New to 16:8

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I’m type one and started 16;8 fasting yesterday.
My overall control is 6.8 but I want it to be lower.
I done no carbs for two weeks but didn’t lose weight, I need to lose 2-3 stone so I thought maybe 16:8 will help me.
Can any of you share with me your success stories on this way of life?

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm relatively new to IF myself, and I'm also Type 2, so I don't think my experience is complete enough to be relevant to you, but as a T2 I saw some pretty significant early success in weight loss. I'm doing LCHF along with it so it's hard to pull the strands apart and say what's what. But welcome, and good luck. I hope you get what you need out of it.

I found 16:8 pretty easy to be honest. It's basically don't eat after dinner, and depending on your schedule either skip breakfast or eat it a little later than usual.

Reactions: Lil_Miss_Cuddly

frankbegbie

Hello

I’m type one and started 16;8 fasting yesterday.
My overall control is 6.8 but I want it to be lower.
I done no carbs for two weeks but didn’t lose weight, I need to lose 2-3 stone so I thought maybe 16:8 will help me.
Can any of you share with me your success stories on this way of life?
I've been low carbing for a couple of years now but have not lost any weight.
I've tried fasting for different lengths of time 3, 4 and 5 days but still no weight loss.
When I do eat its always around 16-8.
I'm currently trying the 5-2 diet where I am eating for 5 days then fasting for 2 days in a row.

I'm reading a book on 5-2 eating, and they say you should only fast for one day then eat normally so your metabolism doesn't slow down through starvation. So I'm splitting the fasting days now.

Fast. Feast. Repeat Gin Stephens.: The Clean Fast Protocol for Health

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51168294-fast-feast-repeat

I'm hoping this is the answer for me.

Lilylala

Been doing omad since 1/2/20 so 5 months in and type 2 taking humulin m3 I am 24/1 eat at 7 each evening then don't eat again till 7 pm next day .I have found that my insulin I had to adjust along the way was 40 units am/ pm now down to just 16 units pm when I eat.I try to stick to meat and salad most days but I do have a take away most weekends and cake as a treat , so far I have lost 40 lb .So fast / feast / repeat its worked for me , also I drink plenty of water , 1 can of diet cola with my meal and a glass or 2 of rose wine at the weekend.Hope this helps.

frankbegbie

Been doing omad since 1/2/20 so 5 months in and type 2 taking humulin m3 I am 24/1 eat at 7 each evening then don't eat again till 7 pm next day .I have found that my insulin I had to adjust along the way was 40 units am/ pm now down to just 16 units pm when I eat.I try to stick to meat and salad most days but I do have a take away most weekends and cake as a treat , so far I have lost 40 lb .So fast / feast / repeat its worked for me , also I drink plenty of water , 1 can of diet cola with my meal and a glass or 2 of rose wine at the weekend.Hope this helps.

I'm staying off any flavoured drinks. I used to have orange juice (no added sugar) every morning then tea with milk and a sweetener, but am now doing a 'clean' fast because she says that even just the illusion of sweetness will make your body respond by increasing your insulin.
So it's just water, tea or coffee from now on with no milk or sweetener.
It's a bit rough to be honest but I'm sick of failure and am pretty desperate.
If this works I may graduate to one meal a day.

mouseee

Two weeks probably wont show weight loss yet. I posted on here not long after I started low carb as I hadnt lost and a month after that it started falling off. I lost 2 stone in about 6 months.
So, not advice about fasting but just to stick at whatever you choose. Low carb will pay off soon.

frankbegbie

Two weeks probably wont show weight loss yet. I posted on here not long after I started low carb as I hadnt lost and a month after that it started falling off. I lost 2 stone in about 6 months.
So, not advice about fasting but just to stick at whatever you choose. Low carb will pay off soon.
I just tested my insulin level and it was a full 2.5 points above where it usually is.
That was after a cup of tea with just a bit of Soya milk in it.
Now milk is off the menu when I'm fasting.
Eating normally today so it doesn't matter so much.

Elsinore

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The 65 pounds I've put on in the 10 years since taking insulin. My pot is HUGE.
Hi all. New-ish here.
I was doing the 16/8 and it was working. Freaked my diabetes doc and nurse out... told me to not fast beyond 12 hours.
I'm thinking of going back to it. Good idea?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. New-ish here.
I was doing the 16/8 and it was working. Freaked my diabetes doc and nurse out... told me to not fast beyond 12 hours.
I'm thinking of going back to it. Good idea?
Did the nurse and doc give you any reason? I guess they were concerned about hypos.. but if you know what you're doing then...

Elsinore

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The 65 pounds I've put on in the 10 years since taking insulin. My pot is HUGE.
Did the nurse and doc give you any reason? I guess they were concerned about hypos.. but if you know what you're doing then...
Yes, it was fear of lows. She has cut back my night time insulin and now every morning I'm at 12mmol at 8 am and it continues to climb up until 11 am. Dawn phenomenon is making me feel so sluggish in the morning.
Frankly I'm at a loss as to how to beat the DP.
Kind regards all.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it was fear of lows. She has cut back my night time insulin and now every morning I'm at 12mmol at 8 am and it continues to climb up until 11 am. Dawn phenomenon is making me feel so sluggish in the morning.
Frankly I'm at a loss as to how to beat the DP.
Kind regards all.

Again if you know what you are doing then do what you think is best for you?
Guessing your nurse isn't T1 so ...

kaym

I've been doing IF for a month now. I was looking for the best diet for me personally and after years of searches IF became my savior. I started doing it after I found out it can reduce insulin resistance, and also provide me with a bunch of other health benefits aside from helping me to lose extra weight. So now I feel like IF is my lifestyle, not a diet.

Reactions: Roggg

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I'm relatively new to IF myself, and I'm also Type 2, so I don't think my experience is complete enough to be relevant to you, but as a T2 I saw some pretty significant early success in weight loss. I'm doing LCHF along with it so it's hard to pull the strands apart and say what's what. But welcome, and good luck. I hope you get what you need out of it.

I found 16:8 pretty easy to be honest. It's basically don't eat after dinner, and depending on your schedule either skip breakfast or eat it a little later than usual.
Roggg I've just found this Fasting log on here, and seen your post. I wanted to say Thank you so much for inadvertently helping me to understand 16/8 fasting. (I felt too stupid to actually 'ask' on the site) I have only just tried fasting ... I began on Monday morning, but did it all wrong as I skipped all food right up til 3pm. Now I understand that I really don't need to do that :)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What's do you think is wrong about that?
Hi Bulkbiker
Well I just had no idea what I was doing to be truthful, but I really have to do something positive to save my sight.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bulkbiker
Well I just had no idea what I was doing to be truthful, but I really have to do something positive to save my sight.
If you are trying to intermittent fast then there's really no right or wrong way to do it..
Try to do what feels good to you. I rarely ever eat before 3 pm these days and have coffee with double cream as my fasting crutch. I'll usually have a light meal at 3- 4pm cold meats or the like and then "proper" dinner at about 7 pm followed by another coffee then nothing until the next day.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you are trying to intermittent fast then there's really no right or wrong way to do it..
Try to do what feels good to you. I rarely ever eat before 3 pm these days and have coffee with double cream as my fasting crutch. I'll usually have a light meal at 3- 4pm cold meats or the like and then "proper" dinner at about 7 pm followed by another coffee then nothing until the next day.
Bulkbiker, thank you for the encouragement, which I think I need. I'm not terribly overweight (with a BMI of 26) but I've noticed symptoms creeping in over the last 6 months, such as a pronounced heartbeat when I'm in bed and blurry left eye (I have glaucoma) and that I cannot get up if crouched down without holding onto things. It's all new symptoms and so I decided to try to limit carbs for a few hours each morning to give my Pancreas a rest. I have to care for a daughter with severe stress issues relating to Aspergers, and I'm all she's got, so I have t start getting myself fit. Sorry to give such a long description of things ... not intending to bore you :D

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started my journey in may so not been at this for long and not much knowledge but i have seen good results with what i am doing. I eat 3 meals a day on the carnivor diet and my last meal is 4-5 o clock and thats it till breakfast the next day at 7ish in the morning. Not sure if you can call 12-14 hrs in between meals intermittent but i have lost a steady 2 pounds a week and i am down 2.5 stone since i started :)

I go for a walk with the dogs now and again but nothing special. Bloods look great and under control. Was 4.9 at 16.00 yeasterday before my meal and 6.1 at 20.30 and was at 5.2 this morning at 6.40. I test 3 times a day and those numbers are my daily averages give or take 0.5

Going to be about november on wards before they redo my hba1c and i am aiming for remission. Just need to keep on doing what i am doing :)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I started my journey in may so not been at this for long and not much knowledge but i have seen good results with what i am doing. I eat 3 meals a day on the carnivor diet and my last meal is 4-5 o clock and thats it till breakfast the next day at 7ish in the morning. Not sure if you can call 12-14 hrs in between meals intermittent but i have lost a steady 2 pounds a week and i am down 2.5 stone since i started :)

I go for a walk with the dogs now and again but nothing special. Bloods look great and under control. Was 4.9 at 16.00 yeasterday before my meal and 6.1 at 20.30 and was at 5.2 this morning at 6.40. I test 3 times a day and those numbers are my daily averages give or take 0.5

Going to be about november on wards before they redo my hba1c and i am aiming for remission. Just need to keep on doing what i am doing :)
Ultradad, since I posted on here four weeks ago I have done several mixed length fasts, mostly of between 15 to 20 hours, and have been surprised how easy they are to do. I had always dismissed the idea in the past as I imagined I'd be hungry or feel weak! It's taught me never to jump to conclusions :D When I posted the above message just over four weeks back my BMI was 26 but today it is 24.4 which is amazing! I am so happy that I listened to bulkbiker as he is my main man (helpwise) and gave me the confidence to have a go. My BMI is now in the top end of normal on the charts but I still have another 14 pounds to lose to be 'mid-field' :)