Newly diagnosed

KSMG

Hi, I was diagnosed with type2 yesterday and prescribed Metformin. The GP hasn’t given me any other real info as it was a telephone consultation. She said that they will recheck my bloods in 3 months- is there anything else that I should of been told?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, I was diagnosed with type2 yesterday and prescribed Metformin. The GP hasn’t given me any other real info as it was a telephone consultation. She said that they will recheck my bloods in 3 months- is there anything else that I should of been told?

Hi and welcome to the forums.

What was your diagnosis based on? Have you had an HbA1c blood test? What were the results?

Generally I agree with the comment above about testing your glucose levels. You kinda need to know what effect certain foods are having on your body.

Have you been given any dietary advice?

Be prepared to cut down on carbohydrate in food (bread, pasta, rice and.potato) because it all turns to glucose in your bloodstream. Many of our members have given up medication by changing diet.

Reactions: KSMG and jjraak

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, get hold of a glucose meter and test strips. Reduce the Carbs in your diet. Do you have excess weight?

Reactions: KSMG and jjraak

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It would be useful to know the basis for your diagnosis and you GP should provide that. I would guess it was a HbA1c test that measured your average blood glucose.
Diabetes is controllable and can even be pushed into remission by appropriate diet and exercise and also in some cases medication too.
Whatever route you take, you’ll find navigating that route is very much better if you can test your blood glucose levels and see and record how they vary with diet and exercise.
It is early days for you and there’s a lot to learn, but as is often said ‘it’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon’, so don’t get too hung up about matters and try to gain some positive feelings about the progress you are about to start to make.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

Well not very helpful from your doctor but to be honest it could have been worse unfortunately.

My first piece of advice is always invest in a meter. Most doctors actually recommend against it because od their perception that type 2 diabetes is a progressive illness and nothing you can do to stop that. Many people here have demonstrated otherwise.

So a meter and start testing. Log your foods- particularly your carbs. Carbs turn to glucose once eaten and I have found that by dramatically reducing my carb intake my levels are well within the normal range.

It can take a while to get your head around it all but you have found the best place in the world for someone with diabetes to get help information advice and support.

Take a breath, it is a marathon not a sprint- you will get there. Read around the forum and ask questions. People here are very willing to help.

Welcome.

Reactions: KSMG

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Welcome to the Forum. As I have found a great place to start and get advice

Agree with others get a meter so you can test your levels. Reduce the carbs in your diet straight away. Post your results and any questions you have. Take your time and look thru the resources on this site to educate you on your diabetes journey

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm now coming up to four weeks diagnosed, and it has been daunting but the good people on here have really helped me greatly to understand and to learn about what I am doing.

Little things will always throw a spanner in the works, but if you want to change, you will get through them.

Good luck!

Reactions: KSMG and EllieM

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey and welcome to the club that no one wants to join.
This is a fabulous resource and was absolutely vital in my sending my T2D into remission.
Stay with us and browse around you are in for a steep learning curve.

Couple of pointers
Get your medical info or as much as you can. It’s yours and you need to know your starting point.

Get a meter so you can work out which foods you can tolerate and which you can’t

Learn about the role of carbs which is absolutely key.
Study low carb diet

Dont worry…
The good people on here will help immensely.
This is a community of people many of whom have stood exactly in your shoes…. We really do get it.
Stick with us.
It will be fine