Role of magnesium in Type2 Diabetes

How common it is to find Hypomagnesemia among Type 2 Diabetes patients?
How does Hypomagnesemia affect outcome of Type2 Diabetes?
Does Magnesium supplimentation improve insulin sensitivity?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-11-18-37-06-99.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-11-18-37-06-99.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Screenshot_2021-06-11-18-37-29-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-11-18-37-29-31.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 146

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s not type 2 or even specifically diabetes related, but you might find this interesting:

Reactions: Drfarxan

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I also watched his other video about magnesium deficancy that was very informative and i have ordered some tablets :)

If you also take vitaminD it is essential to take magnesium and K2 as well. They all work together.

Getting the right magnesium is essential and taking it at the right time. Some magnesium you take to help sleep, some you take to energise- therefore take those in the morning.

There is an excellent FB group called vitamin D wellness group that gives such good information about the magnesium to take and the other two vitamins.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I take magnesium an hour or so before bed, I read somewhere that’s the best time. I also take a zinc + copper and a melatonin. I sleep like a rock.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read that magnesium glycinate is better absorbed and easier on the stomach; however, I'm staring at the ceiling during the night- perhaps has to do with when I take the magnesium glycinate.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also watched his other video about magnesium deficancy that was very informative and i have ordered some tablets :)
Depending on the variety you might need to stay near the loo if you take too much.. maybe start with a low dose!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read that magnesium glycinate is better absorbed and easier on the stomach; however, I'm staring at the ceiling during the night- perhaps has to do with when I take the magnesium glycinate.

I was taking magnesium malate (about 650mg daily) for a while but have recently switched to glycinate (600mg daily). Following some reading (actually in relation to vitamin d3), I’m about to combine the two, using malate (supposed to help with energy levels) in the morning and glycinate (supposed to be calming) in the evening. I’m currently struggling with fatigue resulting from long Covid as well as lack of sleep.

I have not had gastric issues with either malate or glycinate, but have experienced them with citrate.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

There’s loads of different varieties and some energise and should be taken in the morning and some help sleep and should be taken at night.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was taking magnesium malate (about 650mg daily) for a while but have recently switched to glycinate (600mg daily). Following some reading (actually in relation to vitamin d3), I’m about to combine the two, using malate (supposed to help with energy levels) in the morning and glycinate (supposed to be calming) in the evening. I’m currently struggling with fatigue resulting from long Covid as well as lack of sleep.

I have not had gastric issues with either malate or glycinate, but have experienced them with citrate.

The vitamin d wellness group on FB has huge amount of information on it and recommendations for specific ones as well, timings and to take with K2.

Very good clear explanations.
Just wish the capsules were easier to take. My hubby chokes on them every time he takes them...
There are good powder forms too but he’s so fussy!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The vitamin d wellness group on FB has huge amount of information on it and recommendations for specific ones as well, timings and to take with K2.

Very good clear explanations.
Just wish the capsules were easier to take. My hubby chokes on them every time he takes them...
There are good powder forms too but he’s so fussy!!

Thanks. I’ve been having a read through. Will likely be paying more attention to the timings/dosage than the brand recommendations as those I’ve seen so far (for d3 at least) contain seed oils (sunflower oil) and I don’t do those! It is a mine of information though.

I wasn’t aware how intertwined magnesium is with d3 - have been aware of k2 for some time.

Editing to say I must have followed some old or duff links as their UK recommended supplements DON’T have sunflower oil in. Far more reassuring!

Last edited:
Reactions: donnellysdogs

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wish the capsules were easier to take. My hubby chokes on them every time he takes them
I find that mine are crunchable. They dissolve to a chalky mess in the mouth. Not exactly pleasent but better than choking

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Took my first magnesium tablet last night (250mg) and had a good bowel movement after breakfast :joyful:. Not sure if i was due to go or the tablet :happy:. Since i started the diet 3 weeks ago i been going every couple of days and not much either. If i start going regular i am going to asume its the tablet :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Took my first magnesium tablet last night (250mg) and had a good bowel movement after breakfast :joyful:. Not sure if i was due to go or the tablet :happy:. Since i started the diet 3 weeks ago i been going every couple of days and not much either. If i start going regular i am going to asume its the tablet :)
Which magnesium is it you are taking?

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its from Holland and Barrett. Magnesium 100 tablets (250mg). Cost 9.99 and you can get a second bottle for 1 pence. I read a review that there Magnesium Citrate tabs were very big and tasted like chalk. I had no problem swallowing the ones i bought and taste fine. Just going to take 1 at night and see how it goes :)

Drfarxan

I love peanuts and i don't think ill ever stop eating them even though its high in carbs (21g in 100g), good news is its a very good source of magnesium.
I don't suppliments or pills especial when it comes to essensial minerals or vitamins

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Milk of Magnesia was a childhood laxative given at school. It is an essential mineral in trace amounts, and generally, a modern diet will supply your needs. I believe supplementation only works while you have a deficiency, Suggest occasional top-up rather than a daily dose. And eat up your greens!

From memory, I recall that the magnesium when in chelated form is the most effective form, but it used to be sold as such, and I have not seen it on sale recently. I suspect it is now called glycated. The mineral zinc is similar, and it may be better to go for a zinc_+ magnesium combined pill.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Magnesium is an essential mineral involved in the Krebs or Citric Cycle, for the transfer of energy from the blood to the cells, It acts as a catalyst in the chemical reactions.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I wasting my time and money? I use a spray rather than tablets. It is labelled as Magnesium Chloride Brine, pure magnesium oil. 100% magnesium with nothing added and nothing removed. It comes from the sea bed in the Netherlands. I was advised that a spray absorbs better than tablets. 4 sprays = 66mg. A teaspoon = 560mg. I use it in the mornings about 2 or 3 times a week. I don't need it to sleep - that has never been a problem for me.