Type 1 on low carb /cholesterol levels have increased

SJS5

I have been doing low carb for approx a year.

I came off statins a few months ago as I was concerned about long term effects and I had less energy whilst on them and hips felt more achey (may have been in my head as i dont like taking them lol)

I just got my blood results today and my total cholesterol has gone up to 5.9mmol from 5.2.

HDL has increased to 2 .6 from 2.2 mmol

Non Ldl has increased to 3.3 from 2.8 mmols

and trigs are 0.8mmols

i know the trig and HDL are a good level but im concerned about the non LDL going above 3.
one of the diab consultants advised that all diabetics with non ldl of 3 and above should take a statin due to the increased risk of heart disease

prior to taking statins my chol was always in good ranges.4.6 total with good hdl and low ldl.(when i ate carbs)

low carb eating has increased the non ldl

what are your thoughts on statins and the LDL rise with low carb .My consultant has encouraged me to restart the statin.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The two posts above..SPOT ON.

Have to wonder how long before the stain effect leaves a persons body, though ?

could it be the statins causing the rise, even after you stopped ?

If i could, i would liken T2D Treatment being from the past and using data far beyond it's use by date.

Most data is dominated by the historical.

and for diabetes that would have been before libre and deffo before LCHF/keto had such a following.

so back in the day, we all listened to doctors and did as we were told.
after all they studied for ages to be experts in a given field.

But the give away is in the field, aka General Practitioner. GP

how one earth could they update themselves on everything.

We however CAN, because it's personal, so we MAKE the time,

so all the stats are screwed because SO many followed the given advice ,
because where else MIGHT they get the idea others ways MIGHT be better..mmhh.

WE now have the web..so the wisdom of crowds..(in my signature, well worth a watch )
comes to the fore, people save themselves and pass on the message, and others follow by observing how well those others did

YET that data has still to dilute the OLD, OLD, data sources

so while many have MUCH better Lipid panels..:)D)
dogma says all T2D are the same . so must be treated accordingly.

we will get there eventually, but for now, far too many have to wrestle with the idea
of abandoning the structures they knew and trusted,
for a framework of support that MAKES good sense,
yet doesn't have the backing of the majority of the Medical establishment.

long story short.

Kids no longer sweep chimneys
because we've moved on.

Current T2D practice is too far weighted by the old ways.
we need more enlightened doctors like Dr Unwin,
a few more years and this idea T2D's naturally die early, of CVD will be outmoded.

As will the "you MUST have statins ASAP"

For now, we must endure & educate ourselves.

There is even some disagreement that lower cholesterol is even good for us.
and that many might benefit as they age from Cholesterol being higher, as it may have a protective factor.

SJS5

Thanks for the replies.

I have done a lot of research, a lot of it is geared towards type 2 diabetes. I am type 1 so will always be on insulin and have the additional cardiovascular risk ,although that is debatable as most of the research is on type 2 diabetes

I am just concerned about the increase in non LDL.

It is so hard to know what to do for the best as consultants and GPs are not up to date and have the same mantra of everyone who is diabetic must be on statins.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies.

I have done a lot of research, a lot of it is geared towards type 2 diabetes. I am type 1 so will always be on insulin and have the additional cardiovascular risk ,although that is debatable as most of the research is on type 2 diabetes

I am just concerned about the increase in non LDL.

It is so hard to know what to do for the best as consultants and GPs are not up to date and have the same mantra of everyone who is diabetic must be on statins.
I'm in the same position (low trigs/high hdl) with high total cho. Mine's 4.8 btw with hdl 2.7 trig 0.7
Had the same chat with my consultant who went through the motions re the lipid lowering but agreed that my ratio is very good and given my lack of other risk factors I am not at high risk of heart disease. Or maybe he was just not interested enough to argue back! It felt like a box ticking exercise.
On this basis I won't get a calcium score done or further particle analysis.
I believe I've got lots of large fluffy particles rather than the more damaging small dense ones.
I think my blood glucose levels are likely to be more of a risk since I'm not insulin resistant, so anything I can do to get them under 7.0 such as eating much less carb is a good idea from my POV.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still waiting for a study that shows that reducing cholesterol actually offers some benefit.
There seems to be an assumption that lower cholesterol is good - but no one appears to be checking up.
It loos like reducing cholesterol by taking medication can actually be detrimental, but everyone who has any say in the matter seems to be oblivious.

SJS5

I'm in the same position (low trigs/high hdl) with high total cho. Mine's 4.8 btw with hdl 2.7 trig 0.7
Had the same chat with my consultant who went through the motions re the lipid lowering but agreed that my ratio is very good and given my lack of other risk factors I am not at high risk of heart disease. Or maybe he was just not interested enough to argue back! It felt like a box ticking exercise.
On this basis I won't get a calcium score done or further particle analysis.
I believe I've got lots of large fluffy particles rather than the more damaging small dense ones.
I think my blood glucose levels are likely to be more of a risk since I'm not insulin resistant, so anything I can do to get them under 7.0 such as eating much less carb is a good idea from my POV.

Hi

My cholesterol used to be 4.6mmols it has now gone up doing low carb. I am hoping the LDL is the large fluffy variety.Not sure if I should reduce fat and increase protein?

I am happy with the increase in HDL and the low trigs. I just cant find any definitive research that suggests low LDL is a good thing. In fact small bit of evidence I have found suggests a higher level is protective especially in women.

I need to work on my blood sugars as like you this will cause me more harm.

I have libre sensor which shows by average is around 7.6mmols ,although my recent Hba1c came back at 59mmols which I was not happy about as it does not correlate with what the libre is telling me.

the joys!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

My cholesterol used to be 4.6mmols it has now gone up doing low carb. I am hoping the LDL is the large fluffy variety.Not sure if I should reduce fat and increase protein?

I am happy with the increase in HDL and the low trigs. I just cant find any definitive research that suggests low LDL is a good thing. In fact small bit of evidence I have found suggests a higher level is protective especially in women.

I need to work on my blood sugars as like you this will cause me more harm.

I have libre sensor which shows by average is around 7.6mmols ,although my recent Hba1c came back at 59mmols which I was not happy about as it does not correlate with what the libre is telling me.

the joys!
I'd concur . The fact there's a drug to reduce LDL but not one that raises HDL or lowers Triglycerides perhaps gives us a clue as to the dogma of all diabetics must lower their LDL
I won't be guzzling butter coffees and fat bombs personally but I am going to continue with cheese, butter, yoghurt and juicy steaks!