support. Just diagnosed. Need to lose weight!

Reactions: muzza3

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m trying to reverse. How long did it take you? Did u do a lot exercise?Any carb limit eg 50 g day etc. Really need some support. Just diagnosed. Need to lose weight!

Went low carb, walked the dog 30 mins a night. Weight fell off me. Depends on the cause of your insulin resistance when it comes to remission.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Remission in about 3 months.

I went for a keto level of carbs about 20g a day or less.

Didn't do any extra exercise at all, just gentle dog walks which I did pre-diagnosis anyway.
Edit to add and lost over 100 pounds in the process and regained my health.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Congratulations @SLLH

We all know how much effort and dedication is required for you to get that result

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta

After mucking around for a couple of years following doctors and dieticians advice found the Newcastle diet and was in remission in around three months and lost 16kg.Followed up with low carb less than 60g and lost a further 10kg

Note of caution! Then thought I was cured went back to previous diet put all the weight back on over 4 years. Returned here this year and thru low carb lost 22kg this year. Looks like I dodged a bullet with BG still in the normal range - My lessons - Test my FBG every morning and post on forum. Weigh every week and post on Forum. Develop new dietary habits and keep carbs and calories under control

Caprock94

Because it is an important distinction and needs to be understood to avoid any relapse.

If someone think or has been told that their diabetes is cured, and they can now eat anything they want without triggering their diabetes again, the consequences are that more damage is done before re-diagnosis.

It's not just semantics. Words matter.

To me, there is a difference between reversed and cured. Again, everyone interprets differently.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Went from A1c of 50 to A1c of 36 in 4 months.

Been steady at 36 or 37 for over a year. Officially in remission now, definitely not "cured" as still have a few (reduced) symptoms and still certainly can't handle carbs.

No calorie counting, no fat or protein counting. Ate ~20g carb/day from veg. Never hungry. No additional exercise. Weight loss followed and continues - not sure exactly how much but maybe total of 15kg in 18 months so far. It has really not been so difficult.

Reactions: DaPa and ultradad

SLLH

that’s fantastic and needed hear this. I recently got diagnosed and struggling lose weight. I am iF but perhaps my 10 hour to eat window too large. Out interest how many carbs and sat fat did u eat a day. ? I track my macros did u do this and calorie count. ? I’m thrilled you reversed. I’m feeling so low I just don’t lose anything
I decided early on was to find a way of eating that was for life. I don't count calories or anything really. I eat plenty of different veg and salad in many ways with lean protein in fact I have halved my protein intake, I really don't need a whole chicken breast or a big piece of fish. I eat fruit daily, apple after dinner. Berries with full fat natural yogurt, chopped nuts, seeds & oats with lunch. Everyone is different so it depends on what you like to eat & what your body can tolerate. I make all my food from scratch, even my sauces so there is no hidden sugar. I prepare my lunches for work in advance etc.
I hope this helps

Reactions: EllieM and LaoDan