Got Diagnosed Today

User1007

Hi All,
I am 40 years old. Over the last 3 months I was feeling some numbness in my right feet. It feels like a socks is stuck. I went to the GP and he suggested to a Diabetes and Lipid profile.
The Lipid profile is normal where as in the diabetes profile fasting glucose came as 128mg/dl and hba1c as 5.9. I did a review of the results with GP and he suggested to do a OGTT test.

I did the OGTT test yesterday and got the results today

Fasting - 128
1 hour - 320
2 hours- 205

I did a review with the GP. He confirmed it as Diabetes Type 2. He prescribed Metformin 500mg to be taken twice daily, one before breakfast and the other before dinner.
GP asked me to come for a review after 1 month.

I will start the medications from tonight.

This is the beginning of a new life long journey.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I would not be too pessimistic about your future - with any luck you could be back in normal numbers in 6 months and if you are willing to avoid high carb foods you could stay there for the rest of your life, with the added advantage of not needing to worry about your weight, and maybe your blood pressure and heart health too.
Even though carbohydrate is labelled as healthy, I have yet to find it so myself.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
I am 40 years old. Over the last 3 months I was feeling some numbness in my right feet. It feels like a socks is stuck. I went to the GP and he suggested to a Diabetes and Lipid profile.
The Lipid profile is normal where as in the diabetes profile fasting glucose came as 128mg/dl and hba1c as 5.9. I did a review of the results with GP and he suggested to do a OGTT test.

I did the OGTT test yesterday and got the results today

Fasting - 128
1 hour - 320
2 hours- 205

I did a review with the GP. He confirmed it as Diabetes Type 2. He prescribed Metformin 500mg to be taken twice daily, one before breakfast and the other before dinner.
GP asked me to come for a review after 1 month.

I will start the medications from tonight.

This is the beginning of a new life long journey.
That's a good way to start. It's possible to achieve change very quickly - attitude is everything. Low carb got me back to normal BG in four months, others have done it quicker and from worse starting positions. You'll find a lot of helpful support and advice on here, and any number of different viewpoints. Ask questions.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@User1007 Hi and welcome to the forum.

I agree with @KennyA that cutting Carbs it the first/best thing to try.
I also suggest that you keep a food diary and use a Blood Glucose meter to test before each meal, then 2hrs after 1st bite in order to find which foods affect your BG the least.
In the UK the BG meters read in mmol and the things to aim for are: 1. before to after meal rise of 2.0 mmol or less.
2. Maximum reading of 8.0 mmol or less.

If you can cut carbohydrate foods enough to achieve that then within a few weeks your Blood Glucose will be low enough to get you back into the pre-diabetes range.

I don't believe that all T2 diabetics need to cut calories ( I didn't) and that in some cases it can delay improvements, so try counting carbs first.
Here is a link about Low carb: The Nutritional Thingy. | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community