Eating Out Normally Again Is Something I Dream Of

If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thought of vegetables day after day after day for all eternity
When I read all the "helpful articles" on the web, they all seem to suggest swap x for a healthy salad. I think they just don't get it. It was also a bit tongue in cheek but some truth in it. .

Reactions: T2 Woman and Sad21+

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I read all the "helpful articles" on the web, they all seem to suggest swap x for a healthy salad. I think they just don't get it. It was also a bit tongue in cheek but some truth in it. .
Just eat meat, fish and lots of it.. no need for salad at all..

Newly diagnosed

I went out for dinner last night, I had triple cooked chips, a double cheese and bacon burger ( with no bun) and 3 vodka and diet cokes. Blood sugars 5.3 last night snd 5.0 this morning! Restaurant was more than happy to serve with no bun with the burger and sauce I the side. Have to add the portion of chips wasn’t huge, about 12 chips, but enough to satisfy me!

Reactions: Sad21+

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Green vegetables are also low carb.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I love salad, add cheese to make it more delicious.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I love salad, add cheese to make it more delicious.
When going out, what you have to be wary of in restaurants are the dressings they add to salads. But of course some restaurants will also whack on coleslaw or potato salad and that’s where issues easily can crop up

Most Salads though, In of themselves generally low carb as other posters are saying. Some things like tomato’s, cucumber and peppers can be higher but still, generally fine outside of strict keto. Personally I have salad cream with mine, but I do weigh and check carbs, mayo I know is better but it’s not something I particularly like.

But, still better than chips or garlic bread etc :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Personally I have salad cream with mine, but I do weigh and check carbs, mayo I know is better but it’s not something I particularly like.

Homemade salad dressings are generally carb free (oil plus vinegar or lemon juice) mayo which is egg yolk plus oil plus lemom juice or vinegar. Not sure why shop bought dressings tend to have carbs, I guess they either use sugar as a preservative, or to make them tastier for the sugar addicted crowd,

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure why shop bought dressings tend to have carbs
Because they use a lot of cheap water in them and then need to use a thickener to thicken it again! And yes, often sugar is added as well.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A short rant - been invited to end of school year staff lunch - I would like to go. Food choices? Fish and chips or pizza and chips. So I had to respectfully decline. But it makes me both mad and sad.
Take a bowl of salad or low carb side of choice and have the fish - peel off the batter (or eat a minimal amount) and squeeze some lemon juice onto it. I usually have fish from the fish shop once a week and it is a nice change.
You could ask for a large fish, no chips - just to emphasis that for some people that is important.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With restaurants my cheat is to drink alcohol. A few beers before we sit down or a glass of wine at the table takes care of the carbs in what I eat. Noticed it while on the CGM that a battered cod & chips never got out of the 5s once I had a few Coors light beforehand. There's probably a downside but I'm not going looking for it.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With restaurants my cheat is to drink alcohol. A few beers before we sit down or a glass of wine at the table takes care of the carbs in what I eat. Noticed it while on the CGM that a battered cod & chips never got out of the 5s once I had a few Coors light beforehand. There's probably a downside but I'm not going looking for it.
Surely the alcohol only delays the effect of the carbs rather than negating it. If alcohol is really the antidote for carbs, can I get a bottle of brandy on prescription?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely the alcohol only delays the effect of the carbs rather than negating it. If alcohol is really the antidote for carbs, can I get a bottle of brandy on prescription?

From what I saw with my CGM the carbs never spiked at all, alcohol remains my fast acting insulin.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Surely the alcohol only delays the effect of the carbs rather than negating it.
I always thought the alcohol stopped the liver chiming in with some helpful extra sugar. I guess @Ronancastled can cope with the carbs he eats if they aren't supplemented by his liver?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always thought the alcohol stopped the liver chiming in with some helpful extra sugar. I guess @Ronancastled can cope with the carbs he eats if they aren't supplemented by his liver?
Doesn't the liver only provide extra glucose when the level in the blood is low, which it wouldn't be after high carb consumption.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

A gentle reminder - bearing in mind I’m as guilty as anyone else. Drink is obviously closely related to food and the divergence onto all things drink and the liver has been interesting, however the thread is about carb conscious food choices when eating out, so please can we return to that?

Thanks.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
20210623_130923_copy_1512x2016.jpg
Ray, with asparagus, lemon and caper butter, prawns, salad and flowers. Who says nothing to choose except bland? Not me!
20210623_130923_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Reactions: EllieM and HSSS