Slowly working it out

RadDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey there, I’ve been reading and lurking on here having been diagnosed TYPE 2 in mid June and slowly getting my head around things. Thought I’d say hi.

I’ve been put on metformin 500mg twice a day as well as 40mg of gliclazide once a day, also on 5mg of ramipril as my blood pressure is around 150/100 currently.

My numbers when diagnosed were Hb1ac of 101 and my finger prick tests at home began at around 16. I’ve got them down to between 5 and 8 currently although I did see a 9 yesterday morning but was back down to 5.1 in the evening.

I’ve noticed how exercising helps to bring the numbers down. Initially I was going for walks, listening to music and getting away to think. After a few weeks I felt I wanted more and started the Couchto5k, I’m currently on week 4 and totally loving it, something I never thought I’d say!!

Over the years I’ve enjoyed a drink and smoked too much, both of which have been knocked on the head since diagnosis, sooooo happy to say goodbye to smoking…

I’ve also been watching what I eat, mostly trying to cut out carbs but not following any diet as such. I’ve cut out bread, pasta, rice and potatoes mostly, celeriac has been a great replacement for potatoes and the cauliflower rice has worked well. I’ve found some low carb soya pasta in Aldi, I’ll post a pic in another post, that’s worked well and I’ve found a low carb bread in Waitrose that 11g per 100 which is working ok, will also post pics.

I do love to cook so have quite enjoyed working it all out tbh… swapping out lettuce for tacos was an easy and tasty win. I’ll also post a couple of food books that have helped me too.

I had a second blood test a couple of weeks back and my hb1ac was down to 75, the doctor was pleased and said to continue with what I’m doing and to see me in 6 months.

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Like your style @RadDad ,

upload_2021-7-23_10-47-34.png

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hey there, I’ve been reading and lurking on here having been diagnosed TYPE 2 in mid June and slowly getting my head around things. Thought I’d say hi.

I’ve been put on metformin 500mg twice a day as well as 40mg of gliclazide once a day, also on 5mg of ramipril as my blood pressure is around 150/100 currently.

My numbers when diagnosed were Hb1ac of 101 and my finger prick tests at home began at around 16. I’ve got them down to between 5 and 8 currently although I did see a 9 yesterday morning but was back down to 5.1 in the evening.

I’ve noticed how exercising helps to bring the numbers down. Initially I was going for walks, listening to music and getting away to think. After a few weeks I felt I wanted more and started the Couchto5k, I’m currently on week 4 and totally loving it, something I never thought I’d say!!

Over the years I’ve enjoyed a drink and smoked too much, both of which have been knocked on the head since diagnosis, sooooo happy to say goodbye to smoking…

I’ve also been watching what I eat, mostly trying to cut out carbs but not following any diet as such. I’ve cut out bread, pasta, rice and potatoes mostly, celeriac has been a great replacement for potatoes and the cauliflower rice has worked well. I’ve found some low carb soya pasta in Aldi, I’ll post a pic in another post, that’s worked well and I’ve found a low carb bread in Waitrose that 11g per 100 which is working ok, will also post pics.

I do love to cook so have quite enjoyed working it all out tbh… swapping out lettuce for tacos was an easy and tasty win. I’ll also post a couple of food books that have helped me too.

I had a second blood test a couple of weeks back and my hb1ac was down to 75, the doctor was pleased and said to continue with what I’m doing and to see me in 6 months.
Hi RadDad. Your post has inspired me and you are really knocking it on the head! Thank you for posting as it helps people like me who really do get spurred on by these positive posts :)

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Totally awesome!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @RadDad and welcome to the forum.
Well done on your progress so far. Since the HbA1C gives an estimate of the Blood Glucose over the last 3 months, it is almost certain that your next HbA1C test will show an evenb better number.
Keep doing the Low Carb, it is working for you.

Have you read Jo Kalsbeek's nutrituional 'thingy' ?
Here is a link to it: The Nutritional Thingy. | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

Two of the most popular BG meters (relatively cheap test strips around £8 for 50) used by self funding members of this forum are:
Spirit TEE2
SD Gloco Navii
Both are available online in the UK.
By using a meter you can find which foods to avoid or cut back on. Different people react differently, so there isn't a magic carb level .

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You are doing all the right things. Can you let us know what you BMI is i.e. are you overweight? If slim then bear in mind being T1/LADA becomes possible. If you are slim and ot have lost weight recently without trying then ask for the two tests for T1. Otherwise just keep going with the low carb diet and you should get there.

RadDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. You are doing all the right things. Can you let us know what you BMI is i.e. are you overweight? If slim then bear in mind being T1/LADA becomes possible. If you are slim and ot have lost weight recently without trying then ask for the two tests for T1. Otherwise just keep going with the low carb diet and you should get there.

hey there, I’m 6ft5 and weigh about 18.3 stone.